Consultant for Development of the Strategic Plan of the STP Infrastructure in Montenegro
Application deadline 9 months ago: Wednesday 16 Feb 2022 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a International Consultant contract. More about International Consultant contracts.
Recognizing the importance of innovation in the economic development of the country and strengthening competitiveness, the Government of Montenegro is constantly working to improve and stimulate innovation through infrastructure, legal and strategic frameworks. The new Law on Innovation Activities was adopted in July 2020, aiming to bring more efficiency into the innovation policy, and striving for greater coordination and synergies of different actors in the innovation system in Montenegro. Apart from the Law on Innovation Activities, a new Lex Specialis – the Law on Incentives for Research and Innovation is aimed to incentivise innovation and private sector investments in research and development. The Law on Innovation Activity regulates the institutional governance and financing framework for innovation ecosystem in Montenegro. The Law recognizes innovation infrastructure as one of the key actors in innovation ecosystem. In addition, the law gives innovation infrastructures which are majority publicly owned, public authorization. This is a key legal power that enables innovation infrastructures to be positioned as a key stakeholder in innovation ecosystem. The key innovation infrastructure in ecosystem is the Science and Technology park Montenegro. A specific existing strategic document, i.e. the Strategic Plan for the establishment of the STP was originally adopted by the Government in December 2012 and envisages that the STP in Podgorica shall be a leading part of a wider network of likewise infrastructures to be established in Montenegro, so called impulse centres (innovative entrepreneurial centres) to be established in Nikšic, Bar and Pljevlja. Montenegro established the central unit STP in 2019, while the construction works are ongoing. Due to the very significant changes and reforms in the innovation policy and innovation ecosystem happened in the last 10 years, particularly focusing on the new strategic framework endorsed by the Smart Specialisation Strategy (S3) 2019-2024 in 2019 and the Operational Programme for the implementation of S3 2021-2024, as harmonized with the EU standards, as well as on the new legal and institutional framework, the existing strategic document for the establishment of STP is outdated and a new one should be developed. STP in Podgorica is legally founded in September 2019, with the aim of giving the support and strengthening the potentials of economic growth and development of Montenegro, through establishment and growth of the companies/teams in high tech activities. As well, a special activity aspect of Science and Technology Park Montenegro is a support in developing and commercialization of innovative ideas and projects. Science and Technology Park Montenegro was established in partnership of the Government of Montenegro and University of Montenegro with a common vision to become a key place where innovative and creative individuals and projects will merge, along with the intensive cooperation of key stakeholders of entrepreneurial process (science and economy). Science and Technology Park Montenegro will be focused on the creation of a technological development center of Montenegro, which through its various programs and activities will provide an adequate support to the promotion of the innovation-entrepreneurial ecosystem in Montenegro, and thus contribute to faster economic development of our country. STP Montenegro main facility is still under construction, with a goal to be a fully operated by the end of 2022. With its position, located within the campus, University of Montenegro, STP will offer more than adequate conditions for small business development, for stimulating the development of start-ups, creating creative and innovative teams of multidisciplinary orientation. STP is designed in a contemporary style, with a high level of functionality. STP Montenegro will be a unique spot which will bring together all the significant actors of academic, business and social life.
Duties and Responsibilities
UNDP office to Montenegro is recruiting a consultant for development of the Strategic Plan for the development of the STP in Montenegro for the next period of 5 years. This Strategic Plan is aimed to establish the future development directions and provide clear goals, objectives, strategies and action plan to make the STP functional and successful infrastructure of the Innovation ecosystem in the country.
Is should consist a detailed analysis of the current state, recommendations on the future strategic concept of the development of the STP with the clear positioning of the main unit and impulse center/s, as well as a set of measures and activities for achievements of strategic goals, which will be delivered to the beneficiaries.
The tasks of the Consultant will include the following:
- Review of already existing strategic framework for the STP development in respect of its organization and management, particularly putting it in line with Smart Specialization Strategy;
- To assess the current status of existing innovation infrastructure in Montenegro, and plans;
- The analysis of the Montenegrin economy (primarily start-up scene), as well as the estimation of the innovation potential of the Montenegrin companies.
