Associate Project Officer
Application deadline 5 months ago: Thursday 24 Dec 2020
This is a UNV National Specialist contract. This kind of contract is known as National UN Volunteer. It is normally only for nationals. More about UNV National Specialist contracts.
Minimum age: 22 years old. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
Description of task
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of section/Senior Forensic Anthropologist and the Direct Supervision of the Associate Coordination Officer, the UN Volunteer Associate Project Officer will:
- Assist the Senior Forensic Anthropologist and the Associate Coordination Officer in administering the daily operations of the Unit;
- Support the liaison with Iraqi national authorities, UN agencies, relevant departments of the Government of Iraq, international organizations, the donor community and civil society to build stronger working relationships and pursue new areas of coordination and collaboration in regard to mass grave excavation and victim identification;
- Supports the delivery of UNITAD training and capacity building initiatives designed to enhance the capacity of local forensic institutions and prepare relevant concept notes, presentations and other training materials, as appropriate;
- Ensure close liaison with missions Logistics/Administrative/Finance/Human Resources units as necessary and appropriate;
- Follow up on the status of purchase and delivery for procurement of equipment with the Associate Coordination Officer and other units within UNITAD;
- Follow up the actions for placement of experts and consultants in coordination with the Senior Forensic Anthropologist and the Associate Coordination Officer and UNITAD Human Resources Unit
- Provide support and assistance in preparation and/or review of progress reports on the implementation of activities;
- Draft notes to file and summary reports of meetings held, with a focus on relevant conclusions and recommendations and timely and accurate reporting on the daily operations of the Unit;
- Support identifying project delivery issues and recommend solutions to overcome bottlenecks in implementation: covering technical, programmatic, financial and operational aspects;
- Provide support and assistance to field visits to Mass Grave Sites and/or mortuary facilities when required;
- Willingness to travel to all areas of Iraq
- Perform other duties as required.
Required degree level:
Bachelor degree or equivalent
Education - Additional Comments:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant area: law; medicine; international relations, social sciences or a related field.
- At least 3 years of professional work experience at the national and/or international level in programme administration and management, government liaison is required. Prior experience with in the UN or other international development organization. Experience in forensic archaeology and/or anthropology is an advantage
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious leaders and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels;
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines;
- Sound security awareness;
- Have affinity with or interest in issue surrounding mass atrocity crimes, missing persons, and volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Arabic(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Kurdish(Optional), Level - Working Knowledge
Area of expertise:
Development programme management, Resource mobilization, partnership and donor coordination, Administration and administrative assistance
Area of expertise details:
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment;
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
This is a national UN Volunteer assignment, therefore only nationals of Iraq and legal residents in Iraq with the status of refugee or with the status of being stateless are eligible to apply.
Application deadline: 24-12-2020