Application deadline in 12 days: Wednesday 8 Feb 2023 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a LICA Specialist-9 contract. This kind of contract is known as Local Individual Contractor Agreements. It is normally only for nationals. It's an external contract. It usually requires 2 years of experience, depending on education. More about LICA Specialist-9 contracts.
Background Information - Job-specific
Background Information – Amman
The UNOPS Hub in Amman implements projects in Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, Syria, Turkey, and Yemen, in partnership with bilateral donors, national governments, and other UN agencies. With an established presence across the region, the office runs operations including large-scale procurement, project development, and technical management, and provides financial, human resources, and infrastructure-related services. The functional objective of UNOPS Hub in Amman is to deliver its projects in an efficient and effective manner and in line with the principles, rules and regulations of UNOPS, in order to support the response to the current needs and national priorities in the region.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
UNOPS is committed to achieving a fully diverse workforce.
Background Information - Project-specific Currently, UNOPS is implementing projects aiming at increasing the operational capacities and resilience of the national health system in Homs Governorate through rehabilitating the Kidney Building in Homs Grand Hospital and provision of renewable energy solutions, as well as strengthening critical public services in Hama Governorate to provide essential education and health services in support of vulnerable populations through the provision of renewable energy solutions.
The functions/duties/key results of the assignment
The Electrical Engineer shall work under the direct supervision of the Project Manager or the Head of Program. The Electrical Engineer will give his/her technical support as required to manage and coordinate any assigned electrical design (Low Voltage distribution networks, Low current systems, energy generation for Infrastructure and Buildings facilities), supervision, commissioning and preparation of related documentation works. He/She is responsible for ensuring high quality design documentation, effectiveness, transparency, and integrity and assisting in ensuring that the site works are carried out on time and on or within budget, utilizing specialized Electrical Engineering Software and applications (ETAP, PRAO, Digsilent, DIALUX or similar). The tasks would involve, but not limited to, the following:
- Develop/ prepare or review the design of the Electrical components/sections of projects;
- Assist in producing Terms of References for Consultancy Services; Designs, Drawings, Technical Specifications, Scope of Works, Bills of Quantities, Cost Estimations, Design Calculations, related reports for Works and Supply of Goods Contracts;
- Assist Project Managers in the preparation of Tender Documents (Concerned with Consultancies, Supply of Goods, and Works) and evaluation of Proposals;
- Assist, through the Project Manager, and/or Head of Program, the Project Team members (Architects, Engineers, Draftsperson and Quantity Surveyors, etc..) in the planning of projects, scheduling and execution of tasks and developing an integrated design;
- Assist in the coordination and follow up with the contractors, partners, and stakeholders for the various activities related to electrical components/sections of projects.
- Perform the tasks in accordance with the applicable Quality Assurance (QA)/Quality Control (QC) protocols and regulations and requirements;
- Responsible for timely delivery of the expected outputs of his/her tasks and highlight possible late delivery prior to the event;
- Assist in keeping files for all given tasks and instructions, measuring quantities of work and material on site; and
- Any other relevant task that might be assigned to the Electric Engineer.
Specifically, the Electrical Engineer will be responsible for the following substantive tasks:
- Assist in Preparing the design briefs, design reports, comprehensive design documentation, calculations, drawings, specifications, schedules, Bills of Quantities, Cost Estimations, related reports and other project documents for electrical/electromechanical engineering for projects utilising research, development, relevant international standards and codes and good engineering practises and according to the client’s design requirement, UNOPS design manual, project requirements and budget;
- Review electrical/Solar designs for Infrastructure and facilities projects in terms of accuracy, suitability to overall design requirements, including identifying improvements in the designs and to participate in proposing practical solutions;
- Perform assessment and survey of existing Electrical Systems including all components;
- Perform Load growth forecast for Buildings based on metering data, similar facilities loads, etc..
