Application deadline in 9 days: Monday 17 May 2021
This is a UNV National Specialist contract. This kind of contract is known as National UN Volunteer. It is normally only for nationals. More about UNV National Specialist contracts.
Minimum age: 22 years old. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
Description of task
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of Heads of Field Investigation Units or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UN Volunteer Investigator / Associate Investigator will:
- support the Field Investigation Units to be deployed by UNITAD;
- attend interviews of witnesses and victims;
- draft notes to file and records of meetings and interviews held with relevant groups and individuals, including victims and witnesses;
- preparing investigation reports, witness screening notes and written witness statements;
- assist in the identification and collection of information from major crime scenes, including mass graves;
- assist in the compilation, organization and storage of evidence and information obtained by their respective Field Investigation Units, in consultation with the Archive and Records Section and the Information Systems Management Unit of UNITAD; and
- undertaking computer / investigative system platform related duties, including data entry in investigation / evidence registration and management systems;
- perform field missions in accordance with UN safety and security standards;
- any other related duties as may be required.
Required degree level:
Bachelor degree or equivalent
Education - Additional Comments:
- At least 3 years of professional work experience at the national and/or international level in law enforcement or criminal investigations, in the military, or experience working in the UN or other international development organization is an asset;
- A relevant vocational training or equivalent in combination with investigation training and/or professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree;
- Excellent oral and written Arabic and English skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills;
- Ability to engage with people for the purposes of collecting evidential information to an international standard.
- Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development;
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines;
- Valid national driver’s license and proven ability to drive manual gear 4x4 over rough terrain;
- Sound security awareness;
- Have affinity with or interest in accountability and justice, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
- An understating of ISIL’s crimes and its financial activity is desired.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Arabic(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Area of expertise:
Resource mobilization, partnership and donor coordination, Public information and reporting
Area of expertise details:
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment;
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Managing Performance, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
This is a national UN Volunteer assignment, therefore only nationals of Iraq and legal residents in Iraq with the status of refugee or with the status of being stateless are eligible to apply.
Application deadline: 17-05-2021