Associate Officer-Information Analyst
Application deadline 5 months ago: Sunday 27 Dec 2020
This is a UNV International Specialist contract. This kind of contract is known as International UN Volunteer. It is normally internationally recruited only. More about UNV International Specialist contracts.
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of task
Under the direct supervision of the Team Leader, Field Integrated Operations Centre, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Providing situational awareness of Unity State, South Sudan, through the compilation of daily reports;
- Reviewing all UN and non-UN information sources for drafting daily situational/operational reports on a 24/7 basis;
- Submitting the daily report through the FIOC Team Leader to the Joint Operations Center at UNMISS headquarters in Juba for synthesis into external and internal situational/operational information;
- Preparing analytical and technical briefings, reports, profiles and trend analyses on issues in Unity State, South Sudan;
- Drafting Flash and Incidents Reports and any necessary updates, to meet the need for speedy and increased information flow in response to a significant event or during an emergency, crisis or rapidly deteriorating situation;
- Ensuring that relevant written inputs are prepared for appropriate mission reports;
- Collecting, collating and verifying reports from sections of the UNMISS Field Office in Unity;
- Maintaining up-to-date knowledge and understanding of political, social and security issues;
- Monitoring and gathering information on events or incidents that may affect the implementation or the safety of the Mission and its mandate;
- Managing information to ensure its accessibility and utility;
- Contributing to the DPKO database SAGE through the provision of inputs and coordination with sections of the UNMISS Field Office in Unity and the Joint Operations Center at UNMISS headquarters in Juba;
- Performing other related duties as required.
Required degree level:
Bachelor degree or equivalent
Education - Additional Comments:
Degree level: Bachelor's degree or equivalent. Masters degree would be well regarded; Lesser qualification with relevant experience.
Type of Degree: Degree in Political science, International Relations, Law, Conflict Management, Security or any related field required.
- Minimum three (3) years’ relevant experience in information analysis in conflict or post-conflict environment is required;
- Experience in or knowledge of the conflict dynamics in South Sudan is highly desirable;
- Previous experience in a Joint Operations Centre or Joint Mission Analysis Cell would be an added advantage.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Area of expertise:
Political affairs and political reporting
Area of expertise details:
- Computer skills: Solid computer skills, including full proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word etc.) and other IT applications and office technology equipment;
- The candidate must have advanced skills in English drafting and report writing, analytical skills, databases, and presentation software as well as other electronic media;
- Have affinity with or interest in humanitarian relief, post-conflict situations, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System;
- Sound security awareness.
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 27-12-2020