Advisor, Publications Content Development
Application deadline 1 month ago: Friday 14 Apr 2023 at 21:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a P-4 contract. This kind of contract is known as Professional and Director staff. It is normally internationally recruited only. It's a staff contract. It usually requires 7 years of experience, depending on education.
The salary for this job should be between 148,736 USD and 191,764 USD.
Salary for a P-4 contract in Washington D.C.The international rate of 90,970 USD, with an additional 63.5% (post adjustment) at this the location, applies. Please note that depending on the location, a higher post adjustment might still result in a lower purchasing power.
Please keep in mind that the salary displayed here is an estimation by UN Talent based on the location and the type of contract. It may vary depending on the organization. The recruiter should be able to inform you about the exact salary range. In case the job description contains another salary information, please refer to this one.More about P-4 contracts and their salaries.
Fast-track your UN career: Let the AI Application Assistant tailor your applications to catch recruiters' attention.
OBJECTIVE OF THE OFFICE/DEPARTMENT
This requisition is for employment at the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)/Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO)
The Publications Team positions PAHO as health leader, catalyst, and an authoritative source of health information in the Americas and beyond. Through its expertise and advisory role, the Publications Team supports the PAHO Publications Committee to ensure that publications bolster the Organization's strategic priorities for maximum impact. The Team collaborates with PAHO technical departments and country offices to develop multilingual high-quality, high-impact information products that respond to the needs of the Organization's audiences; ensures that publications comply with rigorous and professional editorial standards; disseminates publications through the most appropriate channels; safeguards the Organization's intellectual property; and leads open-access initiatives to expand its reach to its stakeholders.
The incumbent will hold the role of Publications Content Development Advisor and will support the Publications Advisor in coordinating the production of innovative, timely, and impactful publications, tailored to diverse audiences, with the aim of increasing the Organization’s visibility across the Region and beyond. The post will require significant interaction and coordination at all levels of the Organization, and with editors and marketing specialists in the Publications Team. The role will involve the assessment of manuscripts and guiding and making recommendations to PAHO authors and external writers. The incumbent must exercise a high degree of independent judgment, initiative, decision-making capabilities and leadership skills.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the direct supervision of the Advisor, Publications Services (PUB), and the general guidance of the Deputy Director (DD), the incumbent is responsible for, but not necessarily limited to, the following assigned duties:
1. Provide technical guidance and oversee the development of appealing and compelling content for PAHO publications, through engagement with technical departments and country offices in order to raise the Organization’s visibility among its diverse audiences;
2. Assess internal and outsourced manuscripts, in particular of high-profile and advocacy publications, to ensure publications are well conceived, fit for purpose, and meet the needs of identified target audiences; provide guidance to authors and external writers;
3. Ensure alignment of key messages in PAHO publications with the Organization’s commitments to Member States and PAHO’s Strategic Plan;
4. Manage and oversee PUB’s roster of external writers and related skills providers, including identifying and vetting candidates and supervising their work, and recommending writers to technical units and country offices;
5. Establish a publications workflow that is driven by and responds to regional policy debate, the news cycle and topics that generate interest online; re-purpose content as needed;
6. Manage and oversee the development of position papers, key facts, and other products including branded series of these products;
7. Oversee and provide technical guidance for the development of summaries for policy-makers, in-briefs and other derivatives from high-profile publications;
8. Prepare drafts of forewords, executive summaries and other preliminary pages for high-profile publications and key reports and oversee and supervise the work of other authors and content writers, as needed;
9. Research, recommend and coordinate production of digital formats for the dissemination of key messages and findings across multiple channels;
10. Oversee the production of annual reports, including the coordination of external writers and engagement of technical departments and country offices in the validation and review of content;
11. Organize writing workshops at HQ and country offices to increase internal capacity in writing;
12. Research and recommend appropriate technologies and approaches in the production of content and formats for high-profile publications and their derivatives;
13. Keep abreast of the latest practices in publishing and the UN system and advise on developments that could support PAHO in its goals;
14. Perform other related duties, as assigned.
Essential: A bachelor’s degree in communication, journalism, international studies or any other field related to the functions of the post, and a master’s degree in journalism, business administration, a health or social science from a recognized university.
Desirable: Specialization in publishing or a master’s degree in public health would be an asset.
If your candidacy is retained for an interview, you will need to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an accredited/recognized institution in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the following link: http://www.whed.net/. PAHO will also use the databases of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation http://www.chea.org/search/default.asp and the College Navigator, found on the website of the National Centre for Educational Statistics, https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator to support the validation process.
Essential: Nine years of combined national and international professional experience in content analysis, writing and editing.
