English Editor – Retainer (International Consultant)
Application deadline 1 month ago: Tuesday 23 Aug 2022 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a International Consultant contract. More about International Consultant contracts.
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination and violence against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women’s China Office in Beijing supports and carries out work on (i) enhancing women's economic empowerment; (ii) ending violence against women; and (iii) innovative work to address gender issues in China. In addition to the above, UN Women also actively participates and contributes to various UN inter-agency processes and collaborates with UN organizations around specific programme areas.
Both the internal and external communications require support on editing strategic results, valuable good practices, key messages, and other documents to ensure high quality and timely rollout of the messages and reports. The needs for communication work for outreach and reporting are key to mobilizing resources and support to strengthen UN Women’s branding and position better in the country, region, and global level. These require that the UN Women China Office has the comparable capacity to meet the demand of writing and reporting needs, providing quality control and reflecting the results-based discipline, in order to support and strengthen media, advocacy, and strategic partnerships development.
UN Women China office is seeking to recruit two English Editors on a retainer contract, whose duties are as articulated below. Under the guidance and supervision of the Communications Specialist with matrix reporting to the relevant programme managers as relevant, the English Editors provide writing and editing services ensuring high quality, accuracy, and consistency of our communications and reporting work. The Editors promote a client-oriented approach consistent with UN Women’s rules and regulations. The Editors will work in close collaboration with the Communications Specialist and programme teams to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Roles and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Communications Specialist, the English Editor will be responsible for the achievement of the following tasks and deliverables:
- Editing, revising, rewriting and formatting as needed to produce high quality, reader-friendly, accessible, timely, results-based corporate communications materials including but not limited to stories, speeches, key messages and other documents aligned with UN Women's established standards and formats, and in compliance with UN Women China office clearance and routing process.
- Drafting speech and communication briefs for office events, as needed
- Report writing and editing based on the corporate and programme needs.
- Other tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
Duration of Assignment
The editors will be engaged under a retainer contract, which facilitates direct engagement of the editor depending on need and availability within the contract period for a pre-agreed fee.
- Communications materials, reports and other documents and materials that reflect high quality, result based standard and format established by UN Women.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues.
- Creative Problem Solving.
- Effective Communication.
- Inclusive Collaboration.
- Stakeholder Engagement.
- Leading by Example
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies:
- Strong communication skills.
- Capable of effectively using MS Word, PowerPoint Presentation and Excel.
- Flexibility and responsiveness to work-request, ability to work independently and effective time management as asset
Required Skills and Experience
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Master's degree or other advanced degree in one or more of the following disciplines: social sciences, international development, English literacy, and/or communications, or Bachelor's degree with 2 additional years of work experience in writing, editing, and reporting.
- Minimum of 7 years of high-level experience in writing, editing, reporting, and communicating communication material, complex research, policy and programmatic information in reader-friendly formats and styles, preferably within the UN system.
- Excellent understanding and experience with gender-sensitive and results-based management, communication, and reporting is preferred.
- Proven experience in the areas of international development, resource mobilization, and the UN context is highly desirable.
- Proficiency in English writing and editing.
Applications will be evaluated based on the cumulative analysis.
- Technical Qualification (100 points) weight; [70%]
- Financial Proposal (100 points) weight; [30%]
A two-stage procedure is utilized in evaluating the applications, with the evaluation of the technical application being completed prior to any price proposal being compared. The total number of points allocated for the technical qualification component is 100. Only the candidates who have attained a minimum of 70% of total points will be considered technically qualified and may be contacted for a validation interview.
Master's degree or other advanced degree in one or more of the following disciplines: social sciences, international development, English literacy, and/or communications, or Bachelor's degree with 2 additional years of work experience in writing, editing, and reporting.
Minimum of 7 years of high-level experience in writing, editing, reporting, and communicating communication material, complex research, policy and programmatic information in reader-friendly formats and styles, preferably within the UN system
Excellent understanding and experience with gender-sensitive and results-based management, communication, and reporting is preferred
Proven experience in the areas of international development, resource mobilization, and the UN context is highly desirable
Proficiency in English writing and editing
Financial/Price Proposal evaluation:
- Only the financial proposal of candidates who have attained a minimum of 70% score in the technical evaluation will be considered and evaluated.
- The total number of points allocated for the price component is 100.
- The maximum number of points will be allotted to the lowest price proposal that is opened/ evaluated and compared among those technical qualified candidates who have attained a minimum of 70% score in the technical evaluation. All other price proposals will receive points in inverse proportion to the lowest price.
How to apply
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit an online application no later than 23 August 2022. Kindly note the system will only allow one attachment. Please combine the below-listed submission package into one document, incomplete submission can be a ground for disqualification.
The Submission package includes:
- Motivation letter (please briefly explain why you are suitable for this consultancy and cite relevant experience)
- Education certificate
- Sample of previous writing and editing work.
- Personal History Form (P11 which can be downloaded from https://www.unwomen.org/sites/default/files/Headquarters/Attachments/Sections/About%20Us/Employment/UN-Women-P11-Personal-History-Form.doc
- Financial proposal: the financial proposal shall specify a daily fee
Payments for this consultancy will be based on the achievement of each deliverable and certification that each has been satisfactorily completed. Payments will not be based on the number of days worked but on the completion of each stated deliverable within the indicated timeframes on satisfactory completion of task.
At UN Women, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. UN Women recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, ability, national origin, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, competence, integrity and organizational need.
If you need any reasonable accommodation to support your participation in the recruitment and selection process, please include this information in your application.
UN Women has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UN Women, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to UN Women’s policies and procedures and the standards of conduct expected of UN Women personnel and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. (Background checks will include the verification of academic. credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.)