Disarmament Demobilization Reinsertion (DDR) Officer
Application deadline 1 year ago: Friday 5 Nov 2021 at 00:00 UTCOpen application form
This is a UNV International Specialist contract. This kind of contract is known as International UN Volunteer. It is normally internationally recruited only. More about UNV International Specialist contracts.
• Develop and maintain effective working relationships with various partners; • Coordinate conduct of training workshops, seminars and outreach activities on SSR and DDR
• Reviews Community Violence Reduction (CVR) and Community Based Reinsertion (CBR) project
Proposals, handling of their budgets and oversee their implementation in the regions of responsibility;
• Serves as a focal point for all CVR projects in Gao and Kidal, ensuring that they meet the requirements of
the CVR objectives;
• Follows up at HQ level on all projects coming from Gao and Kidal, ensuring that they go through the LRC
(Local Reinsertion Committee), PAC (Project Appraisal Committee), and ensures that recommendations are
complied with, and memos are signed;
• Participates in the preparation, organization and conduct of the PAC meetings and drafting of the minutes;
• Follows up with MINUSMA Finance section on all payments made/tranches paid and vice versa of CVR
projects under his supervision;
• Participates in DDR internal M&E program;
• Organizes and maintains filling system (physical and digital) on the projects under his responsibility for
• Ensures that at least a monthly visit to project sites is made;
• Provides updates on CVR project tracking system for 2016-2017 -18 and yearly projects under his
• Serves as the secretary to the monthly coordination meeting;
• Assists in the organization of the life support assistance to the cantonment sites;
• Coordinate with relevant MINUSMA sections the provision of support to the operations in support of the
• Carries out basic research and analysis on armed groups in the area of responsibility;
• Participates in the identification and registration of combatants, weapons and munitions.
• Maintains awareness of current DDR issues;
• Contributes to the preparation of various written inputs (reports, standard operational procedures, SOPs);
• Participates in the development and delivery of training workshops, seminars on CVR and DDR related
• Establishes and maintains key DDR contacts with the local civilian and military authorities as well as
international and national organizations; e.g. civil society, UN agencies, international and local NGOs to
identify micro-projects to facilitate the reinsertion of ex-combatants;
• Assists in preparation of DDR outreach activities;
• Supports the planning and Operations Unit when necessary and may perform other task as may be
required by the SSR-DDR section.
• Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed. • Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning monitors and adjusts. • Teamwork: collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicit inputs by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; willing to learn from others; place team agenda before personal agenda; support and act in accordance with final group decision, even when such decision may not entirely reflect own position; share credit for team accomplishments and accept joint responsibility for team shortcomings. • Client orientation: Consider all those to whom services are provide to be ”clients” and seek to see things from clients’ point of view; establish and maintain productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identify clients’ needs and match them to appropriate solutions; monitor ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keep clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meet timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
• A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in the area of DDR, and project management, is required. • Previous experience in the development and implementation of DDR programmes in post-conflict contexts is also required. • Previous experience in the development and implementation of reinsertion projects is required. • Previous experience supporting senior coordination meetings is required. • Basic knowledge of relevant UN institutions, mandates, policies and guidelines is required. • Previous experience in UN peacekeeping missions is highly desirable. • Previous experience in Mali context and culture is an asset. • Security sector governance experience is required.
Bamako is a non-family duty station with a difficult security and working environment. Mali is a non-family duty station. Living conditions are acceptable in Bamako, but security instructions need to be strictly complied with. Adequate housing is available for rent at US$ 500-1500 per month. The national currency is the Franc CFA (April 2020 exchange rate was 1 US$ = 545 FCFA). Visa credit cards are accepted in some hotels and larger shops. Mali is a country prone to malaria, so mosquito nets are highly recommended. Basic medicines are available from pharmacies, but provision needs to be made for specialized medication. Security recommendations from the UN Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS) must be followed by all UN Staff in the course of their assignments in Mali. For the sake of rewarding experience, UN volunteers in MINUSMA carry out their duties with flexibility, commitment, and a willingness to live and work in challenging conditions including heat and limited water and electricity supply.