External Relations Jr. Consultant
Application deadline in 9 days: Thursday 7 Jul 2022 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status, physical or mental disability.
Job Title: External Relations Consultant
Type of Contract: Junior Regular Consultant
Division: CAN – Canada Global Office
Duty Station (City, Country): Ottawa, Canada
Duration: 05 months
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
Partnerships and Advocacy Department, Public Partnerships and Resourcing Unit.
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies, and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. We are currently seeking to an External Relations Jr Consultant for our Canadian Global Office, based in Ottawa, Canada.
- Act as the Driver for key political relationships, including drafting quality briefs prior to meetings, proactively highlight strategic issues to senior staff to inform decision making, managing relationship database for monitoring purposes.
- Conduct research on Canadian political and international aid priorities.
- Conduct research on key Canadian political stakeholders.
- Conduct research using internal systems in preparation for partner and donor meetings.
- Develop draft deck presentations and documents (e.g. cheat sheets, briefing notes) based on research conducted.
- Take notes during internal and external meetings with the production of official Notes for the Record and Quick Read Outs.
- Support the monitoring and reporting process of Global Office Canada’s Annual Performance Plan for all political and government engagements.
- Support the coordination of Global Office Canada’s semi-annual review workshop.
- Compile, edit and upload weekly information reports (WHID) on Canadian priorities and context for Public Partnership and Resourcing Unit.
- Compile and edit monthly Canada’s Global Office report.
- Participate in team meetings.
- Record and share minutes from team and stakeholder meetings.
- Use key information systems (e.g Salesforce, Project Factory, Grants 360) as needed for management relationship, information sharing and research.
- Provide logistical and administrative support for high level visits and events.
- Support Office Business Assistant as needed with additional tasks.
- Incorporate gender equality perspective in all areas of work
- Other tasks as required.
DELIVERABLES AT THE END OF THE CONTRACT:
Key government stakeholder relationships are monitored and follow ups presented to Office leadership.
Emails are drafted for key government stakeholders.
Reports are reviewed and summarized for key government stakeholder relationships.
Political briefs are drafted on time, demonstrating high quality research analysis.
Official notes for the record and Quick Read outs are completed on time with high quality.
Weekly reports of Canadian interest to WFP drafted.
Monthly reports are coordinated, edited and drafted.
Team meeting notes are recorded and saved as per document management.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Graduate degree in Political Studies, International Relations, International Development or relevant field.
One year previous experience
Knowledge and Skills:
Excellent Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook), knowledge of another database is an asset
Understanding of Canadian government political context, policies with a particular focus on Climate Change and Climate Financing.
Working knowledge of English (proficiency/level C) is required.
Working knowledge of French (proficiency/level C) is an asset.
Terms and Conditions
WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WFP.
http://www.wfp.org Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations.
Deadline for applications: 06 July 2022
Ref.: VA No. 167627
All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.