Application deadline 1 month ago: Tuesday 6 Dec 2022 at 00:00 UTCOpen application form
This is a UNV International Specialist contract. This kind of contract is known as International UN Volunteer. It is normally internationally recruited only. More about UNV International Specialist contracts.
The Education Officer (UNV) will play a key role in promoting and protecting access to education for every child in Ethiopia, through the provision of technical and operational support to UNICEF, the Ministry of Education (MoE) and implementing partners. The Education Officer will work closely with the Education Specialist (NO-3) who coordinates the curriculum reform programme, under the Quality Output, as well as with other Education colleagues in both the Addis Ababa office and zonal offices involved in the implementation of the programme. The Education Officer will be part of the Learning and Development Programme (L&D) team of 32 local and international Education Specialists and Officers and one Programme Associate providing technical, operation and financial assistance to Governments and implementing partners to ensure access to quality education in both humanitarian and development pro-grammes in Ethiopia. The Education Officer will work in close collaboration with all units within the Learning and Development Programme, notably Early Childhood Education, Internally Displaced Children’s Education, Strengthening Education Management Information Systems (EMIS), Sector Planning & Governance. This assignment will entail mission travel on a quarterly basis to Amhara, Afar, SNNPR, Benishangul Gumuz, Gambella, Somali, and Oromia regions in Ethiopia as needed.
Under the direct supervision of Education Specialist, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
Summary of specific tasks and responsibilities:
• Develop a work plan for the duration of the work.
• Analyse the status of implementation of Curriculum in Regional Education Bureaus, and regularly update the online dashboard on the status of the
curriculum development process and its implementation.
• Develop end-user monitoring tools (Tigray, Amhara, Oromia, Somali, Afar and SNNPR) to support Humanitarian Emergencies programme in drought
affected and conflict areas.
• Lead the Digital Leaning Initiative within the L&D section in coordination with other UNICEF sections, other United Nations partners and government
• In partnership with Child Protection Section, support trainings on Mental Health Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) and Online safety. • Document good practice on Assessment for Learning from Regions using tools and propose its scaling up approaches across regions. • Draft project reports, monitor and conduct internal evaluation in connection with curriculum development, management, eLearning and quality assurance development, management and implementation at Directorate, Regional Education, College of Teacher Education, and school to contribute to the overall education programme • Under the guidance of the Education Specialist, lead trainings on Results Based Management and Programme Development to strengthen the capacities of implementing partners, including MoE, REB and civic society organizations. • Support the coordination of joint monitoring visits and conduct field visits jointly with field colleagues. • Prepare monthly progress reports on the key deliverables as per specific tasks mentioned above.
Information Management • Strengthening the regional education bureau EMIS Unit. • Focusing on data collection, analysis, interpretation. • Collecting emergency data/information from each woreda and update for the regional cluster members. • Updating the monthly school status data in the region and share the information to the national education cluster. • Monthly situational update from refugee camps. • Participate and/or represent UNICEF in appropriate emergency meetings • Develop or draft human-interest stories on curriculum implementation and practices at school level.
Proposal writing • Write sound concept notes and project proposal for the quality of education including curriculum implementation with resource mobilization team to contribute to the educa-tion section.
Project management • Support the development of a project plan and budget, execute the project according to the project plan, manage consultants, adjusting ensure successful delivery of the project in compliance with donor requirements. • Assist in establishing and maintaining project documentation, including contracts, plans, timelines, budgets, reporting and invoicing and all other relevant project information, following the organization’s project management tools and processes. • Develop progress and financial reporting for donors with input from partners and the finance team. • Liaise with partner organizations, donors, stakeholders to monitor project deliverables and timeline
Accountability Adaptability and Flexibility Building Trust Commitment and Motivation Commitment to Continuous Learning Communication Ethics and Values Integrity Knowledge Sharing Planning and Organizing Professionalism Respect for Diversity Technological Awareness Working in Teams
education field with focus on quality of education, curriculum, digital learning, Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) and others. • Producing high quality written materials in English. • Training and facilitating methodologies. • Process and project management experience. • Understanding and willingness to conduct work and demonstrate behaviors in line with UNICEF International’s values and policies. • Working in a multicultural environment. • Excellent communication skills and attention to details. • Proven track record in delivering results. • Ability to work effectively in an international environment. • Ability and willingness to travel locally. • Ability to handle and efficiently manage multiple priorities. • Ability to learn quickly and on the job. • Computer skills, including sound knowledge of Windows and Microsoft Office applications, including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Ethiopia is a unique country with more than 110 million estimated population. The position is based in Addis Ababa, where life is safe and comfortable. There are many options for accommodation, and power, water, internet, and other basic amenities are guaranteed.