Associate Director, Sustainer Retention
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work today in over 50 countries and 28 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure.
The IRC’s External Relations team comprises colleagues and teams delivering marketing, fundraising, brand stewardship and communications to support this work. As part of External Relations, the Mass Markets USA (MMUSA) program is responsible for raising $60+ million in unrestricted revenue annually in the U.S. market and plays a meaningful strategic role in the creation of IRC’s brand, awareness and support for its advocacy goals.
Reporting to the Director, Supporter Engagement and Retention, the Associate Director, Sustainer Retention is responsible for retaining and stewarding our sustainer giving cohort, bringing these donors even closer to the IRC’s mission.
The Associate Director of Sustainer Retention will help create and implement IRC’s sustainer retention program, meeting bold donor retention and revenue goals from donors who give on a recurring basis. The position will lead, craft, expand, and implement a comprehensive donor communication and retention program to help bring these valued partners even closer to the mission of the IRC.
• Working in partnership with the Director of Supporter Engagement and Retention, build and drive the strategy and execution for our Sustainer Retention program, projected to raise $18M annually and engage an audience of 50,000 monthly supporters.
• Set and achieve revenue targets by meeting performance metrics including donor retention, donor value retention, overall giving, and shrinking attrition.
• Design and implement an integrated, branded omni-channel and audience-led strategy for sustaining donors.
• Build a telemarketing program oriented towards saving, upgrading, and reactivating sustaining donors.
• Champion and expand the portfolio of sustaining donors, with the help of external partners, by using relationship-based moves management strategies to cultivate, upgrade, and retain existing sustaining donors.
• Develop alternative pathways for sustaining giving - including, but not limited to, quarterly and annual giving.
• Develop and complete data capture and communication plans to identify, and act on, donor commitment and interests.
• Work closely with MMUSA colleagues to plan and implement coordinated omni-channel campaigns (including but not limited to mail, telemarketing, SMS, and email) in line with the program's strategic and revenue goals.
• Lead all aspects of day-to-day management of vendors and staff who support the sustainer giving program.
• Support the Director in making recommendations to IRC senior management for additional investments needed to engage, retain, and upgrade a growing supporter base.
• Develop donor engagement and cultivation opportunities (like premiums, incentivized programs, or building community)
• Collaborate with key internal partners related to business rules and communication strategies for sustainers who are shared with other VIP portfolios (such as Planned Giving, Mid-Level, etc.).
• Work with the analytics team to prepare dashboards, reports and financial analyses as needed.
• Keep up to date on sector trends and significant metrics with a particular focus on the US, EU/UK, and IRC's peer organizations.
• Other marketing duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
• Bachelor's degree in communications, marketing, or a closely related field preferred or 8 years of equivalent experience is required working in direct marketing, philanthropy, or development. Project management experience is strongly preferred
• Experience leading staff and vendors
• Ability to identify, build, and implement processes vital to support effective donor relationships;
• Experience running multiple projects with varying deadlines, with many partners, both internal and external.
• Experience maintaining relationships with agencies and outside partners.
• Salesforce and Springboard experience a plus; CRM experience required (RaisersEdge, TA, Blackbaud, etc.).
• Dedication to the mission and values of the International Rescue Committee.
Proven Skills and Proficiencies:
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• Excellent problem-solving skills.
This role may work remotely (East Coast Hours), hybrid, or in-person full time. Some occasional travel may be required. If remote, applicants must have a home or alternate workspace they can effectively complete their work from during regularly scheduled hours.
Posted pay ranges apply to US-based candidates. Ranges are based on various factors including the labor market, job type, internal equity, and budget. Exact offers are calibrated by work location, individual candidate experience and skills relative to the defined job requirements.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity:
IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
The IRC and IRC staff must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Global Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, Equality and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti-Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We offer a comprehensive and highly competitive set of benefits. In the US, these include: 10 sick days, 10 US holidays, 20-25 paid time off days (depending on role and tenure), medical insurance starting at $145 per month, dental starting at $7 per month, and vision starting at $5 per month, FSA for healthcare, childcare, and commuter costs, a 403b retirement savings plans with up to 4.5% immediately vested matching contribution, plus a 3-7% base IRC contribution (3 year vesting), disability & life insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program which is available to our staff and their families to support counseling and care in times of crisis and mental health struggles.