Application deadline in 10 days: Tuesday 7 Dec 2021 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a IICA-2 contract. This kind of contract is known as International Individual Contractor Agreements. It is normally internationally recruited only. It's an external contract. It usually requires 5 years of experience, depending on education. More about IICA-2 contracts.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Within these three core areas of expertise, UNOPS provides its partners with advisory, implementation and transactional services, with projects ranging from building schools and hospitals, to procuring goods and services and training local personnel. UNOPS works closely with governments and communities to ensure increased economic, social and environmental sustainability for the projects we support, with a focus on developing national capacity.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices in development, humanitarian and peacebuilding contexts, always satisfying or surpassing partner expectations.
We employ more than 7,000 personnel and on behalf of our partners create thousands more work opportunities in local communities. Through our headquarters in Copenhagen, Denmark and a network of offices, we oversee activities in more than 80 countries.
Background Information - IAIG
The purpose of the Internal Audit and Investigations Group is to provide independent and impartial assurance and advice to improve UNOPS operations. The IAIG reports on the use of resources administered by UNOPS and the effectiveness of internal control systems; and enhances the effectiveness of risk management, control and governance processes. Furthermore, the IAIG leads the Executive Director’s investigations into alleged fraud, corruption, waste of resources, abuse of authority or other misconduct and violations of UNOPS regulations, rules and administrative instructions.
Under the over-all guidance and supervision of the Director, IAIG, the Internal Auditor shall report to the Manager of the Internal Audit Section of IAIG and is required to support all audit staff within IAIG as deemed appropriate. He/She shall contribute to the implementation of the annual internal audit work plan and the Group’s initiatives as well as provide administrative assistance ensuring high quality, efficient and effective execution of internal audit and advisory services. The Internal Auditor promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNOPS financial rules and regulations. Travel requirements are estimated at approximately 30% of the time with field missions lasting from 2-3 weeks.
Under the general supervision of the Manager of the Internal Audit section, and the general guidance of the Director, IAIG, the individual will conduct internal audits to evaluate the adequacy and effectiveness of internal controls in accordance with IIA Standards and UNOPS policies and procedures. This involves financial, operational, performance and compliance audits, as well as the following related activities:
Internal Audit work on organizational units/or processes:
- Contributing to the annual risk assessment for the audit of UNOPS business units.
- Developing risk based audit work plans, conducting audit field work and preparing reports for issue to management which are clear, concise and as per IIA Standards.
- Preparing working papers, documenting adequately work performed and, where appropriate, review those of other team members to ensure that the work performed supports the conclusions reached.
- Communicating orally and in writing audit results to management and making presentations to management.
- Undertaking frequent, and at times extended, missions to UNOPS offices, including to areas with hazardous working conditions. Performing advisory engagement across UNOPS.
Project Audit work:
- Reviewing project agreements with regards to the consistency of the wording of audit clauses contained therein.
- Reviewing the terms of reference as well as reports received from outsourced auditors for quality assurance.
- Perform duties as appropriate for managing the long term agreements with audit firms for outsourced project audits.
- Undertaking quality assurance of IAIG audit reports to ensure that the final audit reports adhere to editorial requirements.
General contributions and responsibilities:
- Monitoring the status of agreed actions plan and assess the adequacy of the actions taken by management prior to closure of audit observations.
- Identifying recurring and systemic issues in audit reports, as well as lessons learned for inclusion in corporate reports.
- Contributing to the professional development of other personnel within the unit.
- Performing other related duties as required, such as forensic and special audits etc.
- Contributing to the ongoing development of professional practices and knowledge management within IAIG and for oneself, including internal and external quality assessments of the internal audit function.
- Support preparation of reports to audit committees and other bodies.
Demonstrated ability to use the following tools is desirable;
- Google workspace - (documents, spreadsheets, slides)
- Electronic audit management software;
- Computer assisted audit techniques (e.g. IDEA);
- Enterprise Resource Planning systems (e.g. Agresso);
- Project management tools (e.g. Wrike);
- Data analytics and continuous audit tools.
Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above) Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles. Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role). Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries. Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements. Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving. Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Education :- Master’s degree in finance, accounting, audit, economics, business management, commerce or related fields; - Bachelor’s degree in related field with additional 2 years relevant work experience in combination with professional auditing certification maybe accepted in lieu of the Master’s degree.
Experience: - Minimum 5 years of audit or other directly relevant experience such as Enterprise Risk Management, assurance, inspection, evaluation of risks, internal controls, etc. is required. Candidates with a Bachelor's degree should have two more years of relevant experience. - Audit experience in banking sector is required - Demonstrated experience in auditing treasury management systems, swift platform and loans processes is an asset. - Experience in contributing to digital transformation is recommended .
Language Requirements: - Fluency in written and oral English required. - Knowledge of second UN working language is desirable.
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type : IICA
- Contract level : IICA 2/ ISC 10
- Contract duration : Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx