Finance and Administrative Assistant – SC4
Application deadline in 9 days: Thursday 14 Dec 2023 at 22:59 UTCOpen application form
The Food and Agriculture Organization is specialized agency of the United Nations that leads international efforts to defeat hunger. FAO’s goal is to achieve food security for all and make sure that people have regular access to enough high-quality food to lead active, healthy lives. We believe that everyone can play a part in ending hunger. FAO in Bangladesh has been implementing activities in close cooperation with the Government of Bangladesh since its establishment in 1978.
The Finance and Administrative Assistant, SC-4 will carry out different administrative functions particularly in the area of finance in close liaison and guidance with the finance colleagues in the representation and projects towards delivering all financial transactions of in a timely manner.
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative and the direct supervision of the Assistant FAO Representative (Admin), and in close liaison and day to guidance from the colleagues in finance unit in the representation and close collaboration with all projects finance/operations colleagues, the incumbent will carry out the following activities but not limited to:
Tasks and responsibilities
• Verify/examine the accuracy of invoices and payment vouchers and need to ensure that all the requests are in line with the approved budget; • Create invoices by making entries into the Global Resources Management System (GRMS – Finance module) to settle the payments or advances; • Maintain imprest accounts; reconcile expenditures, balances, payments, statements and other data for day-to-day transactions and reports; • Retrieve, enter, select and analyse data from a wide variety of sources, including FAO’s corporate systems and databases e.g. GRMS, iMIS etc. ; • Assist to verify availability of funds and ensure that operational expenditures are in accordance with approved budgets and that all committing documents are complete and consistent; • Prepare correspondence of administrative nature; initiate correspondence to verify data, answer queries, and obtain additional information on transactions and financial matters, as required. • Maintain liaison with local banks and financial institutions to keep up-to-date with financial and regulatory information (exchange and interest rates, procedures and rules, maintenance of bank accounts, etc.). • Support the streamlining of procedures and practices, and keeping staff informed of new new information technologies or system updates as issued by the organization; • Manage and maintain petty cash account for country office ; • Provide support on monitoring the Operational Cash Advances (OCAs) and ensure that the OCAs are settled in due time; • Support on performing the monthly reconciliations of imprests accounts of the representation; • Support on preparation of the periodic budget report (Forecast for resources and expenditure) for RP budget; • Perform regular accounting payable/receivable functions in the system (GRMS); • Prepare cash forecast for representation and timely request for replenishment from the FAO treasury and maintain regular banking records; • Review the financial statements /receipts /transactions submitted by the service providers against the letters of agreements signed under TCPs and other any other projects as assigned;
• Make administrative arrangements of meetings, working groups and prepare documents; arrange for payment of participants, etc. • Provide guidance to newly joined staff on proper application of FAO’s policies/procedures on making any financial transactions; ensure accuracy and diligence of the work provided. • Assist on maintenance of filing system for all financial and administrative documents and correspondence; • Support to perform the procurement activities for the country office, when required; • Monitor the LOA activities for the projects and update/share to the A-FAOR (Admin) in case of any actions is required • Assist international staff, experts and consultants on all respects of allowances, salary (advances), and other financial matters, calculates payments etc. • Perform any other administrative duties as required in the unit or assigned by the A-FAOR (admin).
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• University degree in accounting/finance or business administration or any other related field from any reputed university. Specialized training in finance, accounting, administration, and/or office management would be added advantage. • Minimum four (4) years of progressively accounting, administrative, and office management experience in UN or any other International organizations; • Working knowledge of English and Bengali. • National of Bangladesh.
FAO Core Competencies
● Results Focus ● Teamwork ● Communication ● Building Effective Relationships ● Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one area of work, particularly in different positions, is desirable. • Previous work experience in UN system is desireable • Adbility to work in diverse environment • Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines • Ability to work under minimal supervision
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
- For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.