Associate Field Officer (Protection)
Application deadline 1 year ago: Thursday 12 Aug 2021 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a UNV International Specialist contract. This kind of contract is known as International UN Volunteer. It is normally internationally recruited only. More about UNV International Specialist contracts.
Description of task
- Stay abreast of political, social, economic and cultural developments that have an impact on the protection environment and provide advice to senior management;
- Support UNHCR’s consultative process with local government counterparts, partners and persons of concern for effective needs assessment and planning;
- Facilitate UNHCR’s responses in addressing Sexual and Gender Based Violence (SGBV) priorities and other specific protection needs of women and men, children, youth and older persons, persons with disabilities, marginalized groups such as persons with diverse sexual orientations and gender identities;
- Manage individual protection cases including those on SGBV and child protection;
- Monitor the integrity of UNHCR operations management standards and procedures in the Area of Responsibility (AoR) and facilitate the respect of deadlines;
- Maintain protection presence through regular field missions and reports, making direct contact with persons of concern, host communities, local authorities and partners;
- Monitor and report on the protection, security and safety situation of persons of concern;
- Facilitate and monitor programmes on an Age, Gender, Diversity (AGD) basis to address identified protection needs;
- Support communities in establishing representation and coordination structures. Promote confidence building and conflict resolution among populations of concern, authorities and host communities;
- Provide advice and guidance on protection issues to internal and external interlocutors; ensure legal assistance is accessible to persons of concern; liaise with competent authorities to ensure the issuance of personal and other relevant documents and services to persons of concern;
Educational additional comments
Type of Degree: University degree in Law, International Law, International Relations, Social Sciences, Political Sciences or related field.
Minimum 2 years of work experience with refugees and/or other people of concern in a protection capacity required.
Desirable Qualifications and Skills:
- Knowledge of UN policies and procedures;
- Field experience;
- In addition to the qualifications and requirements stated above, the incumbent is expected to be flexible and ready to adapt to eventual new tasks as the situation evolves, great autonomy, dynamism and creativity; good sense of responsibility and initiative;
Knowledge of relevant UNHCR policies and guidelines is desirable; including knowledge of the mandate, the objectives and the operations and functioning of UNHCR.
Computer skills: Office Package (excellent knowledge of Word, good knowledge of Excel and Power Point) and Internet browsing.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Area of expertise details
- At least 5 years of professional work experience at the national and/or international level in 2, or other relevant programmes; experience with Post Conflict situation is an asset, as is experience working in the UN or other international development organization;
- Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills;
- Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development;
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment;
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines;
- valid national driver’s license and proven ability to drive manual gear 4x4 over rough terrain; (if not applicable, delete) Sound security awareness;
- Have affinity with or interest in X [working with Youths, Community based Structures and Local government], volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Working in Teams
- Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool? Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply. * Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool? Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply. Application deadline: 12 August 2021