Advisor, Health Emergencies
Application deadline 21 days ago: Wednesday 14 Jul 2021 at 21:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a P-4 contract. This kind of contract is known as Professional and Director staff. It is normally internationally recruited only. It's a staff contract. It usually requires 7 years of experience, depending on education.
The salary for this job should be between 119,171 USD and 153,646 USD per month.
Salary for a P-4 contract in BrasiliaThe international rate of 90,970 USD, with an additional 31% at this the location, applies.
Please keep in mind that the salary displayed here is an estimation by UN Talent based on the location and the type of contract. It may vary depending on the organization. The recruiter should be able to inform you about the exact salary range. In case the job description contains another salary information, please refer to this one.More about P-4 contracts and their salaries.
OBJECTIVE OF THE OFFICE/DEPARTMENT
This requisition is for employment at the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)/Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO)
The objective of the Health Emergencies Department (PHE) of the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO/WHO) is to increase health sector resilience to emergencies and disasters. PHE assists Member States to strengthen the health sector’s capacities in prevention, risk reduction, preparedness, surveillance, response, and early recovery for emergencies and disasters related to any hazards (natural, man-made, biological, chemical, radiological and others) and, when national capacities are overwhelmed, to lead and coordinate the international health response to contain disasters, including outbreaks, and to provide effective relief and recovery to affected populations. PHE is responsible for ensuring the implementation and updating of the PAHO/WHO Institutional Emergency and Disaster Response Policy.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the general supervision of the Director, Health Emergencies (PHE), and the direct supervision of the PAHO/WHO Representative, the incumbent is responsible for, but not limited to, the following assigned duties:
- Manage PAHO’s health emergencies program at national level in Brazil; advise, guide, and support national authorities to develop, implement, and evaluate policies and programs to prevent, mitigate, prepare for, and respond to national emergencies and disasters caused by all types of hazards, including natural, technological, biological, chemical, radiological, or those resulting from social conflicts
- Provide technical advice and guidance on the establishment and/or strengthening of national disaster/emergency programs in the health sector, including the development, implementation and evaluation of country strategies and work plans pertaining to health emergencies, ensuring compliance with PAHO's organization-wide Health Emergencies strategies
- Oversee, in the context of the International Health Regulations (IHR), the prevention, early detection, verification, risk assessment and investigation of epidemic prone infectious hazards and the analysis and dissemination of data related to the occurrence of outbreaks in close collaboration with relevant teams at country and regional levels;
- Advise national authorities on policies, norms, standards and guidelines to support the development of critical core capacities for surveillance and response to outbreaks and promote the participation of Brazil’s partner agencies in the Global Outbreak Alert and Response Network (GOARN); provide training and support to national authorities to develop critical core capacities
- Identify catalytic areas where disaster risk reduction and climate change mitigation and adaptation measures can be integrated and add value to ongoing or planned technical cooperation support interventions
- Provide technical advice and guidance for the implementation of health emergencies policies, concepts, tools and strategies at the country level, for the prevention and, where feasible, elimination of diseases/epidemic risks. Work with partners, to improve approaches and methods of controlling epidemics in different epidemiological situations
- Promote multi-disciplinary and cross-cutting approaches and activities with key national and international partners, at the country level, to ensure the successful implementation, monitoring and evaluation of capacities in line with IHR (2005) requirements, as well as the identification of financing for country plans
- Ensure that risk communication messages are technically sound and socio-culturally appropriate to induce, engage and empower stakeholders in the prevention, mitigation and control of infectious hazards and health emergencies
- Make recommendations and give guidance on relevant courses of actions to be taken in affected as well as non-affected areas in order to prevent and/or control cause of excess morbidity and mortality related to emergencies and disasters
- Manage the timely and high-quality collection, analysis, production and dissemination of health emergency data/information. This includes response specific information (what, where, who, when, how many, how quickly, current status), internal and external situation reports (SitReps), bulletins, rapid needs assessments, health risk assessments, and the Public Health Situation Analysis; and health inputs into humanitarian needs overviews (HNO), and strategic response plans (SRP)
