Programme Officer (Generation Unlimited), NO2, Fixed term, São Paulo, Brazil
Application deadline 5 months ago: Monday 22 Aug 2022 at 02:55 UTCOpen application form
This is a NO-2 contract. This kind of contract is known as National Professional Officers. It is normally only for nationals. It's a staff contract. More about NO-2 contracts.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Talent
Job organizational context:
Under the guidance of the supervisor, provide professional technical assistance and support for programme
design, planning and implementation, management and evaluation of programme/project activities, data analysis and progress reporting, in support of programme goals and objectives.
Key functions, accountabilities, and related duties/tasks:
Within the delegated authority and under the given organizational set-up, the incumbent may be assigned the primarily, shared, or contributory accountabilities for all or part of the following areas of major duties and key end-results.
Knowledge Management for Programmes
- Contribute to country programmes by supporting knowledge management through providing professional assistance in data collection and analysis, complete and accurate reporting as well as participation in the Programme Knowledge Network system of “lessons learned" and other corporate-level databases.
- Participate in information exchange with partners as well as in the development of training and orientation material by providing professional technical assistance. Participate in the preparation of, and making professional contribution to, the preparation of programme reports required for the management.
2. Programme Development and Management
- Provide professional technical assistance in the preparation of the Situation Analysis for programme development and management by collecting and analyzing data and monitoring implementation progress. Contribute to the identification of critical intervention points and measures by administering a consistent and transparent monitoring system; analyse country level socio-political-economic trends and their implications for ongoing programmes and projects. Draft or prepare programme work plans as required. Propose adjustments/changes in work plans. Propose program recommendations for inclusion in formal programme documentation, and new approaches, methods and practices for supervisor.
3. Optimum Use Of Program Funds
- Monitors programme implementation progress and compliance. Monitors the allocation and disbursement of programme funds, making sure that funds are properly coordinated, monitored, and liquidated. Takes appropriate recommendations or actions to optimize use of programme funds.
4. Programme Monitoring and Evaluations
- Undertakes field visits to monitor and assess programme implementation and decides on required corrective action.
- Collaborate with partners to carry out a rigorous and transparent approach to evaluation and participate in the major programme evaluation exercises in consultation with the Representative, the Operations Officer, the Evaluation Officer, and others to improve efficiency and quality of programme delivery. Participate in annual sector review meetings with government counterparts. Collaborate and prepare annual program status reports in a timely manner, as required.
5. Rights-Based and Results-Based Programme Management Approach
- Support a rights-based programmes approach in the formulation of programme goals and objectives and development of strategies and implementation frameworks. Collaborate with partners and assist in the strengthening of quality child rights-based programmes through consistent and effective planning, design, implementation, monitoring and/or evaluation of programmes and projects. Contribute to coherence, synergy and added value to the programming planning and design processes using a results-based management approach to programme planning and design.
- Provide professional technical assistance in preparing viable recommendations on project implementation, alternative approaches, new initiatives, and optimal utilization of resources that contribute effectively to the fulfilment of the rights of children and women.
6. N****ational and Local Capacity Building/Sustainability
- Provide government authorities with technical assistance and support in planning and organizing training programmes for the purpose of capacity building and programme sustainability.
- Promote and maintain the building and reinforcing of the commitment and institutional capacities of the national and local partners by identifying these partners and partnerships and providing continuous support, coordination, and collaboration for sustainability.
- Collaborate with the community-based initiatives to improve their capacity and potentialize their contribution to innovate in the creation of opportunities for adolescent at the local level.
7. R****ights Perspective and Advocacy at the National, Community and Family Levels
- Analyze programme related issues and policies from a children's and women's rights perspective and advocacy at the community and family levels for elevating credibility in national policy debates. Promote the organization goals of UNICEF through active advocacy and communication.
8. P****artnership, Coordination and Collaboration.
- Develop his/her duties in close collaboration with the colleague of the 1MiO initiative and UNICEF Brazil ADAP team and Education team.
- Facilitate partnership and collaboration with internal and external counterparts, including those of the UN and national partners, in order to improve the ability to collect and disseminate development data and information, exchange information on programme/project status and implementation and movement/distribution of supplies. Establish and maintain linkage to the Regional Programme Knowledge Network to ensure the availability of current and accurate programme data.
- Collaborate with the Operations Section to establish and maintain sound internal controls supportive of programming endeavours and to coordinate financial and supply management requirements and accountability. Approve allocation and disbursement of funds ensuring they are properly coordinated, monitored and liquidated in accordance with the programme budget allotments (PBA).
- Maintain close collaboration with Regional Advisers and HQ Officers for overall coordination.
- Provide professional support in provision of technical advice, negotiation, advocacy and promotion of area/country level goals, leading to agreement on practicable and priority actions to be supported by the UNICEF programme.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
A university degree in one of the following fields is required: Social Sciences, International Relations, Government, Public Administration, Public Policy, Social Policy, Social Development, Community Development, or another relevant technical field. A master’s degree and/or a post-graduation certificate in the related areas mentioned above is considered as an asset.
- A minimum of two years of relevant professional work experience is required.
- Relevant experience must be in working with adolescents and youth community projects; public policies for youth and adolescents; innovative initiatives related to adolescents and youth on life skills, professionalization, job market and entrepreneurship.
- Experience in use of social media and online methodologies for mobilization and training. Experience in the development and implementation of online platforms for and with adolescents.
- Background/familiarity with emergency is considered as an asset.
Fluency in Portuguese is required. Proficiency in English is required.
For every Child, you demonstrate...
The UNICEF values are Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and the following competencies are required for the post: Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (1), Works Collaboratively with others (1), Builds and Maintains Partnerships (1), Innovates and Embraces Change (1), Thinks and Acts Strategically (1), Drive to achieve impactful results (1), and Manages ambiguity and complexity (1).
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Candidates must be Brazilian citizens.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
All candidates who wish to apply to this Vacancy Announcement are requested to prepare and submit their application in English.