Education Project Manager Sudan Darfur
Application deadline 4 months ago: Sunday 8 May 2022 at 20:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a Professional contract (NRC) contract. More about Professional contract (NRC) contracts.
Your purpose as Education Project Manager position is technical development, strategic direction, and quality assurance as well as monitoring of NRC Sudan’s Education activities and programme in Darfur region, and relevant staff mentoring and capacity development. You will be expected to follow NRC’s standards, procedures, and guidelines for project governance applicable for the particular projects. You will also be responsible for the overall planning and coordination of all Education interventions, either directly within the Education CC (Core Competency) or as an integrated approach across other CCs, across the West Area Office.
- Ensure availability of up-to-date needs assessment to inform programme design and advocacy efforts;
- Ensure all relevant stakeholders are included in the planning and implementation of projects as appropriate;
- Under the line management of the Area Manager, contribute towards drawing up plans, proposals, and budgets for new projects/extensions of projects in conjunction with the relevant team, both programme and support staff;
- Support multi-sectoral emergency preparedness and response as required by the context and management;
- Closely coordinate with all CCs in the Area Office to maximize on integrated programming and promote durable solutions.
- Overall responsibility for effective and efficient management of the Education projects across Darfur Region consistent with the project management cycle (including reporting to the desired quality and standard);
- Overall budget management for all the Education projects/portfolio implemented in the Area and ensure appropriate burn-rates are maintained and that solutions to over/under expenditure are applied;
- Responsible for providing technical and implementation support and guidance to field-based Education staff in implementing NRC project(s), including but not limited to providing instructions on work plans, approving expenses/procurement, recruitments, reporting, etc., in close coordination and collaboration with the sub-office management team;
- Responsible for providing timely and methodical updates regarding needs and trends specific to the responsible CC to the Area Manager;
- Ensure CC-specific M&E roles and responsibilities are adhered to.
Logistics, Finance, and Human Resource Management:
- Ensure appropriate Financial and Logistical NRC systems/ procedures are adhered to within the Education team (including supply chain management);
- Ensure timely and accurate development of procurement plans, recruitment plans, and spending plans per project and ensure the same is shared with relevant support colleagues;
- Responsible for ensuring timely submission of monthly CC-specific cash forecast to Finance and relevant Procurement Requests to Logistics;
- In line with project needs and funding availability, continuously and proactively plan CC-specific staff requirements and liaise with HR and Admin to ensure the same;
- Performance management of all direct reports, including regular 1:1 meetings and completion of work and development plans;
- Ensure all new team members are adequately briefed on arrival, and departing team members are debriefed;
Responsible for ensuring capacity development and training of all Education personnel.
Coordination and Representation:
Responsible for attending relevant CC-specific meetings and coordination fora, representing NRC strictly within the limit set out by the Area and Country Office;
- Conduct senior representation at state and locality levels and promote strong working relationships with government counterparts;
- In line with NRC’s standards, ensure communication plans are implemented, stakeholders are informed on NRC’s activities, and the organization is well accepted by communities;
- In charge of producing weekly and monthly CC-specific situation reports, flash reports and any other reports as requested by the Area Manager.
Please view this job description for more details
The generic professional competencies are necessary:
- Minimum of four years in a development and/or humanitarian Education programming environment, including two years’ experience in a senior level project management position;
- Previous experience working in complex contexts;
- Knowledge in protection mainstreaming, community outreach/engagement, community capacity building, and/or community-development oriented programming;
- Demonstrated experience and understanding of Project Cycle Management and team leadership;
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal;
- Solid computer skills in Microsoft Office, including strong skills in Word, Excel and Outlook.
The below context related experience will give you a plus to excel in the role:
- Experience implementing Education projects in the East Africa Region;
- Knowledge of the context in Sudan and/or an understanding of the needs of IDP/returnee children in similar contexts;
- Experience in project start-up and/or piloting new approaches;
- Good understanding of the INEE minimum standards, Conflict Sensitive Education, Teachers in Crisis Context pack, and psychosocial support techniques;
- Good communication skills, with capacity to directly influence and negotiate with a wide range of stakeholders;
- Strong leadership skills and a supportive management style, with strong experience building capacity of local staff
- Experience of a flexible approach to managing and prioritizing a high and diverse workload.
What We Offer
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to join our work culture that empowers every employee to share ideas and take responsibility: At NRC, we think outside the box. We encourage ideas and give responsibility to all employees at all levels, to help solve the complex issues that we face. You will have many opportunities to be heard and take the initiative
- 12 months fixed term contract
- Senior grade 8 in NRC's grade structure
- An opportunity to match your career to a compelling cause
- A chance to meet and work with people who are the best in their fields
Internal candidates are encouraged to apply but we are also open to external applicants who can show a commitment to NRC and being part of a challenging, but important mission to make a difference.
To apply as an internal candidate, click on the suitcase icon “I am an employee” on the top right of the page to be redirected to NRC’s internal career site