Social Media Intern (Nepalese national only) for Communication Section - UNICEF South Asia
Application deadline in 6 days: Tuesday 9 Mar 2021
This is a Internship contract. More about Internship contracts.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, a future
How can you make a difference?
UNICEF South Asia, through effective support to country offices and strategic engagement with partners, contributes to winning support for the cause of children from decision makers and the wider public particularly on key priority issues in South Asia. This includes providing technical assistance, capacity building and coordination to enhance digital advocacy in the region.
In the past few years, UNICEF South Asia has achieved unprecedented reach and engagement through its social media platforms, with more than 2 million followers. Many of our audiences not only seek information but wish to actively engage in conversations on crucial issues concerning children’s wellbeing and rights. One of our strategic focuses is to ensure greater understanding, participation and meaningful engagement with our youth online audiences across the region, especially through an exploration of new digital platforms with substantial youth audiences, such as TikTok. This will also provide an opportunity to win the youth audiences’ support for the cause of children in South Asia.
Objectives of the Internship:
The purpose of this internship is to find a creative, innovative, motivated social media intern for a 6-month period starting April 2021 to launch UNICEF South Asia’s new TikTok account. The qualified candidate will support UNICEF ROSA’s efforts to engage children and youth of South Asia in meaningful conversations about child rights. This internship will provide the successful candidate an exposure to the working environment of a multilateral organization and a better understanding of UNICEF’s mandate to safeguard the rights of every child, everywhere.
Expected results (measurable results)
Under the supervision of the ROSA Regional Chief of Communication, the intern will:
- Launch the UNICEF South Asia TikTok account
- Grow UNICEF South Asia’s TikTok following among key target audiences
- Design two regional campaigns for TikTok – Climate Change and COVID
Key tasks and responsibilities
Working directly under the supervision of the Regional Chief of Communication, the intern will be responsible for the following specific tasks:
- Prepare UNICEF South Asia TikTok profile’s strategy and launch plan.
- Support the official launch of UNICEF South Asia TikTok account.
- Work with ROSA Social Media Consultant to create bi-weekly content calendars.
- Independently develop creative and fun video concepts, as well as compile content from the region and edit videos suited for the TikTok platform and targeted audiences.
- Promote UNICEF’s brand awareness and regional advocacy priorities and programs on TikTok.
- Map TikTok influencers in the region and identify opportunities to partner with at least 4 TikTok influencers in 2021 to promote UNICEF campaigns.
- Prepare bi-weekly analytics and content reports capturing regional trends, feedback from followers, opportunities and challenges related to youth and children in the region, and UNICEF South Asia’s TikTok account performance.
- Maintain a repository of all TikTok-related multimedia (audiovisual and graphics) on UNICEF WeShare platform.
- Lead day to day monitoring and management of UNICEF South Asia’s TikTok account, including posting content, monitoring content performance and coordinating with ROSA Social Media Consultant to manage responses to questions and queries posted by followers.
- Adapting TikTok trends in an innovative way to create fun and creative videos that are on trend, but still adhere to UNICEF key messages.
- Engage with the TikTok community daily in a way that is on-brand.
- Establish best practices.
- Contribute to the strategy, vision, and voice of the channel.
- Conduct a qualitative report to identify themes and issues raised by South Asian youth on the platform.
- In charge of the fan base growth of UNICEF South Asia TikTok channel.
- Assist the communication section with additional tasks as required.
Summary of key deliverables:
No. of Period
Support the ROSA Communication Section to create TikTok strategy and launch the account.
30 April 2021
In coordination with the Social Media Consultant, develop
bi-weekly content calendars and create and publish content according to it.
31 May 2021
Complete an influencer mapping exercise to identify and engage with 4 relevant TikTokers in South Asian countries and co-create content with them.
30 June 2021
Create bi-weekly analytics and content reports capturing regional trends, feedback from followers and channel’s overall performance.
31 July 2021
Conduct a qualitative report to identify themes and issues raised by South Asian young people on TikTok (i.e. social listening).
31 August 2021
Support the growth of UNICEF South Asia TikTok channel through community management and monitoring performance.
30 September 2021
Interns receive a monthly stipend of NPR 47,685 (five days a week) from UNICEF.
- UNICEF accepts no responsibility for costs or fatality arising from illness or accidents incurred during the internship; therefore, the intern must have adequate medical insurance.
- Applicants for internship must show proof of valid medical and life/accident insurance for the duty station for which they will work.
Learning Opportunities for the Intern:
- General understanding of the work and mission of the UNICEF programme in South Asia
- Insight and hands-on experience on UNICEF’s communication and advocacy programme
- Become more familiar with working in a United Nations / international organization and in a multicultural environment
- Become proficient TikTok content creator
An accrual of 2.5 days per month to be used as annual leave, emergency leave, or uncertified sick leave.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Recently completed or currently pursuing a University Degree in English, communication, journalism, creative writing, video editing, graphic design, social science or a similar discipline
- Demonstrable significant experience as a TikTok user
- Demonstrable knowledge of which content performs well on Tiktok and what does not
- Experience editing videos for web and social media
- Strong communication skills, written English skills and ability to write clearly, succinctly and for varying audiences
- Knowledge of standard MS Office applications and other computer skills
- A keen and proven interest/knowledge in social media and other creative web applications
- Experience using design and editing softwares such as Adobe Creative Suite, Final Cut or similar to create videos
- Knowledge of and interest in South Asia news is an asset
- Good research and analytical skills
- Knowledge of child rights principles is an asset or willingness to learn
- Previous experience working in digital communications or for an international organisations highly desirable
- Fluent in English written and spoken
Intern Status within UNICEF:
- Interns are considered gratis personnel and as such they are not staff members.
- Although not considered a staff member of UNICEF, the intern shall be subject to the authority of the Executive Director and the authority delegated by her to Director and Heads of Offices. Interns are not entitled to the privileges and immunities accorded by member states to UNICEF's officials and staff members.
- Interns may not be sought or accepted as substitutes for staff to be recruited against authorized posts.
- Interns may not represent UNICEF in any official capacity.
Other Relevant Information
- The intern will work full-time in the Regional Office of South Asia in Kathmandu, Nepal. The intern will work on computer provided by the office. The candidate selected will be governed by and subject to UNICEF’s General Terms and Conditions for interns.
- As an intern, you will respect the confidentiality of information that you collect or are exposed to at UNICEF. No reports or papers may be published based on information obtained from UNICEF without the explicit written authorization by the Head of Office or Division Director.
- The UNICEF internship programme is not connected with employment and there is no expectancy of such. Interns cannot apply for posts advertised internally to UNICEF staff during the period of internship.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF's values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The UNICEF competencies required for this post are...
- Demonstrate initiative, creativity and enthusiasm
- Able to work well in a team environment
- Comfortable in front of a camera and being the face of our brand
- Must have a passion for creating creative and engaging video content
- Must have a deep understanding of TikTok’s ecosystem (i.e. trends, hashtags, music usage, guidelines)
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to quickly understand instructions, ask for clarification when needed, adapt and work independently to produce results on time
- Graphic design would be an asset
- Public speaking would be an asset
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
Click here to learn more about UNICEF’s values and competencies.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.