Project Management Support Associate
Application deadline in 15 days: Sunday 12 Dec 2021 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a LICA-6 contract. This kind of contract is known as Local Individual Contractor Agreements. It is normally only for nationals. It's an external contract. It usually requires 6 years of experience, depending on education. More about LICA-6 contracts.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information - Pakistan
UNOPS Pakistan (Project Office) is part of the Bangladesh Multi Country Office in the Asia Region. UNOPS commenced operations in Pakistan in 1999 and significantly up-scaled activities from 2005 onwards to support populations affected by and vulnerable to earthquakes. In 2010, UNOPS opened a permanent office in Islamabad to support the Government of Pakistan and other partners to undertake humanitarian and reconstruction services, following the most devastating flood in the nation’s history.
UNOPS Pakistan has been implementing projects in the areas of early recovery and reconstruction of community infrastructure, project management, monitoring and evaluation, community development, fund management, human resources management, procurement and infrastructure design and implementation.
Supported strategically by a regional operational hub and UNOPS headquarters in Copenhagen and within the overarching framework of the ONE UN Programme, UNOPS Pakistan continues to deliver projects across the country under its core delivery practices of sustainable infrastructure, sustainable procurement, and sustainable project management.
With a steady growth of the project portfolio in recent years and a new strategic direction, UUNOPS in Pakistan is currently implementing projects in the following thematic areas: Green and Clean energy; Rule of Law; Health Procurement; and HR services.
Background Information - Job-specific
The WASH KP and Sindh project Funded by USAID, the project “Improved Access to Water and Sanitation Services in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Sindh” was initiated in September 2021. The project aims at improving access to clean and safe water, hygiene and sanitation and increasing the resilience of communities affected by floods in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Sindh provinces. It is expected to last 5 years, until December 2026.
The project is articulated around three main components:
- Improve quality and reach of water supply services and increase access to community and household sanitation (Infrastructure);
- Provide more effective, gender-responsive and transparent WASH services through enhanced capacity of government and communities (Capacity Building);
- Reduce waterborne diseases and improve resilience of communities through improved community and household hygiene practices (Behavioral Change).
The project will start with a participatory needs assessment phase in coordination with all its stakeholders in view of identifying priorities and precising the specific outputs under each of the three components of the project.
Among the first positions to be hired, two Project Management Support Associates, one based in Peshawar and one based in Karachi, will be core members of the new project team
Under the supervision of the Team Leader (the Water Engineer, the Monitoring & Evaluation Senior Officer, or the Capacity Building Senior Officer) and/or the (Deputy) Project Manager, the Project Management Support Associate ensures the smooth and diligent management of the administrative, HR and financial activities of the project team.
The Project Management Support Associate is an essential link between the project team and the Country Office Support Services, with whom s/he collaborates closely on a daily basis and from whom s/he seeks guidance and/or support whenever necessary.
The Project Management Support Associate moreover ensures that all policies, procedures and guidelines related to Administration, HR and Finance are followed, and becomes a reference person within the project team, guiding teammates on the best way to achieve their objectives within the workframe of those policies, procedures and guidelines.
1.Administration - Manage information flows and ensure adequate record of documents as per UNOPS policies, project’s filing and naming conventions. Support other team members on project filing and naming requirements and monitor compliance; - Assist in developing effective systems and procedures to improve and streamline work and communication flow within the team in order to meet the project requirements; - Ensure compliance of the project team to all UNOPS administrative, HR and financial policies, procedures and guidelines (in particular the Financial Regulations and Rules); - Summarize and/or highlight information for general administrative matters, make research and compile material for briefing and presentations on administrative matters; - Document any exception to the provisions of the administrative or financial policies, procedures and guidelines, record it in a Note to File (NTF) and submit it for approval to the relevant Manager; - Supervise Drivers and Office Clerks (assign yearly objectives, assign weekly tasks, coach and mentor, manage leaves, manage issues, review performance, etc.); - Manage incoming and outgoing mails and shipments; - Attend phone calls and receive visitors, filter and redirect queries with sensitiveness, tact and discretion; - Organise meetings and follow up on guests attendance, access to the premises, etc. - Draft highly accurate minutes of meetings, synthesize discussions and decisions taken and submit drafts to supervisors within 48 hours of the meeting; , - Draft correspondence, short reports, plans, schedules, executive summaries, talking points, etc. as required (including on matters of confidential nature); - Manage premises (manage buildings’ lease contracts, manage utilities contracts, organize cleaning and maintenance, ensure supply of stationery items and cleaning products, plan and supervise minor works, coordinate resolution of IT and other issues with the Support Services Department and external services providers, etc.); - Manage fleet (plan and supervise cleaning and maintenance of the vehicles, review log books, manage external vehicles lease contracts, etc.); - Manage project’s assets (purchase, recording, tagging, repairs, depreciation calculation, recovery, disposal, etc.) and ensure safety of equipment and property; - Act as a Travel Focal Point and coordinate the organisation of travels and field trips with the Security Assistant and the Admin Support Services, obtain NOCs from the Home Department and the MOFA, book flights and accommodation for international staff, advise local staff on UNDSS-approved accommodation, calculate travel costs, process Travel Authorisations (TAs) and Travel Expenses Claims (TECs), arrange armoured vehicles and police escorts, assist colleagues in the submission of their travel security clearance requests (TRIPs), etc. - Coordinate the organization of events with the Security Officer and the Support Services (prepare and manage guest lists, draft agendas, manage invitations, book venues, inspect and set up as per events’ needs, arrange catering services, liaise with IT Support Services for teleconferencing, manage external services providers, manage attendance and allowances, etc.); - Contribute to the identification and sharing of project activities’ lessons learning and best practices.
