Climate Mitigation Finance Expert
Application deadline 7 days ago: Wednesday 14 Oct 2020
This is a UNV National Expert contract. This kind of contract is known as National UN Volunteer. It is normally only for nationals. More about UNV National Expert contracts.
Minimum age: 35 years old. Applicants must nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
Description of task
Under the supervision of the UNEP Climate Mitigation Unit Administrative Officer (AO) Nairobi, and with local supervision of the UNEP Climate Mitigation Unit Task Manager for Latin America and the Caribbean, the UN Volunteer will be responsible for the following duties:
Project Design And Development:
- Verify documents for overall accuracy, consistency and uniformity in presentation and ensure comprehensiveness and compliance, cross-check consistency of figures in tables with the text of the reports, and verify references to other reports and documents and ensure that all necessary corrections are incorporated.
- Assist in preparation of budgets with respect to project documents.
- Initiate set up of third party banking details for executing agencies.
- Provide guidance to Executing Agencies on financial reporting as per the project cooperation agreement with that agencies, and on the templates to be used for meeting these reporting requirements
- Track circulation of new project internalizations and all projects revisions through UNEP clearance and approval process
- Prepare fund documents for budget allocations and prepare the necessary documents in the ERP Operating system.
- Provide guidance to Executing Agencies on the expenditure report template; review expenditure reports to ensure (a) correct amount and objects of expenditures have been charged (b) validity of charges (c) availability of funds; provide feedback to Executing Agencies as necessary in order for the agency to complete the document correctly.
- Initiate processing of expenditure recording.
- Assist in the follow-up on outstanding financial and technical reports with the executing agencies.
- Develop tools on tracking the financial report of all Executing Agencies, and keep these tools up-to-date
- Provide guidance to Executing Agencies on the cash advance template, review cash advances received and provide feedback to Executing Agencies as necessary in order for them to complete the document correctly.
- Process cash advances and follow up on remittances of funds, process UNDP fax authorizations and sub-allotments to Executing Agencies
- Notify payees on status of payments and investigate complaints of non-receipt.
- Prepare budget revision templates, provide guidance to Executing Agencies on the budget revision template, review budget revisions received and provide feedback to Executing Agencies as necessary in order for them to complete the document correctly.
- Create Special Service Agreements/ Purchase Orders /Travel Requests (TVRQ)/Travel advances (RCTAs).
- Assist in the Reconciliation of project accounts against independent audit certificates received from executing agencies.
Inform Executing Agencies of upcoming financial reporting requirements
Project Evaluation And Closure:
- Update project database with relevant project information on revision/closure of project.
- Assist in provision of financial information required in Project Implementation Review (PIR), Mid-term review/Evaluation and Terminal Evaluation.
- Assist in the preparation of project completion and closing revision and supporting schedules.
- Prepare request for refund of unspent balances.
- Provide general administrative support.
- Maintain and keep up-to-date project files
- File and archive documentation in soft and hard copies and keep log of archived files.
- Draft/prepare routine correspondence with respect to enquiries related to relevant financial and budget matters.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Required degree level:
Master degree or equivalent
Education - Additional Comments:
Master´s Degree in business administration, finance, accounting or actuarial studies OR Bachelor´s Degree in business administration, finance, accounting or actuarial studies with 2 additional years of work experience in the area.
Additional technical qualifications, certified public account (CPA) or equivalent are desired.
Candidates with les than35 years of age that meet the education/experience criteria may be considered.
Minimum of 8 years of experience in finance, budget, accounting, administrative services or related area.
Experience with finance or administration within the UN system is an asset
- Portuguese(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Spanish(Optional), Level - Working Knowledge
Area of expertise:
Finance, accounting and audit, Development programme/project administration, Other finance, economics and administration related experience
Area of expertise details:
Computer skills: Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel is required.
This is a national UN Volunteer assignment, therefore only Brazilian nationals and legal residents in Brazil with a residency permit, the status of refugee or with the status of being stateless are eligible to apply.
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 14 October 2020 at 23:59 hrs, Germany time