Consultant - Project Architect
Application deadline in 3 days: Saturday 11 Feb 2023 at 00:59 UTCOpen application form
TYPE OF CONTRACT:
CST Level I
DUTY STATION (City, Country):
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to end global hunger. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to help communities rebuild their shattered lives. Present in 125 countries, the organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to nutritious food and contribute to the lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas.
During the last decade, the global growth of WFP impacted on the Headquarters facilities with a gradual but constant change of requirements: office space demand, enhancement and increase of conference facilities and common services, energy efficiency, environmental sustainability and business continuity. Changing needs require continuous adaptation of the existing facilities, the construction of new facilities and the lease of additional buildings. In addition, the COVID pandemic introduced further changes to the requirements of the office space due to the new ways of working, leveraging use of new technologies and aiming to a more efficient environment with reduced cost and environmental impact.
In this context, the Landmark HQ aims for a “state of the art”, flexible, diverse and inclusive, sustainable and efficient working environment that reflects WFP’s leading role in the humanitarian community, supports effective control and coordination of its field operations, and promotes and facilitates innovation and staff welfare, embracing the New Ways of Working principles.
The Landmark HQ team, situated in the Facilities Management Unit of the Management Services division, based in Rome, Italy, provides services of Real Estate, engineering, architectural and interior design, and project management for the modification, the upgrade and eventually the expansion of WFP Rome HQ facilities to meet the organization’s space and functional requirements, in the framework of the hosting country Agreement.
Reporting to the Head of Landmark HQ team, the selected incumbent is expected to primarily provide design and construction project management services to support and implement any construction and facilities management initiative for the Infrastructure and Facilities Management Branch (MSDI).
The specific duties include but are not limited to the following.
General Description of Tasks:
- Supervise and ensure that works done by contractors are performed promptly and according to specifications.
- Monitor the progress of construction works and the relevant expenditures.
- Prepare periodic reports on the economic and financial aspects of site management.
- Provide support in all matters related to the management of construction sites.
- Update project planning and scheduling before and during the construction reflecting current progress.
- Support the technical and financial administration of the contract, within the original scope and funding, including contingency funds.
- Prepare the documentation required for the analysis and eventual approval of change orders/variations to the construction contract (within the original scope, value and timeframes).
- Advice on the interpretation of the technical conditions of the Construction Contract.
- Keep updated records of progress payments.
- Approve minor changes, not involving additional cost and/or construction duration.
- Inspect the construction site during construction, to ensure compliance to the construction contract requirements.
- Assist and support the final testing and final inspection for facility approval.
- Analyze all Contractor’s claims relating to the execution and progress of the work or the interpretation of the Contract Documents.
- Input data on projects and real estate in ARCHIBUS, the corporate software essential to the overall reporting of the HQ Real Estate Portfolio and facility management.
- Participate to all meetings that will occur before and during the construction phase between all the figures involved in the process.
- Work cross-functionally with internal (i.e., Facility Management, WFP Engineering, IT, HR, Legal, Procurement, Insurance, etc.) and external (i.e., A/E firms, contractors, other UN entities) stakeholders to ensure cohesive delivery of services.
- Provide architectural and interior design services.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Master Degree (5 years) in Architecture.
Qualification / experience in health and safety in construction field.
5 years’ experience of construction project management and coordinated design and construction of large-scale buildings.
Experience in Interior Design and Decoration.
Knowledge & Skills:
Computer literate; Microsoft Project; Microsoft Office including (MS Word and Excel); AutoCAD; Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
Working knowledge of Archibus would be an asset.
Fluency in written and spoken English and Italian.
A second UN language would be an asset, particularly Arabic, French, or Spanish.
WHY WORK FOR WFP
This is an opportunity for exciting and challenging assignments throughout WFP’s global operations, delivery of mandatory training of the highest relevance to safety, security, and duty of care.
▶️ Meaningful and impactful careers: making a difference in the lives of the people WFP serves
▶️Continuous learning and training: providing opportunities for numerous learning tools to continually enhance our colleagues’ skillsets
▶️ Multicultural and stimulating work environment: gender and cultural diversity to make our teams stronger
Join us to make a difference, watch this video to learn more about WFP!
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS : 10 February 2023