Senior Laboratory Scientist for Molecular Diagnosis (AfCDC)
Application deadline in 1 day: Wednesday 6 Dec 2023 at 21:00 UTCOpen application form
• Respect for Diversity and Team Work • Think Africa Above all
• Transparency and Accountability • Integrity and Impartiality
• Efficiency and Professionalism • Information and Knowledge Shari
Reports to: Head, Division of Laboratory Systems Directorate/Department/Organ: Africa CDC Division : Africa CDC Reference Laboratories Number of Direct Reports: 0 Number of Indirect Reports: 0 Job Grade: P3 Number of Positions: 1 Contract Type: Fixed-Term Location: Addis Ababa
Purpose of Job
The Senior Laboratory Scientist for Molecular Diagnosis is responsible for the technical leadership and management of the molecular diagnosis laboratory at the Africa CDC Reference Laboratories. This includes developing and implementing laboratory protocols, training and mentoring staff, and ensuring the quality of laboratory results. The Senior Laboratory Scientist will also work to support outbreak response and surveillance activities.
This position involves the following main functions that are generally applicable for this category: • Provide support in the preparation and Implement the programmes developed out of the Division’s strategic plan • Ensure effective coordination and implementation at various levels • Prepare and develop reports, budget and work programmes related to the functioning of the Division • Provide support to develop resource mobilization strategy with stakeholders coordination • Manage and supervise employees with regard to organization and performance evaluation, as and when assigned. • Conduct complex analysis and generate accurate reports in a timely manner for the Division and Africa CDC’s internal use. • Liaise with the various Departments/Units of Africa CDC for coordination and alignment purposes This position involves the following main functions that are generally applicable for this category: • Provide support in the preparation and Implement the programmes developed out of the Division’s strategic plan • Ensure effective coordination and implementation at various levels • Prepare and develop reports, budget and work programmes related to the functioning of the Division • Provide support to develop resource mobilization strategy with stakeholders coordination • Manage and supervise employees with regard to organization and performance evaluation, as and when assigned. • Conduct complex analysis and generate accurate reports in a timely manner for the Division and Africa CDC’s internal use. • Liaise with the various Departments/Units of Africa CDC for coordination and alignment purposes • Prepare budgets for the Division in accordance with relevant frameworks. Support the promotion of the activities of the Division including preparing leaflets, guidelines and fact sheets as may be required. • Actively contribute in the development of strategies, policies, programmes and plans • Actively contribute in the development of strategies, policies, programmes and plans
• Develop and implement laboratory protocols for molecular diagnosis. • Responsible for leading and coordinating the molecular diagnosis activities of the Africa CDC Reference Laboratories network, including the development, validation, implementation and quality assurance of molecular diagnostic methods for priority infectious diseases • Provide technical guidance and support to the Africa CDC Regional Collaborating Centers and National Public Health Institutes on molecular diagnosis, as well as conduct research and training on molecular diagnostic techniques and technologies • Train and mentor laboratory staff. • Ensure the quality of laboratory results. • Support outbreak response and surveillance activities. • Stay up-to-date on new molecular diagnostic technologies. • Publish scientific articles and present at conferences.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
• Masters Degree in Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Virology, Biotechnology or a related fields, with at least seven (7) years of relevant work experience in molecular diagnosis of infectious diseases. • OR Bachelor Degree in the above-mentioned fields with ten (10) years of relevant experience. Higher qualification preferably a PhD in Molecular Biology, Microbiology is a plus.Extensive knowledge and experience in molecular diagnostic methods, such as PCR, RT-PCR, qPCR, LAMP, CRISPR, sequencing and genotyping, as well as their applications for disease surveillance, outbreak investigation and response, and epidemiological studies. • Experience in developing, validating, implementing and quality assuring molecular diagnostic protocols and procedures, in accordance with international standards and guidelines. • Experience in leading and managing laboratory teams and projects, including planning, budgeting, monitoring and evaluation. • Experience in conducting and supervising research and training on molecular diagnosis, as well as disseminating research findings through publications and presentations. • Experience with laboratory management. • Experience with outbreak response and surveillance. • Experience with publishing scientific articles and presenting at conferences. • Experience with working in a multi-cultural environment.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work effectively with diverse stakeholders at national, regional and continental levels. • Strong analytical and problem-solving skills. • Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Accountable and Complies with Rules..
Communicating with Influence:
Job Knowledge and information sharing...
Drive for Result ....
Continuous Improvement Orientation:
TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The Appointment will be made on a fixed term contract for a period of one (1) year, of which the first three (3) months will be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract may be renewed for a similar period subject to funding availability, satisfactory performance and agreed deliverables.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
LANGUAGES: Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Kiswahili, Portuguese, and Spanish) is mandatory and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
The salary attached to the position is an annual lump-sum of US$ 96,921.34 (P3 Step 5) inclusive of all allowances for internationally recruited staff, and US$ 78,461.08 inclusive of all allowances for locally recruited staff of the African Union Commission.
Applications must be submitted no later than December 06, 2023 11h59 p.m. EAT. -Only candidates who meet all job requirements and are selected for interviews will be contacted. -Consideration will be given only to those candidates who have submitted a fully completed online application with a curriculum vitae (CV), an African passport, and the required academic qualifications, such as Diplomas, Bachelor's degrees, Master's degrees and any relevant certificate in line with the area of expertise. -The African Union is an equal opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. -Candidates from less represented countries within the African Union are strongly encouraged to apply for positions that fit their profiles. These countries include Algeria, Angola, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Comoros, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Namibia, Niger, Sahrawi D.R., Sao Tome and Principe., Seychelles, Somalia and Tunisia.
Requisition ID: 2041