Application deadline in 17 hours: Tuesday 7 Feb 2023 at 22:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a DRC - National contract. More about DRC - National contracts.
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is an international humanitarian organization implementing relief and development activities in more than 30 countries. DRC is a non-governmental, non-political, and non-religious organization and, in DRC, people’s right to a life with dignity is central to all that we do. DRC has been operating in Myanmar since 2009, responding to humanitarian needs of Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) and conflict-affected populations by providing shelter, NFIs, Economic Recovery, humanitarian mine action and community assistance. The DRC programme is rooted in a strong protection outreach that includes protection monitoring, tailor-made assistance and programmatic integration through humanitarian mine action (HMA) including provision of Mine Risk Education (MRE) and Non-Technical Survey (NTS) in the most contaminated and conflict-prone areas of Myanmar.
To support and strengthen the DRC programme in Myanmar we are looking for highly motivated and capable candidates to fill the position of
Protection Specialist (1 Post)
Duty Station : Kachin State (Either Myitkyina or Bhamo)
Reports to : Protection Project Manager
Direct reports : No direct report but technical supervisor of Team Leaders
Overall purpose of the role:
Responsible for technical capacity building, technical oversight of protection programme staff and partner organizations including local CSOs, ensuring high quality delivery of programs with support of Protection Project Manager-Kachin and Protection Coordinators in Yangon.
Sector responsibilities: Advocacy for the rights of conflict affected communities including displaced people, case management, monitoring, analysis and reporting of rights violations and other protection issues (protection monitoring), information dissemination and awareness-raising, community-based protection, community empowerment including psychosocial support activities and solutions for displaced population.
Geographic S****cope: Northeast Area
This role has an area focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the area. The role contributes to the development of area strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and technical guidance to base operations including direct implementation and implementation of partner organizations.
Program implementation and technical management
- Under the technical guidance of the Protection Project Manager and Protection Coordinators (Yangon), the Protection Specialist will provide technical support to field protection teams on protection monitoring, case management, individual protection assistance, community-based protection, community empowerment and PSS as well as other protection areas as required.
- Provide technical guidance to the Protection Team Leaders, Officers, and Assistants to ensure quality implementation of the protection deliverables according to global Technical Protection standards/guides and country specific Standard Operating Procedures (SOP)
- Conducts regular quality assessments of programming (all protection activities) to ensure that services provided are in accordance with standards and are of high quality
- Identify technical gaps in relation to overall project implementation/protection service delivery and provide recommendations to improve program quality, and support to implement recommendations
- Contribute to the development and adaptation of necessary tools, forms, technical guides and SOPs for DRC protection related activities including but not limited to Protection Monitoring, Case Management, and Community Based Protection activities
- Respond to ad hoc requests for technical support from Kachin Protection team and NSS Protection team (remotely), provide clear guidance and mentoring, especially where gaps are identified
- Delivery of technical trainings (including NSS protection staffs whenever appropriate and feasible) and daily capacity building (on the job mentoring and coaching) of DRC Protection Programme staff, CSO partners, and protection focal points in collaboration with Project Manager and Protection Coordinators.
- Support Protection Team Leaders in implementation of regular supervision and coaching of Protection staffs using DRC supervision and coaching tools including in relate to case management supervision
- Conduct regular audits of databases to ensure accuracy of data and maintenance of tools as well as identify gaps related to ensuring reach of diverse groups of persons or concern/reach of most at risk
- Ensure mainstreaming of protection principles and age, gender, and diversity aspects into all of DRC’s work including through provision of trainings to DRC protection and non-protection staff and partner organizations on Protection, Age, Gender and Diversity and support for implementation of PAGD mainstreaming action plans
- Collaborate with other sectors to ensure integration, synergy, and identify opportunities for collaboration/better coordination between teams
Partnerships and Localization
- Support/contribute to develop and strengthen relationships with networks, other relevant stakeholders and partners in Kachin. Actively explore and identify potential partners in line with localization strategy in coordination with Partnership team.
- Support Project Manager in coordination with local and I/NGOs to expand and strengthen DRC’s partner networks, as well as support in roll out of Protection activities with partners.
- Lead in identifying and responding to capacity building needs of partners (technical training, coaching and mentoring) in coordination with Protection Team Leaders, Officer, and other relevant DRC Sectors.
- Under the technical guidance of the Protection Project Manager and Protection Coordinators (Yangon), support Protection Team Leaders to help partner on project design and development of Sub-Grant Agreements.
- Conduct regular quality assessment of the partner programming to ensure that services provided are according to standards and are of high quality. Identify gaps in relation to the overall implementation and provide recommendations to improve program quality.
- Support Partners develop and revise necessary tools, forms, technical guides and SOP for protection related activities in coordination with the Partner’s Focal under technical guidance of Protection Project Manager and Protection Coordinators (Yangon).
Protection Information management and reporting
- Providing support on the monitoring, evaluation and learning of protection services, in collaboration with MEAL and Protection teams under the guidance of the Protection Project Manager
- Support the Project Manager in ensuring safety and confidentiality of the collected information in accordance with DRC Code of Conduct, Protection Sector Information Sharing Protocol and relevant DRC guidelines
- Support Project Manager in analysis of protection information data using Power BI
- Lead the development and review of high-quality protection monitoring reporting in collaboration with the protection team leaders, officers an assistants
Coordination and representation
- Represent DRC at relevant coordination meetings
- Actively participate in internal coordination meeting
- Share relevant project information with stakeholders and partners
*Perform any other relevant tasks as requested by Line Manager/ or Area Manager.
Experience and technical competencies:
- 3 years of practical experience in the Protection field working for an INGO/NGO.
- Strong demonstrated technical skills and knowledge in protection monitoring, partnership, case management, protection information dissemination, psychosocial support and/or community-based protection.
- Excellent writing and editing skills for external audiences (including governments and donors)
- Strong experience in producing high-quality technical materials (training material, programme tools, proposals, strategic documents etc.) and facilitating various trainings face to face and remotely.
- Excellent training skills, particularly on concepts of protection, human rights, protection information management, case management, psychosocial support, etc.
- Experience working with Monitoring and Evaluation
- Advance IT knowledge (hardware and software, MS Word, Excel, Power Point, remote management and capacity building tools)
Education: (include certificates, licenses, etc.)
- University degree or Advanced University degree (Master’s degree) in relevant field (e.g., political science, human rights, humanitarian project management, social work, international law, international development, etc).
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Full professional proficiency in English
- Full professional proficiency in Myanmar
Key stakeholders: (internal and external)
- HMA sector
- Economic Recovery sector
- Senior Management Team
- Protection partners in area of operation and nationally
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. "
- Starting date of employment: ASAP.
- Contract length: Until 31 Dec 2023 includes a probationary period of 3 months. Renewables depend on both funding and performance.
- Salary: Competitive salary according to DRC Myanmar salary scale.
This position is open for Myanmar National only. DRC strongly advocates for equal opportunity and promotes a diversified and inspiring working environment. Therefore, qualified candidates of ethnic minorities and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applicants who meet the above-mentioned requirements should apply by submitting their applications in English (consisting of Cover Letter and CV of no more than 4 pages, including contact details of 3 professional references) and CV only applications will not be considered. Apply button.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for a written test in English and an interview.
- After the closing date, applications are not to be considered. Please note that due to the urgency of this position, applications will be reviewed on an on-going basis and DRC reserves the right to initiate the recruitment process before the deadline for applications.