Administration Associate (Protocol) (G6) Damascus VA026-2022
Application deadline in 5 days: Saturday 28 May 2022 at 22:59 UTCOpen application form
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
All applications should be received no later than the 28 of May 2022.
CONTRACT TYPE & DURATION
Contract Type: Fixed Contract - G6
Duration: 12 months
Duty Station: Damascus
Number of required employees: 1
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetime. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. In 2020, WFP was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for its efforts to fight hunger globally, including its work during the coronavirus pandemic.
In Syria, WFP provides food assistance to more than 4.6 million people each month. This includes families who require emergency assistance when affected by conflict and displacement and also those who need help to improve their nutrition and food security. WFP supports children across Syria with healthy meals and snacks at school, mothers with nutritious diets, and families and communities with sustainable livelihood projects.
Support the National Protocol Officer with the technical part of the administration work related to Protocol Unit responsibilities
Organizational Context and Role:
Under the close supervision of the National Protocol Officer the G6 will take part in supporting the technical drafting of the Note verbals and checking that it is written in the right vocabs to meet MoFA standards (for both English and Arabic texts) for the Operational requests including requests for Entry Visas/Residencies, also will provide translation of MoFA requests to WFP and for Note Verbals The G6 should have analytical skills to preform data compiling for reporting purposes and support preparing taking points for official high-level meetings The G6 and will assist the Protocol Officer in overseeing that all requests are on track and met on timely matter. While the Protocol Officer remain the focal point to contact MoFA to follow up on all requests submitted to MoFA, the G6 can cover the gap when the Officer is not available (due to travel or preforming other duties). Support in preparing and conducting all requirements and making sure that all arranges are in place for High-Level Delegations to Syria Country Office.
This post is based in Damascus Country Office and follow under the direct supervision of the National Protocol Officer in Management team.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Within delegated authority, the Administration Associate will be responsible for the following duties:
- Answer a range of queries related to the provision of administrative services in order to support the resolution of daily issues.
- Coordinate the activities of a team of staff working in the area, to ensure individual and team objectives are met in compliance with all relevant regulations, policies, and procedures, and performance plan.
- Take part in receiving, accompany and see off official delegations and government guests.
- Assist in organizing hospitality and other logistic arrangements for visiting delegations and government guests (in coordination with relevant units, such as Admin)
- Support the National Protocol Officer in liaising with the Regional Bureau or Head Quarters regarding international visitors.
- Provide support in preparing meetings with local officials in coordination with Ministry of Foreign Affairs, other UN agencies or other individuals.
- Coordinate with admin, security and transport units for the arrangements of road missions and airport transfers for visitors.
- Support the National Protocol Officer to coordinate with Ministry of Foreign Affairs to obtain visas for guests and prepare necessary documents.
- Take part in arranging and coordinating all meetings between the Mission officials and local authorities.
- Provide support to coordinate logistical requirements to the ceremonies and protocol tasks as may be required.
- Provide protocol assistance in coordination with the National Protocol Officer for activities of the Head of the Office and other senior representatives of the Office as required, in line with their day-to-day programs.
- Support in organizing the external missions’ trips as regards appointment, accommodation, immigration formalities, and visa; in coordination with protocol units of the destination countries.
- Support the National Protocol officer in acting as a mission focal point for all communications and coordinate with the related office of the Host Government.
- Assists and advises the Military Personnel, UNPOL, UNVs, and International Contractors in providing entry and extension of visas and assists international staff’s eligible family members to obtain entry and extension visas (when applicable).
- Provide reports in relation to field missions and visas statuses to inform management when meeting with local authorities (using the Protocol System database)
- Act as a focal point to track the Protocol System database, provide assistance and training to WFP staff to better use the system and initiate improvements to enhance the quality of its data in coordination with the ICT unit.
- Familiarizes staff members with local laws when interacting with local authorities.
- Help in obtaining flight clearance through diplomatic mission or ministries.
- Preform the duties of the National Protocol Officer when he/she is absent.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in related area (English Literature, International relations, Political Science).
- Five or more years of relevant experience to the position (within the Humanitarian field will be an added advantage)
- Experience in planning, monitoring and processing administrative actions related to protocol functions.
- Experience within the UN system will be an added advantage
- Has demonstrated a sound understanding of WFP administrative operating standards and awareness of international humanitarian development issues through day to day work.
- Has provided ad-hoc guidance to new staff members Knowledge & Skills:
Knowledge & Skills:
- Very good writing skills in both English and Arabic languages.
- Ability to use computers, including correspondences by emails.
- Good communication skills in order to provide specialized protocol services to a wide range of individuals.
- Ability to proactively identify and recommend areas for improvement to the design and delivery of protocol/administrative services.
- Ability to build relationships with a variety of individuals across functions.
- Experience in coordinating the work of others and provide training and support to others.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Languages: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Arabic languages, ability to provide translation from Arabic to English or vice versa.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Please upload your professional CV in English in PDF format making sure to include the following in terms of “Experience”:
- Company/Organization name and scope of work of the organization
- Exact Position Title
- Contract type: part-time, full-time, volunteer, consultant, or freelancer
- Start and End date of Employment for each position: From (dd/mm/yyyy) to (dd/mm/yyyy)
- Responsibilities: To mention the main responsibilities that highlight your gained skills and experience
- A proof of your experience will be required in the final stage of recruitment.
Only shortlisted candidates will be invited to the next stage of the selection process. Candidates must get an auto confirmation email once application is submitted.
Please make sure to upload your cover letter for this position
HOW TO APPLY
If any of the below links do not work by clicking on it, please copy and paste it in the browser address bar:
Please ensure that your VPN is connected before clicking on the link below.
Internal candidates: https://performancemanager5.successfactors.eu/sf/jobreq?jobId=163201&company=C0000168410P
External candidates: https://router.job-listing.wfp.org/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=163201&company=C0000168410P
Qualified female applicants are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.