Chief Technical Advisor (Capacity Development)
Application deadline in 9 days: Tuesday 5 Jul 2022 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a IICA-4 contract. This kind of contract is known as International Individual Contractor Agreements. It is normally internationally recruited only. It's an external contract. It usually requires 10 years of experience, depending on education. More about IICA-4 contracts.
Background Information - Job-specific
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners' peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. UNOPS supports partners to build a better future by providing services that increase the efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of peace building, humanitarian and development projects. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations.
Austria Multi-Country Office (AUMCO)
The Austria Multi-Country Office (AUMCO) is part of the UNOPS Europe and Central Asia Region (ECR). Specifically, AUMCO aims to enable achievement of Agenda 2030 and the Paris Agreement through global programmes and tailored interventions in the Balkans, South Caucasus, and Central Asia, focused on:
- Project Management (full service, back on track)
- HR and Transactional Services
- Grants Management
- Technical and Advisory Services
- Project Information
Under the framework of the multi-year project titled “Knowledge for Reform Action in the Western Balkans,” funded by the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, UNOPS is providing support in the six countries of the Western Balkans (Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo*, Montenegro, North Macedonia and Serbia) with access to tailored expertise, knowledge and best practice to assist them with advancing their respective reform agenda. Learning and technical exchanges will be promoted across the Region, as well as from neighboring countries which have joined the European Union (EU). The aim of the project is to strengthen institutional, administrative and legislative frameworks and practices.
Under the direct supervision of the AUMCO Director and guidance from Head of Programme, and in close cooperation with beneficiaries, the Chief Technical Advisor on Capacity Development will coordinate with respective government authorities, such as the Prime Minister's Office, the Ministry of European Integration, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or other Ministries and institutions as appropriate, as well as EU Delegations, Norwegian Embassies and other stakeholders, to ensure the effective provision of technical capacity development and support as per the project agreement. This will include sharing of knowledge and best practices in support of the government’s efforts to align with the EU acquis in specific Chapters.
The incumbent will work with a Project Manager and a Project Support Officer, who will take the lead regarding the project management and operational aspects of the project, to ensure effective administration and delivery of the project.
The following functional responsibilities are expected:
Support the Western Balkan government's reform agenda in the accession process and provide assessments, capacity development and technical advice on the EU acquis in various sectors, as foreseen in the project document.
Liaise continuously with Government counterparts and other relevant stakeholders to link and deploy relevant experts (Technical Assistance) in collaboration with, and based on the needs and endorsements of key stakeholders.
- Lead the Technical Assistance team, taking management responsibility for team activities and outputs, including the selection of short-term consultants and contractors, drafting ToRs and work plans, and ensure consultants perform and delivery on their tasks to the required standard;
- Ensuring effective dissemination and access to information on programme activities and results.
- Coordinate with the donor and EU institutions on technical and capacity development matters to ensure effective project delivery and coordination.
- Establish solid working relationships, engage, discuss with key stakeholders, including government officials.
- Provide technical and expert inputs and support to the project team with the aim to improve the quality of results-based management, including planning, monitoring and reporting on annual work plan;
- Enable the formulation of communications plans; coordinate internal communications; and monitor the effectiveness of external communications.
- Identify and consolidate good practices, lessons learned and make recommendations on processes, management, partnerships and other aspects of project implementation.
- Coordinate stakeholder engagement and communication, ensuring effective timing and interdependency management of communications.
- Draft concept notes, design and develop training in relation to the reforms that beneficiaries are undertaking with the view to the EU integration processes.
Knowledge building and sharing with regards to the development and implementation of the Project, synthesis of lessons learnt/best practices, and sound contributions to UNOPS knowledge management initiatives.
Regularly review status of assignments, including evaluating performance criteria.
- Maintain donor and progress reports as required by the organization’s standard procedures.
- Provide regular analytical country reports with overall recommendations as required.
- Provide routine oversight and regularly update the Supervisor on progress.
- An advanced university degree (e.g. Master’s) either in Law, European & International studies, International Relations, Public Administration, Management, Development Studies, Sociology, Political Sciences, Sociology, Social Sciences, Environment, Finance or other relevant discipline is required. A first-level university degree (e.g. Bachelor) in combination with 2 additional years of progressively relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
b. Work experience
- A minimum of ten (10) years of relevant experience working for/with the EU institution and/or working for/with the beneficiary countries on EU accession related elements is required.
- Experience in EU Integration Process in an EU Member State or a candidate country to EU Accession with focus on specific sectors and technical expertise is required.
- At least five (5) years of experience in providing capacity development services and support to beneficiaries, particularly government institutions, is required.
- Familiarity with the socio-political and economic context of the Western Balkans region is highly desirable.
- Proficiency in English is required.
- Knowledge of locally spoken languages including lingua franca is an advantage.
Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization. Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles. Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role). Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries. Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements. Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving. Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: ICA Contract level: I-ICA4 - ICS12 Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.