Chief, Foundational Technology Services, P5 - Rome, Italy
Application deadline in 19 days: Sunday 17 Jul 2022 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
Are you a Senior IT professional interested in further developing your professional experience while contributing to ending global hunger? Are you passionate about helping those in need? Would you like to join a global organization investing in its people?
If so, an exciting & fulfilling career awaits you! Join our diverse and passionate team that works on varied and international projects directly contributing to saving & changing millions of lives around the globe.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Applications must be submitted by Sunday, July 17, 2022 (11:59 PM CET)
WHO WE ARE
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP), a highly prestigious, reputable & world’s largest humanitarian organization, operating in more than 120 countries and territories, bringing life-saving assistance in emergencies, building pathways to peace, stability and prosperity for people recovering from conflict, disasters and the impact of climate change and supporting sustainable and resilient livelihoods for a world with zero hunger.
At WFP, people are at the heart of everything we do and the vision of the future WFP workforce is one of diverse, committed, skilled, and high performing teams, selected on merit, operating in a healthy and inclusive work environment, living WFP's values (Integrity, Collaboration, Commitment, Humanity, and Inclusion) and working with partners to save and change the lives of those WFP serves.
WHY JOIN US?
- WFP is a 2020 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate
- WFP offers a highly inclusive, diverse, and multicultural working environment
- WFP invests in the personal & professional development of its employees through a range of training, accreditation, coaching, mentorship, and other programs as well as through internal mobility opportunities
- A career path in WFP provides an exciting opportunity to work across the various country, regional and global offices around the world, and with passionate colleagues who work tirelessly to ensure that effective humanitarian assistance reaches millions of people across the globe
- We offer an attractive compensation package (please refer to the Terms and Conditions section)
THE ROLE AND ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT
Technology and connectivity are rapidly reaching some of the most vulnerable people and places affected by crisis, but they are also increasingly expanding to the services responding to those same crises. As one of the main humanitarian actors, WFP has the opportunity and the obligation to leverage data and technology to better know and serve those in need by digitally transforming the way it works.
The Technology Division (TEC) has embarked on a transformation journey to become a flexible, customer-centric, digital leader. The Foundational Technology Services branch (TECM) is a cornerstone of the WFP plan aimed at establishing, integrating, and mainstreaming the core elements of end-to-end digital business processes. Excellence in customer service, is the foundational pillar of the digital transformation. This requires a leader who can design and facilitate the offering, provisioning, support, and perpetual improvement of technology services to our customers.
As the Chief, Foundational Technology Services, you will continually improve service management processes and infrastructure to address the organization’s highest priorities and will maintain and develop a strong, creative team aimed at achieving consistency and efficiency in service delivery.
You will be responsible for establishing and maintaining the infrastructure and the delivery of end-user solutions, services, and support for key areas including:
- Telecommunications and networking services to reach over 600 sites globally;
- Data Centre and Cloud services that host hundreds of applications;
- Application support ranging from system administration, to hosting, to product management;
- Client and Server technologies, to include strong security and solutions for mobility;
- Business Support services to assist the WFP personnel globally.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Reporting to the CIO & Director of the Technology Division (TEC), you will:
- Define high level ITSM strategies, guidelines and standards that balance short-term and long-term objectives in accordance to organizational priorities.
- Work with the business to propose solutions and make technology recommendations that can be used to achieve strategic objectives.
- Provide leadership in ensuring secure, efficient and timely integration of new technologies into the operating environment while minimizing service disruptions or project delays.
- Provide outstanding customer service via the IT Service Desk, continually striving to improve service while maintaining a cost-conscious approach.
- Promote continual service improvement and identify opportunities for innovation, with assessment of risks, obstacles and technical hurdles to the business success.
- Manage the provision of solid core services such as IT core backend support, including Data Centre, Cloud technologies for clients and servers, hosting and application support, telecoms and networking.
- Foster the adoption of new standards, modern technologies and ways of working based on consolidated standards such as ITIL, COBIT, Agile/BizDevSecOPs.
- In cooperation with the Emergency Response and Preparedness branch (TECF), expand and improve delivery services offered to the Field during emergencies and steady state operations.
- Contribute to the definition of policies, standards, best practices and SOPs in collaboration with other WFP parties.