Desirable: Experience with an international organization or an international nongovernmental organization, preferably in the field of public health, medicine, or international development, including supervisory experience and experience in the coordination of writers, would be an asset.
Overall attitude at work: Maintains integrity and takes a clear ethical approach and stance; demonstrates commitment to the Organization’s mandate and promotes the values of the Organization in daily work and behavior; is accountable for work carried out in line with own role and responsibilities; is respectful towards, and trusted by, colleagues and counterparts.
Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences: Relate well to diversity in others and capitalize on such diversity - Relates well to diversity in others and capitalizes on such diversity. Treats all people with dignity and respect. Relates well to people with different cultures, gender, orientations, backgrounds and/or positions; examines own behavior to avoid stereotypical responses; considers issues from the perspective of others and values their diversity.
Teamwork: Collaborate and cooperate with others - Works collaboratively with team members and counterparts to achieve and build rapport; helps others when asked; accepts joint responsibility for the team’s successes and shortcomings.
Communication: Write effectively/Share knowledge - Writes down ideas in a clear, structured, logical and credible way; drafts and supports the development of guidelines, policies and procedures. Shares relevant information openly and ensures that the shared information is understood; considers knowledge sharing as a constructive working method and demonstrates awareness of the Organization.
Producing Results: Work efficiently and independently/Deliver quality results - Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs. Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives. Consistently solves own and team’s problems effectively as needed. Proactively engages in projects and initiatives, accepting demanding goals, in line with Organizational Strategies and Program of Work. Demonstrates accountability for work of team and sets an example, while explicitly articulating lessons learnt for own and team’s benefit.
Ensuring effective use of resources: Strategize and set clear objectives/Monitor progress and use resources well - Sets specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely objectives for own team and/or the Organization; systematically analyses and anticipates priority projects for own team and allocates necessary resources to achieve them; identifies the cross-Organizational resources needed for large- scale projects in line with key Organizational objectives. Anticipates foreseeable changes and adapts own and team’s projects in the face of unforeseen circumstances and/ or challenges; creates measures and criteria to monitor progress of overall projects against key Organizational objectives; creates cost-effective solutions for the Organization.
Building and promoting partnerships across the Organization and beyond: Develop networks and partnerships and encourage collaboration - Builds and negotiates strategic partnerships and alliances with a wide range of key stakeholders to ensure Organizational results and success. Creates innovative opportunities for promoting synergies inside and outside the Organization to improve Organizational success.
- Excellent analytical and content writing skills; ability to translate complex technical material into appealing and compelling advocacy products suitable for a variety of audiences, ranging from expert to general public (copywriter experience would be advantageous).
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of manuscript assessment for structure, logic flow and clarity of messages.
- Ability to think strategically and align messages across products and platforms.
- Excellent project management skills, and the ability to coordinate writers and editors.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, combined with the ability to write, speak, and present in a clear, concise, diplomatic, tactful, and courteous manner.
- Familiarity with public health, international development, and other fields relevant to the Organization.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and tasks in a complex organizational environment and to reprioritize activities at short notice, as well as organize workloads in accordance with defined deadlines.
Very good knowledge of English and Spanish. Knowledge of French and/or Portuguese would be an asset.
Demonstrated ability to effectively use current technology and software, spreadsheets and presentations, as well as Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) and management information systems. Other IT skills and knowledge of software programs such as Microsoft Excel, Outlook, OneDrive, PowerPoint, Teams, SharePoint, and Word are considered essential.
Monthly Salary****: (Net of taxes)
$6,443.83 (Salary is non-negotiable)
$4,091.83 This amount is to be considered as indicative since variations may occur each month either upwards or downwards due to currency exchange rate fluctuations or inflation.
- This vacancy notice may be used to identify candidates to fill other similar short-term professional positions, at the same grade level.
- Candidates will be contacted only if they are under serious consideration. A written test and/or interview will be held for this position as a form of screening.
- The post description is the official documentation for organization purposes.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to PAHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and e-Manual.
- For information on PAHO please visit: http://www.paho.org
- PAHO/WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- PAHO is an ethical organization that maintains high standards of integrity and accountability. People joining PAHO are required to maintain these standards both in their professional work and personal activities.
- PAHO also promotes a work environment that is free from harassment, sexual harassment, discrimination, and other types of abusive behavior. PAHO conducts background checks and will not hire anyone who has a substantiated history of abusive conduct.
- PAHO personnel interact frequently with people in the communities we serve. To protect these people, PAHO has zero tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse. People who commit serious wrongdoing will be terminated and may also face criminal prosecution.
- PAHO/WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- Applications from women and from nationals of non and underrepresented Member States are encouraged.
- All applicants are required to complete an on-line profile to be considered for this post.