Deadline extended: Finance Associate, GS-6 (FT), Chisinau, Moldova #13610 (Moldovan nationals & residents only)
Application deadline 1 year ago: Sunday 14 Feb 2021 at 21:55 UTCOpen application form
This is a G-6 contract. This kind of contract is known as General Service and related categories. It is normally only for nationals. It usually requires 6 years of experience, depending on education. More about G-6 contracts.
UNICEF’s mission in Moldova is to make sure every child in the country is healthy, educated and safe from harm, therefore having the best start in life and a fair chance to reach her or his full potential and benefit from the country’s development. We believe children have a right to live in a more equitable society, where their voices are heard, and needs met as a matter of priority in line with the Sustainable Development Goals. More information on what we do in Moldova is available at: https://www.unicef.org/moldova/
How can you make a difference?
Under the supervision and guidance of the Operations Manager, at NO-C level, the Finance Associate will be responsible for providing a variety of specialized tasks in the area of finance, ensuring their accurate and timely completion in full compliance with UNICEF financial rules and regulations, whilst demonstrating the capacity to research, adapt and evaluate irregular cases, and also to recommend improvements to process design and delivery.
The efficiency and efficacy of the Finance Associate has a direct impact on the optimal, appropriate and effective use of resources and efficient financial recording, accounting and reporting, which in turn facilitates management oversight, decision making and quality control.
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
- Advises and assists on all aspects related to preparation of reports, compilation of data and answering queries on pledges recorded, funds received, adjustments made to ensure financial compliance, accuracy and completeness of data for its inclusion into statement of accounts and adjustment of budgets. Advises units of discrepancies and assist to resolve differences in their records.
- Maintains financial records and monitoring systems to record and reconcile expenditures, balances, payments, statements and other data for day-to-day transactions and reports.
- Selects and enters data from a wide variety of documents, verifying and ensuring accuracy by checking sources, making necessary calculations and assuring inclusion of all relevant data.
- Prepares recurring reports as schedules and special reports, as required for budget preparation, audits or other reasons.
- Close year-end account and assist in the preparation of year-end reports related to accounts receivable, accounts payable, prepayment, deposits, NEP and leave balances, etc.
- Advises and assists international staff, experts and consultants on all aspects of allowances, salary advances, travel claims and other financial matters, and calculates and authorizes payments due for claims and services.
- Initiates correspondence to verify data, answers queries and obtains additional information on accounts and financial transactions, as required.
- Maintains liaisons with officials of local banks to obtain day-to-day information on exchange and interest rates, changes in procedures and regulations, and matters pertaining to maintenance of office bank accounts. This includes prepares recurring reports and bank reconciliation.
- Prepares detailed cost estimates, and participates in budget analysis and projects, as required.
- Performs other duties, as required.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have:
Completion of secondary education is required; Professional/university level courses in Accounting and Finance/Business administration is considered as an asset.
- A minimum of six years of clerical experience in the area of finance and accounting is required.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling web-based management systems.
- Proficiency in use of data processing systems.
- Relevant experience in a UN system agency or organization is considered as an asset.
Fluency in English and Romanian is required. Knowledge of Russian or another official UN language is considered as an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate:
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (1)
- Works Collaboratively with others (1)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (1)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (1)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (1)
- Drive to achieve impactful results (1)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (1)
- Analyzing (2)
- Applying Technical Expertise (2)
- Planning & Organizing (2)
- Following Instructions and Procedures (2)
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply and become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.