- Other duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND KEY REQUIREMENTS
- Advanced University degree in Information Technology, Economics, International Development, Social Sciences or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional relevant experience and/or advanced training/courses.
- Eleven years or more (of which four international) of postgraduate progressively responsible experience in a relevant field of work, with a background and interest in international humanitarian development.
- Experience on every network related environment (LAN, WAN, routers, firewalls, IP phones, VLANs, Wi Fi etc)
- Proven experience managing a large Service Centre, with a Service Desk component, in large international organizations.
- Fluency (level C) in the English language
- Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or Portuguese (A WFP’s working language)
MORE ABOUT YOU
- Very good knowledge of Microsoft Operating Systems and related Office products.
- Very good knowledge of Microsoft Windows Server O.S. including most of related services (Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, File Sharing, Group Policy, RDS, Clustering and many others).
- Good understanding and technical knowledge of current network and client operating systems, hardware, protocols, and standards, such as Windows OS, cloud platforms like O365 and Azure, HP hardware common desktop productivity software solutions.
- Strong knowledge of Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery solution.
- Ability to objectively assess, articulate and constructively debate major strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, risks and considerations for work initiatives.
- Ability to think strategically while at the same time display the ability to understand enough detail to work with and guide service providers, staff and vendors to manage the day-to-day activities of the organization.
- Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language.
- Highly self-motivated, self-directed, and attentive to detail.
- Strong leadership, ability to lead a highly effective team, even in in crises and emergency contexts, coupled with project and programme management skills.
- Sound knowledge of IT Support processes.
- Solid knowledge of IT core backend support, including Data Centre, client and server technologies, hosting and application support, telecoms and networking.
- A personal presence that is characterized by a sense of honesty, integrity, and caring with the ability to inspire and motivate others and promote the philosophy, mission, vision, goals, and values of the organization.
- CISSP or Enterprise Architecture certification (Six sigma green or black)
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with a solution and action orientation
- Familiarity with WFP and the UN system
WFP LEADERSHIP FRAMEWORK
These are the common standards of behaviour that guide HOW we work together to accomplish our mission.
Leads by Example with Integrity Drives Results and Delivers on Commitments Fosters Inclusive and Collaborative Teamwork Applies Strategic Thinking Builds and Maintains Sustainable Partnerships Lives the WFP values and shows humanity and integrity by role modelling care for others
Delivers on commitments and adapts readily to change
Is inclusive and collaborative, and contributes to a culture of learning and personal growth
Demonstrates commitment to gather perspectives, analyse options and risks, and propose new ways of doing things
Builds and nurtures external partnerships and collaborates with partners to deliver common objectives
Different expectations of behaviour are defined depending on your grade and role/responsibilities within WFP.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Mobility is and continues to be a core contractual requirement in WFP. This position is however classified as “non-rotational” which means the incumbent shall not be subject to the regular reassignment process unless the position is reclassified as rotational. The selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term contract with a probationary period of one year. This position is open to both internal and external candidates.
WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package in line with ICSC standards (https://icsc.un.org/) including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, visa, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days’ annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, a pension plan, and medical insurance.
Currently, at the P5 level, the annual gross salaries and net equivalents after the application of staff assessment are approximately 115,949 to 130,561 USD gross and 90,664 to 100,893 USD net equivalent. The Salary Calculator allows you to estimate your salary package according to elements that directly impact your remuneration, such as grade, step and family status. Please also be aware that some salary elements fluctuate frequently, for instance: Post Adjustment, Mobility Incentive, Hardship Allowance, Assignment Grant, etc.
Salary Calculator: Salary calculator (unops.org)
The selected candidate will be required to relocate to Rome, Italy to take up this assignment.
REMINDERS BEFORE YOU SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
- We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete, and includes your employment records, academic qualifications, language skills and UN Grade (if applicable).
- Once your profile is completed, please apply, and submit your application.
- Please make sure you upload your professional CV in the English language
- Kindly note the only documents you will need to submit at this time are your CV and Cover Letter
- Additional documents such as passport, recommendation letters, academic certificates, etc. may potentially be requested at a future time
- Please contact us at [email protected] in case you face any challenges with submitting your application
- Only shortlisted candidates will be notified
All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.