- Support national authorities to develop and improve field information management procedures at the local and regional levels to ensure that information management in the field provides the best possible functionality and usability to stakeholders
- Maintain relations and facilitate coordination among all health emergency related actors (Ministry of Health, national and international NGOs, UN organizations, etc.) on all matters related to emergencies and disaster management (prevention, mitigation, preparedness, response and recovery), including the mobilization of resources for the Organization's technical cooperation in health emergencies, including humanitarian response
- Act as first-line emergency responder in case of a country emergency in line with the PAHO Policy and procedures for Institutional Response to Emergencies and Disasters and serve as/or support the Incident Manager in the country in case of a graded emergency. Collaborate with other UN agencies and provide health expertise and required information, where relevant and in close collaboration with the Regional Office; serve as a member of Regional Health Disaster Response Team
- Coordinate and manage the health information and risk assessment team, promoting an environment of professional inquisitiveness, anticipating new challenges and seeking solutions and evaluating their effectiveness, demonstrating to stakeholders and collaborators a commitment to excellence
- Support the provision of data and information required for any PHE-related documents to be presented to PAHO and WHO Governing bodies; coordinate the implementation of the various Regional Plans of Action under the responsibility of the health emergencies program, including the plans for disaster risk reduction, coordination of health humanitarian assistance, as well as, plans related to high threats epidemic prone diseases (influenza, plague, yellow fever, cholera and other emerging and reemerging bacterial and viral diseases)
- Coordinate and collaborate with the Country Office in the planning, development, and implementation of binational plans of action for health emergencies, as required
- Contribute to the preparation of biennial work plan (BWP), and budgets, semiannual work plans and periodic evaluations for assigned projects; participate in the performance evaluation of the Unit
- Assist the Country Office team to ensure the PAHO Country Office fully complies with WHO readiness checklist including updating of the country office emergency preparedness and disaster response including the updating of the Country Office Emergency Response Plan and Business Continuity Plan (BCP)
- Perform other related duties, as assigned
Essential: A university degree in a health, social, or environmental science and a master’s degree in a health science, public health, or in a discipline related to emergency and disaster management from a recognized institution
Desirable: A degree in medicine or specialized training in emergency and outbreak management or specific training in humanitarian response, disaster preparedness, or risk reduction would be an asset
In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide a scanned copy of the degree(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited in the World Higher Education Database (WHED) link: http://www.whed.net/. PAHO will also use the databases http://www.chea.org and https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator to support the validation process
Essential: Nine years of combined national and international experience in a managerial position in public health, social services, or disaster management (prevention, mitigation, preparedness, response and recovery)
Desirable: Experience in the UN System with knowledge of inter-agency mechanisms in the area of national and international preparedness for and response to health emergencies would be an asset. Field experience in public health programs or emergency management programs in developing countries, including coordination of large-scale public health projects, would be an asset
- Overall attitude at work****: Maintains integrity and takes a clear ethical approach and stance; demonstrates commitment to the Organization’s mandate and promotes the values of the Organization in daily work and behavior; is accountable for work carried out in line with own role and responsibilities; is respectful towards, and trusted by, colleagues and counterparts
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences****: Relate well to diversity in others and capitalize on such diversity Treats all people with dignity and respect. Relates well to people with different cultures, gender, orientations, backgrounds and/or positions; examines own behavior to avoid stereotypical responses; considers issues from the perspective of others and values their diversity
- Teamwork****: Collaborate and cooperate with others Works collaboratively with team members and counterparts to achieve and build rapport; helps others when asked; accepts joint responsibility for the team’s successes and shortcomings
- Communication****: Express oneself clearly when speaking/Listen/Write effectively/Share knowledge Foresees communication needs of audience and targets message accordingly. Facilitates open communication; encourages others to share their views openly and takes time to understand and consider their views. Writes down ideas in a clear, structured, logical and credible way; drafts and supports the development of guidelines, policies and procedures. Shares relevant information openly and ensures that the shared information is understood; considers knowledge sharing as a constructive working method and demonstrates awareness of the Organization