2.Human resources - Support the PM/DPM in the project’s recruitment processes; - Manage the temporary assignments of consultants (support in the preparation of TORs with PM/DPM, raise requests in OneUNOPS ERP, monitor time sheets, etc.); - In consultation with HR Support Services, manage third-party HR contracts (coordinate with UNOPS’ external HR services provider, participate in recruitment processes, monitor time sheets, etc.); - Organize and coordinate the induction process of regular staff, consultants or third-party contract holders joining the project team; - Liaise with the HR Support Services regarding the administration of the project team members’ benefits and entitlements, leaves and absences, performance management cycle and other HR processes;
3. Finance - Oversee petty-cash purchases and manage petty cash account; - Assist the PM/DPM in preparing and regularly reviewing the cash flow forecast; - Support PM and DPM in monitoring project budget and financial expenditures in line with the forecast and plans; - Raise purchase orders (POs) in OneUNOPS ERP and review them when necessary, monitor the adequation of the project cash flow with the financial commitments; - Raise requisitions in OneUNOPS ERP; - Review and process invoices, interim payment certificates (IPCs) and financial claims in OneUNOPS ERP; - Maintain payment tracking sheets for complex contracts; ; - Maintain archives related to the project financial activities, as per the project legal agreements and UNOPS Financial Rules and Regulations, ensure the organized record of all financial supporting documents for audit and review processes; - Monitor the accuracy of the financial data entered in OneUNOPS ERP, advise the PM/DPM on potential issues, corrective action and revised processes; - Contribute to the identification and assessment of financial risks and assist in the implementation of mitigation measures in accordance with the risk management strategy; - Liaise closely with the Finance Support Services (respond timely to their queries, provide them explanations and supporting documents, etc.); - Assist the Support Services during audits (provide justificative documents, draft responses to audit queries, etc.).
Procurement - Conduct small procurement processes (shopping cases and requests for quotations) under the guidance of the Procurement Associate; - Raise Call of Orders in OneUNOPS ERP for all administration, ICT and HR activities;
5.Contract management - Manage small contracts related to premises and fleet (e.g. lease agreement, LTA for security services, LTA for vehicles lease, small maintenance contracts).
6. Support to project closure - Support the operational closure of the project (contribute to closure plan, contribute to lessons learned report, participate in final project audit, dispose/transfer project assets, participate in final budget revisions, draft no-objections and project acceptance letters, review and complete the archive of documents in OneUNOPS and the project teamdrive, contribute to the project team’s handover notes, etc.); - Support the financial closure of the project (ensure all invoices have been paid, close last transactions, clear all requests for payments (RFPs), review receipts for goods and services and match them with RFPs, close remaining purchase orders, assist Finance Support Services in verifying that all direct and indirect costs have been recovered and in clearing balances, etc.).
Impact of Results The Project Management Support Associate provides solid support to the project team in all the administrative, HR, and financial activities of the project and ensures that all relevant policies, procedures and guidelines are followed, thereby maximizing the effectiveness and efficiency of those activities and minimizing the risks of non-compliance. S/he is moreover an essential connection between the project team and the Country Office Support Services, whose resources s/he contributes to mobilize to support the project, thereby ensuring a constructive and efficient collaboration between teams in support of the project’s objectives.
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others.Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles. Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role). Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries. Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements. Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving. Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Bachelor Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Human Resources Management, Finance or equivalent.
- A Master Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Human resources Management, Finance or equivalent is an asset.
Experience: - A minimum of 2 years of relevant and progressive professional experience in the field of Finance, Administration, Human Resources Management and Procurement. - Previous experience in a project-based organisation or environment is an asset. - Previous experience with UNOPS and knowledge of UNOPS policies, procedures and tools is an asset. - Demonstrated experience of handling Enterprise Resources Planning (ERP) systems is an asset. - Working knowledge of Google Workspace is an asset.
Language Requirements: - Full professional knowledge of English is essential. - Fluency in Urdu and one or more Pakistan regional languages (in particular Pashto or Sindhi) is an advantage.
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: Individual Contract Agreement Agreement (ICA)
- Contract level: Local ICA Support (L-ICA 5)
- Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
*It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Mobility: One position will be based in Peshawar and the other in Karachi. Candidates are expected to travel occasionally within the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Sindh provinces (respectively) for short field trips, as well as between Peshawar, Karachi and Islamabad.
Applicants are required to submit a Cover Letter with their applications. Applications without Cover Letter shall be discarded.
In line with UNOPS’ global gender parity strategy, female candidates are especially encouraged to apply.*