Application deadline 20 hours ago: Thursday 30 Nov 2023 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a LICA Specialist-8 contract. This kind of contract is known as Local Individual Contractor Agreements. It is normally only for nationals. It's an external contract. More about LICA Specialist-8 contracts.
Background Information - Job-specific
United Nations Office Project Services
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners' peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organisations. With over 6,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, where they need it. By implementing around 1,000 projects for our partners at any given time, UNOPS makes significant contributions to results on the ground, often in the most challenging environments.
Austria Multi-Country Office (AUMCO)
The Austria Multi-Country Office (AUMCO) is part of the UNOPS Europe and Central Asia Region (ECR). Specifically, AUMCO aims to enable the achievement of Agenda 2030 and the Paris Agreement through global programmes and tailored interventions in the Balkans, South Caucasus, and Central Asia, focused on Infrastructure, Procurement, Project Management (full service, back on track), HR and Transactional Services, Grants Management and Technical and Advisory Services.
Under the purview of AUMCO, the UNOPS Uzbekistan Office, established in Tashkent in October 2022 supports the Government of Uzbekistan’s development efforts in the country, through the provision of effective project management, infrastructure and procurement services. At present, the office has signed and has been implementing three engagements contributing to SGD3 (Good Health and Wellbeing), while actively working with the Government of Uzbekistan and development partners in diversifying its portfolio in line with the country’s development priorities including education.
UNOPS Uzbekistan office has a portfolio of projects supporting the Government of Uzbekistan’s efforts in strengthening the healthcare system contributing to SDG3 (Good Health and Wellbeing). Overall, the current portfolio of projects focuses on all aspects of sectoral systems strengthening, including feasibility assessments for infrastructure facilities across the country, identification of requirements for various equipment and diagnostic needs, procurement and supply of equipment and establishing an ICT system for strengthening digitalisation and monitoring of data within facilities and across the sectors such as health and education including related training and capacity building development in this regard.
*** Only nationals of Uzbekistan or persons in Uzbekistan with residence and work permit are eligible for this position***
*** Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply***
Under the direct supervision of the Design Manager and in close collaboration with the Head of Infrastructure Service Delivery, the Architect will support the design, development and implementation of infrastructure components under the portfolio, in full accordance with UNOPS guidelines and procedures and other applicable national and international standards.
This includes but is not limited to, supporting the development and review of infrastructure designs, liaison with internal and external stakeholders in assuring the quality of designs, monitoring and assuring of infrastructure quality during the construction phase providing independent technical evaluation and recommendations to uphold the integrity of infrastructure implementation and participating in business development efforts as necessary. More specifically, the Architect will be accountable for the following:
1. Technical Responsibilities
- Support the Design Manager in ensuring the compliance of both the design development and implementation/construction phase with UNOPS regulations, as well as Uzbekistan national codes and standards, as necessary and oversee this process.
- Contribute to producing the requisite project deliverables including comprehensive risk assessments on design documents, identify potential issues, and collaborate closely with project teams to formulate mitigation strategies that ensure project success.
- Foster effective communication and collaboration among diverse design disciplines, such as architecture, structural engineering, mechanical engineering, and electrical engineering, to ensure a harmonious and integrated design approach.
- Play a pivotal role in coordinating with design consultants and their performance during the design development phase, particularly in the domain of architectural, spatial sustainability and energy building efficiency disciplines, operation and maintenance and Health and Safety considerations.
- Assist the Design Manager in providing technical expertise to the team in monitoring quality assurance design implementation/construction phase.
- Review technical specifications of equipment and materials for adherence to quality standards.
- Explore and assess cost-effective design alternatives and opportunities for value engineering, aiming to optimize project outcomes in terms of cost, performance, and sustainability.
- Support the Design Manager in coordinating technical design review approvals and in continuously evaluating and enhancing the design review process, streamlining workflows, and identifying potential areas for efficiency improvements to enhance the overall efficacy of the design review function.
- Provide impartial technical evaluations and recommendations, devoid of any conflicts of interest, and uphold the integrity of technical opinions in the face of project pressures.
- Actively participating in progress reviews and project coordination meetings, and subsequently creating meeting minutes.
- When necessary, collaborate with the procurement team to assess bids and contribute to evaluation reports.
- Support business development efforts as necessary, including liaison with potential clients, preparation of preliminary cost estimates, preliminary design documentation, and other tasks as necessary
- Execute any other responsibilities as assigned by the Supervisor.
2. Technical Documentation and Reporting
- Developing technical documentation and providing guidance to projects in developing their designs.
- Generating comprehensive and accurate bills of quantity, while keeping estimating rates up to date.
- Assist the Design Manager in preparing monthly and quarterly progress reports.
- Cooperating with fellow Infrastructure practitioners to collect and maintain construction data.
3. Knowledge sharing and management
- Engage in the project evaluation process by identifying and highlighting project-related challenges, and actively participating in a continuous improvement cycle.
- Support in delivering training and knowledge transfer to national/contractor personnel, offering guidance on sound design, construction, and engineering practices, as well as promoting environmental management practices, sustainability and resilience measures and appropriate health and safety standards.
- Contribute to the dissemination and exchange of best practices and lessons learned to enhance development planning and knowledge development.
- Participate in relevant Communities of Practice, fostering interaction with fellow Infrastructure practitioners and the broader community to share case studies, lessons learned, and best practices through the Knowledge System.
- Provide constructive feedback to Practice Leads on policies and supporting guidelines, with the goal of continuously enhancing UNOPS policies.
Impact of results
The Architect's capacity to efficiently produce outcomes plays a pivotal role in ensuring the project is completed punctually, within budget, and with exceptional quality, surpassing the expectations of all parties involved. This, in consequence, elevates UNOPS' standing as a proficient provider of project services and management, reinforcing its competitive position as the favored collaborator for sustainable development and project services.
- A Master's degree or a Bachelor's degree in Architecture or a relevant field with 2 years of relevant experience is desired and may substitute for additional years of experience.
- Additional certification by recognised institutions in the subject matter is an advantage.
b. Work experience
- At least 2 years of progressively responsible experience in Architecture.
- Knowledge of construction norms and standards of The Republic of Uzbekistan is mandatory.
- Knowledge of CAD software (AutoCAD or an alternative) is mandatory.
- Experience in the UN system organizations is desirable.
- Working knowledge of English is required.
- Fluency in either Uzbek or Russian is required. Fluency in both is an asset.
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles. Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role). Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries. Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements. Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving. Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: Local Individual Contractor Agreement (LICA)
- Contract level: Local Support Level 8, LICA-8, ICS-8
- Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds, satisfactory performance, and project duration.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that UNOPS does not accept unsolicited resumes.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process, which involves various assessments.
- UNOPS embraces diversity and is committed to equal employment opportunity. Our workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages, races, gender identities, sexual orientations, and abilities. UNOPS seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce.
- Qualified women and candidates from groups which are underrepresented in the UNOPS workforce are encouraged to apply. These include in particular candidates from racialized and/or indigenous groups, members of minority gender identities and sexual orientations, and people with disabilities.
- We would like to ensure all candidates perform at their best during the assessment process. If you are shortlisted and require additional assistance to complete any assessment, including reasonable accommodation, please inform our human resources team when you receive an invitation.
Terms and Conditions
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post.
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (they take around 4 hours to complete) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS. For more information on a retainer contract here.
- All UNOPS personnel are responsible for performing their duties in accordance with the UN Charter and UNOPS Policies and Instructions, as well as other relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, all personnel must demonstrate an understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in a manner consistent with UN core values and the UN Common Agenda.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential personnel. Recruitment in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.