- To conduct market research of national potentials for innovation in SME sector in particular regarding regional aspect of Montenegro
- To provide a deep understanding of the services that needs to be provided for the users of the STP infrastructure;
- To provide short overview of best practices for STP development in regional market of (this should include at least Serbian, Croatian, Slovenian and Bulgarian experiences)
- To assess the need for further investment by the Government in new infrastructures based on the analysis and market potential;
- To provide a model for strategic, legal and operational link between different actors in innovation ecosystem (e.g., particularly focusing on the relation between STP Montenegro and IPC Tehnopolis)
- To create a tentative action plan to be implemented in the period of next 5 years.
The expected results/deliverables:
Based on the analysis and under the guidance of the UNDP coordinator and STP management, it is expected that expert deliver the following documents/results:
- New strategic document for development of STP Montenegro for the period of 2022-2026
- Framework Action plan for development of above-mentioned strategy.
Timing and reporting:
- The assignment will start in February 2022;
- The consultant shall report to the UNDP Project Coordinator as well as the Executive Director of the STP and the Ministry of Economic Development of Montenegro representative in the capacity of Report’s approvers. Mid-term and Final report should be submitted in accordance with the Work Plan proposed by the Consultant and approved by the UNDP Coordinator.
- The final Strategic Plan shall be submitted in July 2022.
Time duration and travel:
The duration of the total assignment is expected to be for 40 days within the period of five months, starting from February 28th, 2022 – July 1st, 2022 (45 consultancy days).
During this assignment, it is envisioned that the consultant’s work will require at least three visits to Montenegro: first in Feb/March 2022 (for minimum 2 days) to meet with the Representatives of Ministry for economic development and STP management to present work plan, while his second and third visit is foreseen for April/May/June 2022 (for minimum 2 days per visit) to conduct direct meetings with other stakeholders in innovation ecosystem, in order to prepare a market assessment as defined in scope of work. Last visit is to be with aim to present draft version of the document to the representatives of the Ministry for economic development, Innovation Fund of Montenegro management, STP management etc.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of UN/UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills both in local and English language;
- Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills;
- Proven written and oral communication skills;
- Demonstrates ability to manage complexities and work under pressure, as well as conflict resolution skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in social, natural or technical sciences;
- An advanced degree would be an asset;
- At least 10 years of relevant professional experience;
- Minimum 5 years of experience in STP development and/or work on research and innovation infrastructure development projects in the Western Balkan region;
- Good understanding of the process of Smart Specialization Strategy development;
- Proven analytical skills and ability to conceptualize and write concisely and clearly;
- Ability to formulate consensus and clear conclusions from group discussions;
- Proven Knowledge of good regional and EU practice on STP development and management;
- Knowledge and understanding of Montenegrin innovation-entrepreneurship ecosystem and its actors is an asset;
- Ability to interface effectively with government and private sector;
- Fluency in local language;
- Excellent knowledge of English language;
- Excellent computer skills;
Criteria for selection:
Combined Scoring method will be used. When using this weighted scoring method, the award of the contract should be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as: (i) responsive, compliant, acceptable, and (ii) having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
- Technical criteria weight - 70% (Background and education 10%; Relevant previous experience 20%; Substantial knowledge/Required competencies 30%; Required language 10%);
- Financial criteria weight - 30%.
Only offerors obtaining a minimum 490 points for technical criteria will be considered for the financial evaluation. For more information on procurement methodology for Individual Contractors, please refer to Procurement Notice.
Interested applicants are requested to submit their applications by Fenruary 16, 2022 by using the Apply now button. The application should contain CV or P11 that can be downloaded at https://www.me.undp.org/content/montenegro/en/home/jobs.html. Please note that UNDP jobsite system allows only one uploading of application document, so please make sure that you merge all your documents into a single file.
Only the short-listed applicants will be contacted and requested to submit a letter of interest including a price quotation indicating the lump sum (in EUR) requested for the work envisaged in the section "Description of Responsibilities".