Application deadline 3 months ago: Wednesday 3 Mar 2021
This is a UNV International Specialist contract. This kind of contract is known as International UN Volunteer. It is normally internationally recruited only. More about UNV International Specialist contracts.
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of task
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of the Chief of Information Systems Management Unit or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UN Volunteer will:
- Assist with gathering, organizing, and analyzing information for the identification of gaps and trends, production of forecasts, and drafting of analytical reports and assessments to support UNITAD’s structural investigation, investigative interviews and case building activities.
- Undertake in-depth research and analysis of complex political, military, paramilitary, and other related activities in cases involving serious breaches of international humanitarian law, such as genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes, including sexual and gender-based violence.
- Liaise closely with investigators, lawyers, information and evidence officers to identify and analyze evidence material and further investigative leads.
- Assist national prosecutors, police or law enforcement agencies with investigative and/or prosecutorial activities.
- Assist with classifying, managing and transferring confidential information by using UNITAD’s specialized technological tools and information management processes, in consultation with information management / technology expertise.
- Maintain an understanding of developments/events relevant for the implementation of UNITAD's mandate through the monitoring and collection of data/information from multiple sources, including UNITAD components, UN Country Team (UNCT), Iraqi judicial/military/civilian authorities, NGOs, media and other key stakeholders.
- Contribute to effective working relationships within UNITAD and with the UNCT and relevant external actors and organizations such as government officials, civil society actors and UN entities by participating in briefings and conferences.
- Perform any other related duties as may be required to support the team.
Required degree level:
Bachelor degree or equivalent
Education - Additional Comments:
• An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in a relevant area, such as political science, international relations, foreign affairs, criminology, law or area related to information systems management and evidence management is required. A first-level university degree or equivalent in combination with relevant training and/or two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
• At least 2 years of professional work experience at the national and/or international level in intelligence or information analysis, political science, international relations, or other relevant programmes; experience in research, information analysis and drafting of analytical products is required. Experience working in a field- or fact-finding mission is an asset, experience working in the UN or other international development organizations is an asset.
- Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills are required.
- Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development.
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel.
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines;
- Sound security awareness.
- Have affinity with or interest in volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Arabic(Optional), Level - Working Knowledge
Area of expertise:
Monitoring and evaluation, Medical laboratory testing
Area of expertise details:
- Excellent computer skills is required; experience with evidence management and review systems is a strong asset.
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment;
Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
First register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup.
Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
First update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile.
Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 03 March 2021