- Creating an empowering and motivating environment****: Provide direction Manages individual and group projects and ensures that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clearly defined, understood and accepted; delegates work appropriately to achieve best results
- Producing Results****: Work efficiently and independently/Deliver quality results Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs. Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives. Consistently solves own and team’s problems effectively as needed. Proactively engages in projects and initiatives, accepting demanding goals, in line with Organizational Strategies and Program of Work. Demonstrates accountability for work of team and sets an example, while explicitly articulating lessons learnt for own and team’s benefit
- Ensuring effective use of resources****: Strategize and set clear objectives/Monitor progress and use resources well Sets specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely objectives for own team and/or the Organization; systematically analyses and anticipates priority projects for own team and allocates necessary resources to achieve them; identifies the cross-Organizational resources needed for large- scale projects in line with key Organizational objectives. Anticipates foreseeable changes and adapts own and team’s projects in the face of unforeseen circumstances and/ or challenges; creates measures and criteria to monitor progress of overall projects against key Organizational objectives; creates cost-effective solutions for the Organization
- Building and promoting partnerships across the Organization and beyond****: Develop networks and partnerships and encourage collaboration Builds and negotiates strategic partnerships and alliances with a wide range of key stakeholders to ensure Organizational results and success. Creates innovative opportunities for promoting synergies inside and outside the Organization to improve Organizational success
- Theoretical knowledge and technical expertise at the highest level in the areas of humanitarian aid, emergency preparedness, and disaster risk reduction
- Demonstrated knowledge of the rapid response operations and their implementation in emergencies as related to public health, complemented by demonstrated ability to identify and manage difficult situations, to lead and direct multidisciplinary and multinational staff
- Excellent skills in the assessment, monitoring, analysis and evaluation of emergency situations, with the ability to conceptualize and implement innovative strategies and advocate their implementation
- Practical knowledge of results-based management concepts and tools and their applications, especially related to outcome formulation and indicator development
- Mature judgment, strong technical, analytical, conceptual, inter-personal and communication skills; demonstrated ability to identify, assess, analyze, synthesize and provide recommendations on key political, technical and administrative issues
- Ability to coordinate, establish and maintain identifiable results-oriented productive relationships with key actors, monitoring activities, ensuring product delivery and reporting
- Strong professional oral and writing skills including the development of reports, oral presentations, and technical/persuasive documents for consideration at the highest levels of the Organization
Very good knowledge of Spanish or English with a working knowledge of the other language. Knowledge of French and/or Portuguese would be an asset
Demonstrated ability to effectively use a computer and utilize software programs such as Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Other IT skills and knowledge of other software programs such as Visio, Microsoft SharePoint and Project would be an asset.
Annual Salary****: (Net of taxes)
US $74,913.00 post adjustment
Post Adjustment****: 27.5% of the above figure. This percentage is to be considered as indicative since variations may occur.
This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level****.
Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to PAHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and e-Manual. PAHO/WHO is committed to workforce diversity. PAHO/WHO offers an attractive compensation package including an annual net salary and post adjustment, which reflects the cost of living in a particular duty station and exchange rates (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance). Other benefits include: 30 days annual leave, dependency benefits, pension plan and health insurance scheme. Benefits for internationally recruited staff may include home leave, travel and removal expenses on appointment and separation, education grant for dependent children, assignment grant and rental subsidy. Candidates appointed to an international post with PAHO are subject to mobility and may be assigned to any activity or duty station of the Organization throughout the world. All applicants are required to complete an on-line profile to be considered for this post. Candidates will be contacted only if they are under serious consideration. A written test and/or interview will be held for this post. The post description is the official documentation for organization purposes.