- Prepare design of Buildings (new networks, rehabilitation, expansion and extension) for SELV, LV, and MV installations;
- Identify and apply the international standards to be adopted for each category of designs;
- Design and review electrical installation and services in all types of buildings including but not limited to: Lighting system, Power system, and low current system;
- utilising specialized Electrical Engineering Software and applications (ETAP, PRAO, Digsilent, or similar);
- Respond, through the project manager, to the queries raised by stakeholders and UNOPS Design Review Team during final review of completed design package;
- Provide the Project Manager and Project Team with all information to execute the project in a timely manner and within the budget allocated;
- Assist in the preparation of Project Schedules (utilizing Primavera, MS Project, etc.), and assist in performing periodic updates and revisions of the schedules to meet the targets;
- Assist in preparing daily, weekly, monthly reports;
- Produce high quality Auto CAD drawings;
- Assist in: carrying out technical reviews (of the Consultants’, Suppliers’, or Contractors’ Technical Submittals, Materials catalogue sheets, Shop Drawings, As-Built Drawings, reports, deliverables, etc..), conduction site inspections, assessments, quantity surveying and preparing reports as required and providing advice on suitable alterations, guiding contractors on all related issues, and ensuring that they meet the high standards expected by UNOPS, while delivering the projects within the set time and budget constraints; and
- Assist in coordinating testing, commissioning, training and handover of systems deliverables to clients.
Governance, Monitoring and Reporting
- Maintain records for all site memos and instructions, inspections, testing, shop drawings review, measured quantities of work and material on site, photos, etc..
- Assist in archiving electrical engineering related materials
- Assist in scheduling requested tasks related to electrical works
- Maintain records, compile periodic reports and any specific reports required by UNOPS standard procedures
- Perform any other tasks relevant to the Infrastructure and Engineering Unit when required.
- Perform other related duties as requested by the Project Manager.
- Embed sustainability dimensions including social and gender inclusion, as well as Health, Safety, Security, and Environmental (HSSE) aspects into the project during the design and renovation phases.
Education:- A Master's Degree is from a accredited University required. Preferably in Electrical Engineering,. A Bachelor's Degree with additional 2 years of experience will be accepted in lieu of a Master's Degree. - Membership of a Syrian Syndicate of Engineers is mandatory. - Possession of Project Management Certificate is an asset.
Experience: - At least 2 (two) years of experience in Electrical installations for Commercial, Touristic, Healthcare, etc.. Buildings’ rehabilitation or new construction is required. - Experience in grid connected Hybrid Solar PV Projects preferably with Storage Systems is highly desired. - Experience in Power Generation and/or Medium Voltage Distribution Networks is an asset. - Work Experience with an international organization and/or UN Agencies is an asset..
- Experience in computer design software, particularly “AutoCAD” (latest Version) is required.
- Computer ability in using specialized Electrical Engineering design software and Applications (ETAP, PRAO, Digsilent, or similar) is an asset.
- Demonstrated computer ability in using MS Office Suite (Excel, Word, Power Point, etc.) is highly desired.
- Experience in computer scheduling software, particularly Primavera and/or MS Projects is an asset.
- Good experience in working with the G-Suite platform including, Google Drive, Google Calendar, Gmail, Google Sheets, Docs, and Slides is desired.
Language: - Intermediate Knowledge of the English language is required.
- Fluency in the Arabic language is required.
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles. Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role). Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries. Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements. Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving. Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local Individual Contractor Agreement Contract level: LICA-9 Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
- Please note that UNOPS does not accept unsolicited resumes.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process, which involves various assessments.
- UNOPS embraces diversity and is committed to equal employment opportunity. Our workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages, races, gender identities, sexual orientations, and abilities. UNOPS seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce.
- Qualified women and candidates from groups which are underrepresented in the UNOPS workforce are encouraged to apply. These include in particular candidates from racialized and/or indigenous groups, members of minority gender identities and sexual orientations, and people with disabilities.
- We would like to ensure all candidates perform at their best during the assessment process. If you are shortlisted and require additional assistance to complete any assessment, including reasonable accommodation, please inform our human resources team when you receive an invitation.
- This position is located in Homs and Hama, Syrian Arab Republic where Homs is a non-family duty station.
- Residence in Homs or Hama Governorate is required.
Terms and Conditions
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post.
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (they take around 4 hours to complete) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS. For more information on a retainer contract here.
- All UNOPS personnel are responsible for performing their duties in accordance with the UN Charter and UNOPS Policies and Instructions, as well as other relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, all personnel must demonstrate an understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in a manner consistent with UN core values and the UN Common Agenda.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential personnel. Recruitment in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.