Senior Finance and Budgeting Officer
The Sr. Finance and Budgeting Officer is responsible for providing budget leadership and support across the GAVI project across Ethiopia, South Sudan, Somalia, and Sudan. They will key start up support to financial management, developing budget forecasts, accounting, and financial reporting systems. The role will also provide key support to the MEAL coordinator in budgetary monitoring, compliance with donor and internal IRC rules and regulations, maintaining cost analytics (to inform estimates of cost of service delivery) and other key functions as required.
Program Budget Management and Monitoring
• Hold knowledge base of donor rules and regulations and advise other team members on financial compliance
• Develop financial management systems for the Gavi project, including reporting templates and monitoring procedures
• Oversee financial management of the project in accordance with donor regulations
• Ensure project expenses are reasonable, allocable, and prudent and spent in accordance with the donor’s rules and regulations
• Create accurate forecasts and manage expenses according to spending plans
• In close collaboration with the Project Director and Deputy Project Director, liaise with partner institutions regarding any deviations or concerns in spending
• Work closely with regional/ global team to ensure all IRC project budget monitoring, payments and booking of expenses by providing monthly budget versus actual reports to budget holders and in country programs
• Regular revisit of Program Budgets to ensure that they address programmatic areas of greatest priority and delivery maximum value for money and high absorption.
• Identify and manage all financial and operational risks in collaboration with relevant country and technical unit staff
• Review financial controls and liaise with relevant country program leads to update policies and procedures as needed
• Build capacity of local partners in budget management as needed
• Lead due diligence of financial capacity of global partners
Program Financial Reporting
• Work with relevant country finance managers, regional staff, health technical unit, and headquarters-based finance staff to ensure accuracy of the financial reports and promptly identify and advise the Deputy Project Director and applicable country program leads on areas of concern.
Program Audit Support
• Ensure GAVI funded program has an audit readiness plan in place and monitor that throughout the period of program. GAVI program is subject to program audit on annual basis.
• Act as point of contact for auditors for financial related matters, addressing auditors’ requests for support documentations, files, policies and procedures clarifications and other matters to ensure a smooth program audit execution.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Gavi Deputy Project Director
Position directly supervises: N/A
Indirect Reporting: Regional and HQ based Finance Staff
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
o Gavi project staff (program, finance, etc.)
o Country and Regional Program grants staff
o Grants Operations and Analytics Team (GOAT)
o AMU Program and Grant Support (PGS) team
o Compliance & Policy (C&P) team
o Finance Department on matters of financial management
o Partner and sub-awardee staff (awards, compliance, due diligence)
● Bachelor’s degree International Affairs, Public Administration, Economics, Business Studies, Accounting, Commerce, or other related fields.
● Certified Public Accountant (CPA) is desired.
● At least 6-8 years of related work experience, preferably for an International Non-Governmental Organization
● Experience managing budget and finance components of complex projects throughout implementation, including compliance, monitoring and reporting processes
● Excellent organizational skills: the ability to work independently and productively in a fast-paced environment
● Excellent interpersonal and communication skills: the ability to successfully and effectively liaise with a variety of people in a multi-cultural environment and work on a virtual team
● Flexible work attitude, hands on work style approach, proactive and demonstrated creativity: the ability to work productively in a team environment and the ability to problem solve creatively with minimal guidance
● English fluency
• Experience with donor-funded multi-country projects
• Prior experience working in a country office or regional office
• Knowledge of GAVI financial reporting and re-budgeting is a plus
● Standard office work environment
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, Equality and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
IRC et les employés de IRC doivent adhérer aux valeurs et principes contenus dans le IRC WAY (normes de conduite professionnelle). Ce sont l’Intégrité, le Service, et la Responsabilité. En conformité avec ces valeurs, IRC opère et fait respecter les politiques sur la protection des bénéficiaires contre l’exploitation et les abus, la protection de l’enfant, le harcèlement sur les lieux de travail, l’intégrité financière, et les représailles.