Rice Fortification Officer
Application deadline 1 year ago: Thursday 13 Jan 2022 at 17:59 UTCOpen application form
Job Title: Rice Fortification Officer
Type of Contract: Service Contract (SC) Level 8
Duty Station (City): Jakarta Country Office
Duration of Employment: 6 (six) months
People in Indonesia suffer from the triple burden of malnutrition, the coexistence of undernutrition, overnutrition and micronutrient deficiencies. Micronutrient deficiency, also called hidden hunger, is acknowledged as a severe public health problem. The high prevalence of anemia and stunting (27.7% in 2019) indicates that high rates of multiple micronutrient deficiencies are highly likely.
Increasing access to and consumption of post-harvest fortified rice is a cost-effective means to address high rates of micronutrient deficiencies. This has high potential in the case of SEMBAKO beneficiaries in Indonesia, who have few resources and limited access to diverse diets to meet their nutrient needs.
WFP plans to support and strengthen the capacity and commitment of government and private sector to increase access and consumption of fortified rice among SEMBAKO social safety net beneficiaries. WFP Indonesia will work in close collaboration and partnership with public and private national and sub-national stakeholders to accomplish this.
Objective of this assignment
The Rice Fortification Officer, reports directly to the Head of the Nutrition Unit, and will work under the strategic and technical guidance from the Deputy Country Director. The Officer is expected to ensure that the WFP Indonesia strategy to scale up post-harvest fortified rice through social safety nets and the retail market is aligned with the Government of Indonesia targets and systems, global evidence and the DSM – WFP Global Partnership.
- In collaboration with the Head of Nutrition, with guidance from the Deputy Country Director expand the WFP Indonesia strategy and mobilize resources to support the scale up of post-harvest fortified rice.
In coordination with the Head of Nutrition represent WFP Indonesia within all DSM/WFP global partnership coordinating, reporting, and planning mechanisms.
Drawing from the expertise and documentation within the DSM – WFP global partnership ensure evidence is well documented and available for dissemination within the Indonesian context to support WFP technical assistance targeting Government and private sector stakeholders. .
- Assess and describe the food use habits in different regions of Indonesia where fortified rice will be made available (for example food consumption habits, food preparation techniques and food storage practices).
- As per the programme framework developed and resourced through the DSM / WFP global partnership, provide strategic guidance and coordinate WFP technical assistance to strengthen the policy and regulatory framework through the national Rice Fortification Technical Working Group. This will include coordination and support as required to facilitate the provision of technical assistance.
- Provide technical assistance to support the start-up, and implementation of the SEMBAKO Rice Fortification pilot, including: identification of target areas, operational guidelines, monitoring and documentation of lessons learned.
- Document programmatic lessons learned to formulate recommendations for scale up and replication of Sembako and retail pilot model drawing from . global, regional and national evidence and studies.
- Identify opportunities and resources for, and coordinate south-south learning and knowledge exchange to enhance capacity within the Government and private sector to scale up post-harvest rice fortification.
Drawing on expertise within the DSM/WFP global partnership and WFP regional advisors, and working in close collaboration with national partners (e.g. National Food and Drug Control Agency – BPOM), coordinate and support provision of technical assistance to inform the development of national standards, and regulatory framework.
- Coordinate and provide technical assistance to support implementation of market analysis study drawing from DSM / WFP global expertise and support.
- In partnership with Government counterparts and private sector, design and support a strategy to increase awareness of the benefits of fortified foods – especially rice.
In close collaboration with WFP regional bureau expertise, facilitate and provide technical assistance to strengthen fortified rice production and quality assurance in support of domestic fortified kernel production and contextually appropriate blending solutions.
- With technical assistance from the WFP regional bureau and/or headquarters, adapt WFP Global Guidance on Quality Control and Quality Assurance (GMP/Good Manufacturing Practices; HACCP/Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point) to the Indonesian context and present to stakeholders.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- The first assignment will be performed 12 months duration with possibility for extension.
- Experience with providing technical assistance to GOI and private sector partners on food fortification (preferably rice)
- Demonstrated expertise on staple food fortification programmes.
- Knowledge of rice fortification technology
- Understanding of staple food markets (preferably rice)
- Experience working with GOI social protection programmes
- Experience working in programmes aimed to address micronutrient deficiencies
- Experience implementing food technology related tools and protocol.
Fluent in Bahasa and English both of verbal and written (level C)
Technical Skills & Knowledge
- Excellent analytical and research skills; Knowledge of data visualization tools is an advantage.
- Demonstrated ability to produce high-quality written outputs in English;
- Proficiency in Windows MS Office (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Good analytical, problem solving, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to convey an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders;
- Ability to participate in open dialogue and value diverse opinions, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment;
- Willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work;
- Ability to work independently in a timely and organized manner;
- Ability to work in a team and multi-task as needed.
Deadline of application submission: 13 January 2022