Senior Technical Officer - Research (AfCDC)
Application deadline in 1 day: Wednesday 6 Dec 2023 at 21:00 UTCOpen application form
• Respect for Diversity and Team Work • Think Africa Above all
• Transparency and Accountability • Integrity and Impartiality
• Efficiency and Professionalism • Information and Knowledge Shari
Reports to: Head of Division Emergency Preparedness and Response Directorate/Department/Organ: Africa CDC Division: Preparedness and Response Number of Direct Reports: - Number of Indirect Reports: - Job Grade: P3 Number of Positions: 1 Contract Type: Fixed Term Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Purpose of Job
The Senior Technical Officer – Research is responsible for leading and coordinating research activities in the Division of Preparedness and Response. This includes developing and implementing research plans, managing research projects, and disseminating research findings. The Senior Technical Officer will also work to build partnerships with other organizations to support research activities.
This job involves the following main functions that are generally applicable for this category: • Provide technical and intellectual support in the management of various elements related to the area of expertise. • Identify best practices and monitor effectiveness of the Office’s support to Africa CDC. • Assist in the development of the strategies and business continuity plan and participate in/ensure their implementation • Foster and ensure implementation of initiatives related to area of specialization; • Assist in the organization of thematic networks, consultations and meetings on development cooperation and international relations. • Develop materials and provide necessary training and support to Organization Units as required. • Provide technical guidance on matters relating to system review and implementation project in area of specialization, as required.
• Develop and implement research plans in line with the Division's strategic plan. • Lead the development and implementation of innovative technological solutions for public health emergencies and outbreaks in Africa • Manage a team of technical experts and researchers to conduct data analysis, modeling, simulation, and visualization of health risks and interventions • Coordinate with internal and external stakeholders, including national public health institutes, regional economic communities, and international partners, to ensure alignment of objectives and priorities • Provide technical guidance and mentorship to junior staff and fellows in the Division of Preparedness and Response • Oversee the design, testing, and evaluation of new tools and platforms for data collection, management, and dissemination • Ensure compliance with ethical standards and data protection policies • Represent the Division of Preparedness and Response in relevant meetings, workshops, and conferences • Prepare and present reports, publications, and proposals to showcase the impact and achievements of the Division of Preparedness and Response • Contribute to the strategic planning and budgeting of the Division of Preparedness and Response • Manage research projects, including budgeting, staffing, and monitoring. • Dissemination of research findings through publications, presentations, and workshops. • Build partnerships with other organizations to support research activities. • Represent the Division at regional and international meetings and events related to research. • Perform any other duties as assigned by the Director of the Centres for Public Health Emergency Management
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
• A Master’s degree in Public Health, Epidemiology, Biostatistics, or a related field from a recognized institution. OR • Bachelor Degree in similar fields of study • A PhD in Public Health or a related field will be an added advantage. • At least seven (7) years for Masters or ten (10) years for Bachelor’s including three (3) years at expert level in conducting, managing, and disseminating public health research, preferably in the areas of infectious disease prevention and control, outbreak response, health security, or health systems strengthening. • Experience in public health research, with a focus on preparedness and response. • Demonstrated knowledge in research design, methods, analysis, and dissemination, using both quantitative and qualitative approaches. • Experience in leading and coordinating multi-country or multi-institutional research projects or networks, involving diverse stakeholders and partners. • Experience in developing and implementing research policies, strategies, and plans that align with organizational goals and priorities. • Experience in managing research grants, contracts, and budgets, ensuring compliance with donor requirements and reporting standards. • Proven ability to lead and manage research projects • Experience in developing and implementing research plans • Experience in managing research projects. • Experience in disseminating research findings. • Experience in building partnerships. • Experience in writing and publishing scientific articles. • Experience in working with international organizations.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to present complex information clearly and persuasively to various audiences. • Proficiency in any of the AU working languages, with preference to English and French, both written and spoken. Knowledge of any other/additional African Union working language is an asset. • Ability to work effectively in a multicultural and multidisciplinary team environment, as well as independently with minimal supervision. • Willingness to travel within Africa and internationally is required. • Strong analytical and problem-solving skills. • Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. • Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Accountable and Complies with Rules
Communicating with Influence
Job Knowledge and information sharing
Drive for Results
Continuous Improvement Orientation
TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The Appointment will be made on a fixed term contract for a period of one (1) year, of which the first three (3) months will be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract may be renewed for a similar period subject to funding availability, satisfactory performance and agreed deliverables.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
LANGUAGES: Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Kiswahili, Portuguese, and Spanish) is mandatory and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
The salary attached to the position is an annual lump-sum of US$ 96,921.34 (P3 Step 5) inclusive of all allowances for internationally recruited staff, and US$ 78,461.08 inclusive of all allowances for locally recruited staff of the African Union Commission.
Applications must be submitted no later than December 6, 2023 11h59 p.m. EAT. -Only candidates who meet all job requirements and are selected for interviews will be contacted. -Consideration will be given only to those candidates who have submitted a fully completed online application with a curriculum vitae (CV), an African passport, and the required academic qualifications, such as Diplomas, Bachelor's degrees, Master's degrees and any relevant certificate in line with the area of expertise. -The African Union is an equal opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. -Candidates from less represented countries within the African Union are strongly encouraged to apply for positions that fit their profiles. These countries include Algeria, Angola, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Comoros, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Namibia, Niger, Sahrawi D.R., Sao Tome and Principe., Seychelles, Somalia and Tunisia.
Requisition ID: 2047