Administrative & Finance Assistant, G-5 Fixed Term, Global Office of Research & Foresight, Florence Italy
Application deadline 5 months ago: Sunday 25 Jun 2023 at 21:55 UTCOpen application form
This is a G-5 contract. This kind of contract is known as General Service and related categories. It is normally only for nationals. It usually requires 5 years of experience, depending on education. More about G-5 contracts.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Research
Job organizational context:
The Office of Research-Innocenti is the dedicated research office of UNICEF. It undertakes and commissions research on emerging or current issues of relevance for children in order to inform the strategic directions, policies and programmes of UNICEF and its partners, to shape global debates on child rights and development, and to inform the global research and policy agenda for children, particularly for the most vulnerable.
The position will work in the Operations team under the overall guidance of Chief of Operations (P4, #43579) and under direct supervision of Sr. Administrative Assistant (G7, #6423) to provide essential administrative/procurement and financial support.
Purpose for the job:
The Administrative and Finance Assistant provides a range of administrative and financial support to the efficient implementation of a broad range of administrative/procurement and financial functions, ensuring accurate and timely delivery, whilst promoting a client-based, quality and results-orientated approach to the unit and ensuring compliance with UNICEF rules and regulations. The Administrative and Finance Assistant works closely with other member of the Operations Team and Programme Assistants within the office.
Key functions, accountabilities and related duties/tasks:
- Handle accounting and financial transactions and act upon payment-related functions in VISION, SAP and Service Gateway systems.
- Review invoices from vendors, contractors and consultants. Check cost calculations, financial accuracy and adherence to UNICEF Rules and Regulations Produce Cash receipts in VISION (when required),. Assure accuracy of computation and completeness of documentation.
- Act as the Local Focal Point (LFP) for Finance and Master Data Management (MDM) vis a vis the Global Shared Services Centre (GSSC). Enter cases in “Service Gateway”, scan all relevant financial records according to instructions and follow through with payment processes for finalization.
- Facilitate filing and retrieval of Operations documents and ensure safekeeping of financial records. Act as Focal Point for EFAAT (Environmental Footprint & Accessibility Assessment Tool).
- Maintain contact with local bank, monitor bank statements and keep an overview of transactions. Clarify questions pertaining to office bank accounts. Monitor and reconcile bank charges.
- Assist in the periodic financial closure activities including the review of GL accounts and undertake corrective actions when necessary.
- Provide logistic support in the organization of official meetings/events.
Travel focal point.
- Ensure the accurate application of UNICEF travel policy and procedures and issue / supervise the issuance of TAs / air tickets / payment of travel advances to ensure accuracy and compliance with travel rules.
- Authorize issuance of tickets, payment of travel entitlements, process travel claims and monitor travel expenses.
- Assist in preparation of Travel management reports.
- Supervise the overall Travel functions.
Support in the management of office properties, plants, equipment and office furniture.
- Perform day to day tracking and management of physical assets and ensure accuracy of information on AMR in Vision.
- Assist with required physical asset verification and inventory exercise.
- Support and assist in the execution of property surveys board recommendations as approved by the head of office.
- Perform Vision/mAsset transactions related to asset maintenance and management.
Act as Procurement Focal Person for supplies and ensure compliance and application of procurement rules and regulations at all time.
- Ensure all procurements for the office are planned properly and all procurements done on timely basis.
- Support in establishment of Long Term Arrangements for most of the routine procurements, including procurement of goods and services and act on specific purchase requisitions as might be required in accordance with UNICEF Procurement Procedures and Guidance.
- As assigned by the supervisor, prepare Request for Quotation, Invitation to Bid and Request for Proposal, assist in bid opening and participate in bid tabulation and comparison.
- Prepare Purchase Requisitions and Issue PO/Contracts to Suppliers.
- Monitor PRs and POs implementation and follow up.
- Undertake when necessary market research to identify potential suppliers.
- Provide administrative support in preparing appropriate solicitations documents.
- Act as Focal Point for VERA (Vendor Evaluation Request Application).
Support in the general Admin Functions and any other task assigned by the supervisor.
Education: Completion of secondary education preferably supplemented by technical or university courses related to business administration, financial management, or related field is an asset. Experience: -A minimum of 5 years of solid work experience in provision of administrative and financial support services is required. -Advanced knowledge in the Microsoft Suite of Products (including MS Word, MS Excel & MS PowerPoint), and Intranet/Internet is required. -Experience in Data Entry and use of SAP/Vision is an asset. -Very good knowledge of UNICEF travel procedures and good experience in the travel field. -Very good knowledge of Supply procurement procedures & all VISION’s supply transactions. -Understanding of principles and standards of accountability and sound application of financial rules and regulations
Language Requirements: Fluency in English (verbal and written) and Italian is required. Knowledge of an additional UN Language is considered an asset.
Competencies and level of proficiency required
Core Values Commitment Diversity and inclusion Integrity
Communication (I) Working with people (II) Drive for results (I)
Analyzing (I) Learning and Researching (I) Planning and Organizing (I) Following Instructions and Procedures (I)
Candidates will be recruited in Italy or within commuting distance of the office and must have legal residency status in Italy.
For every Child, you demonstrate...
UNICEF’s Core Values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust and Accountability and Sustainability (CRITAS) underpin everything we do and how we do it. Get acquainted with Our Values Charter: UNICEF Values
During the recruitment process, we test candidates following the competency framework. Familiarize yourself with our competency framework and its different levels: competency framework here.
UNICEF is here to serve the world’s most disadvantaged children and our global workforce must reflect the diversity of those children. The UNICEF family is committed to include everyone, irrespective of their race/ethnicity, age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, nationality, socio-economic background, or any other personal characteristic. We offer a wide range of benefits to our staff, including paid parental leave, breastfeeding breaks and reasonable accommodation for persons with disabilities. UNICEF strongly encourages the use of flexible working arrangements. UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF is committed to promote the protection and safeguarding of all children. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
UNICEF appointments are subject to medical clearance. Appointments are also subject to inoculation (vaccination) requirements, including against SARS-CoV-2 (Covid). Government employees that are considered for employment with UNICEF are normally required to resign from their government before taking up an assignment with UNICEF. UNICEF reserves the right to withdraw an offer of appointment, without compensation, if medical clearance is not obtained, or necessary inoculation requirements are not met, within a reasonable period for any reason.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.