Disaster Risk Reduction Capacity Building Assistant
Application deadline in 9 days: Friday 30 Oct 2020
This is a UNV National University contract. This kind of contract is known as National UN Volunteer. It is normally only for nationals. More about UNV National University contracts.
Candidate age: between 18 and 29 throughout the entire duration of their assignment. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment. Candidates must be students of any academic program (BA/BSc, Masters, PhD) and keep this status during the whole period of the volunteer assignment.
Description of task
Under the direct supervision of UNDRR Risk Knowledge programme manager , the National UN Youth Volunteer will support the implementation of project activities:
- Support development and operationalization of an information management system for early warning for wildfires in Ethiopia;
- Assist collection of background documents to support the project partners;
- Liaise with project consultants, scientific partners, other UNVs, NDRMC project coordinator and UNDRR staff in Nairobi and Addis Ababa liaison office to support the above activities;
- Participate in project meetings to assist with minutes and development of project documentation;
- Liaise with national stakeholders to ensure information sharing and assist coordination of stakeholder meeting and consultations;
- Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
Required degree level:
Education - Additional Comments:
Enrolled in a university programme in disaster risk management, environmental engineering/natural sciences, environmental science;
- Demonstrated interest and/or experience (up to 2 years) in disaster risk management, economic development; in research/scientific organisations with national or sub-national government;
- Motivated to contribute towards peace and development and to serve others;
- Good interpersonal, networking and communication skills;
- Willingness to contribute and work as part of a team;
- Flexible and open to learning and new experiences;
- Respect for diversity and adaptability to other cultures, environments and living conditions;
- Previous experience as a volunteer and/or experience of another culture, (i.e. studies, volunteer work, internship) would be highly regarded;
- Computer skills (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, social media, and others).
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Amharic(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Area of expertise:
Other development programme/project experience, Policy, regulation, planning and education and capacity building
Area of expertise details:
Skills: communication skills, project management skills, IT skills, data collection skills, policy analysis
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool? Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool? Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call for to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 30 October 2020