Communications Analyst - Public Relations and Outreach
Application deadline 5 months ago: Thursday 16 Jun 2022 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a LICA Specialist-8 contract. This kind of contract is known as Local Individual Contractor Agreements. It is normally only for nationals. It's an external contract. More about LICA Specialist-8 contracts.
Background Information - Myanmar
UNOPS Myanmar is one of UNOPS’ leading offices in Asia, acting as fund manager for three of the largest development programmes in the country, namely the Access to Health Fund, the Livelihood and Food Security Fund (LIFT) and the Joint Peace Fund (JPF), and acting as the Principal Recipient for the Global Fund in Myanmar. UNOPS provides procurement, infrastructure, and project management services to a wide range of organisations in the country, including international development partners, other UN agencies, NGOs, and INGOs. UNOPS plays a critical role in ensuring that the quality of services provided to its partners meets stringent requirements of speed, efficiency and cost effectiveness.
Background Information - Job-specific
The Access to Health Fund aims to improve health outcomes for vulnerable populations in conflict-affected areas of Myanmar. The Fund works with Ethnic Health Organizations, national and international NGOs, the United Nations, and other partners to increase people’s access to health-services (maternal, newborn and child health, combating HIV and AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria) and to strengthen health systems. The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
The Communications Analyst is responsible for implementing project-specific communications plans under the guidance of the Communications Officer, Fund Director’s Office and Communications Unit. Primary responsibilities will be in communications, organizing and coordinating training initiatives, media relations, and event management.
Functions will consist of the following:
- Refine and implement the Fund’s project-specific communications plans
- Support ethnic and community-based health organizations to improve their communications for demand generation outputs
- Support skills development for young people in the project areas by running skills-building workshops in advocacy tools in low resource settings (making short videos on phones, using your voice for change, etc.), with concrete outputs (videos, photo essays, etc.) in health topics.
- Monitor the implementation of visibility guidelines
- Implement internal and external communications activities, including the preparation of written and visual content (articles, speeches, videos, brochures, newsletters and reports) for social media, the website, the press and other relevant channels
- Gather and disseminate signiﬁcant change stories and lessons learned including through events, reports, presentations
- Manage events, including infrastructure handover ceremonies, field trips, donor visits and side events (regional and global)
- Manage communications products, including the preparation of factsheets and materials needed for workshops, seminars, briefings, and events
Manage translation processes, including technical oversight and quality assurance from English to Myanmar and Myanmar to English
- Assist in any other functions as assigned by the supervisor
Education - Bachelor’s degree in communication, media studies, journalism, international relations, public/media relations, public relations, event management, English or any other related field is required.
- Two years of experience in communications, event management, digital media, journalism/press, public health, public/media relations, marketing, international relations, writing/editing (including grant/proposal writing), research or any other related fields is required.
- Excellent writing and analytical skills in English and Myanmar is required.
- Excellent skills in translation from English to Myanmar and Myanmar to English is required.
- Experience working with Myanmar and international media is highly preferable.
- Experience working in advertising, public relations, social behaviour change communications would be an asset.
- Experience in Communications for Demand Generation and Risk Communications and Community Engagement is an asset.
- Experience in managing events and associated materials is highly preferable.
- Previous working experience in a similar position with media organizations, UN, NGO or private organizations would be an asset.
- Previous experience working with health-related topics would be an asset.
Language - Fluency in English and Myanmar Language is a strong requirement.
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles. Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role). Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries. Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements. Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving. Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: ICA Contract level: LICA 8 Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
This vacancy is for Myanmar National only.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.