Development Worker as an Advisor (m/f/d) in Kumasi/Ghana to support Training of Trainers and TVET Teachers
Application deadline 6 months ago: Sunday 30 Jul 2023 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a Volunteer contract. More about Volunteer contracts.
The "Support to the Transformation of the TVET System in Ghana" project is commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), with funding support from the European Union (EU). In 2019, the Government of Ghana initiated a transformation of the TVET sector better known as “Harmonization of TVET”. GIZ supports these reform processes. The project’s objective is to support the Government of Ghana in establishing an efficient TVET system by strengthening the management capacities of relevant state actors, by training TVET personnel to apply CBT, by involving the private sector to ensure TVET curricula are demand-driven, and lastly by integrating green and digital elements into TVET to address environment and sustainability aspects in the labour market.
- Provide guidance and coaching for the staff of the ICBTR (Center for Competency-Based Training and Research) that teaches the Diploma in Education (with CBT option) especially with regard to pedagogical and didactical aspects;
- Support the integration of digital and green elements into the curriculum of the Diploma course;
- Advise the ICBTR on organizational and competence development;
- Participate in the improvement and implementation of curricula for the training of TVET staff, in particular with regard to (subject) didactic approaches for teachers and trainers;
- Support and guide the cooperation between ICBTR and companies as well as social partners;
- Support in the design, coordination and monitoring of courses offered by the ICBTR;
- Provide opportunities for competence development in teacher training and curriculum development, in particular advice, further education and training of teachers and trainers on vocational education with a special focus on the crafts supported by the project;
- Provide technical support in implementing activities funded through a grant agreement between GIZ and AAMUSTED.
- Advanced university degree or professional qualification related to education (TVET, or similar fields)
- Expertise and several years of experience in (subject) pedagogic and didactic methods in technical and vocational education and training
- Expertise and several years of experience in in-company training or training-of-trainer approaches
- Vocational pedagogical skills for the implementation of competence-based vocational training, ideally also in the field of "green TVET"
- Result orientation, independent and self-responsible work, reliability
- Intercultural sensitivity, teamwork orientation and communication skills
- Positive and open mindfulness towards new setting as well as willingness to learn is required
- Business-fluent English language skills
We are happy to provide first information about Ghana.
In general, the security situation is calm. GIZ staff must adhere to security measures at all times. Please also check the county-specific information provided by the German Federal Foreign Office. A contact person for security risk management is appointed at the local GIZ office.
GIZ does not impose any restrictions on life partners and family members to move with you to the country of deployment. Please note that the general and personal living conditions in the country of assignment may meet with different legal and social acceptance. We gladly support you with our many years of experience.
- Location: Kumasi
- Climate: Tropical with high temperatures (30°C on average during the day) and normal humidity
- Health care: The health infrastructure is well developed, especially in Accra by some private clinics. In rural areas, care is inadequate, with basic health care in regional capitals. The regional doctor of the German Embassy in Accra can be consulted in critical cases. GIZ works with the West African Rescue Association (WARA), which carries out rescue operations in emergencies and also has a modern clinic in Kumasi with an emergency room and access to specialists.
- Shopping and utilities: All daily necessities are available in the regions of Ghana with a number of local supermarkets and markets. Especially in Accra, but also in Kumasi, there are numerous shopping opportunities for international articles.
- Accessibility: An international airport with daily connections to Europe is in Accra. Flights from Kumasi to Accra depart several times a day with an approximate flight duration of 40 minutes. Outside the city, good road conditions, network and other supplies are not always given.
- (Small) children and school situation: A bilingual German Swiss International School (GSIS) is only available in Accra. However, there are a number of international schools and also kindergartens in the regions. The school fees are partly high, reimbursement is provided according to the GIZ guidelines.
- Security: Ghana is considered a politically stable country, the security situation in the West African context is very good. In contrast to the city of Accra, the crime rate (petty crime) in the regions is much lower, also in West African comparison.
- Pets: not a problem
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Willingness to travel on a regular basis is required.
For general questions from dependent partners about local employment - please contact us at: email@example.com
Please observe the provisions of the country-specific vaccination regulations for entry and work in the country of assignment - in particular also regarding COVID-19.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.
The basis for service as a development worker is the Development Workers Act (EhfG) and a comprehensive package of benefits based on it. This includes, among other things, targeted professional and personal preparation. We offer the opportunity to work in an innovative, globally active development institution. Your competencies are in demand in an interdisciplinary team on site.
GIZ is a signatory of the Diversity Charter. Recognition, appreciation and inclusion of diversity in the company are important to us. All employees shall be valued - regardless of gender and gender identity, nationality, ethnic origin, religion or belief, disability, social background, age or sexual orientation.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
HR-Service Center +49 6196/79-3200 [email protected]