Programme Associate (School Feeding) SC6, Damascus
Application deadline in 7 days: Saturday 15 May 2021
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
All applications should be received no later than 15 May, 2021.
CONTRACT TYPE AND DURATION
This position is open to Syrian or Syrian/Palestinian nationals, or holders of a work permit and residency in Syria.
Contract Type: Service Contract (SC6)
Duration: 12 months
Duty Station: Damascus Field Office
Number of required employees: 1
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. In Syria, WFP provides food assistance to more than 4.6 million people each month. This includes families who require emergency assistance when affected by conflict and displacement and also those who need help to improve their nutrition and food security. WFP supports children across Syria with healthy meals and snacks at school, mothers with nutritious diets, and families and communities with sustainable livelihood projects.
The programme associate will work in the Nutrition/School Feeding Unit and in collaboration with the other units of WFP
This post is based in Damascus and follow under the direct supervision of the School Feeding Programme and Policy Officer in Damascus.
The programme associate will provide effective specialized support and technical analyses to policy and programme activities that effectively meet the needs. This entails working closely with the school feeding team leader to assist in the development and implementation of school feeding activites and support in the coordination and follow up with internal and external stakeholders to ensure timely and quality implementation and reporting of the school feeding activities.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Within delegated authority, the programme associate will be responsible for the following duties: (These duties are generic and thus are not all-inclusive nor are all duties carried out by all proramme associates)
- Provide technical support and assistance in the development and implementation of the various school feeding activities and processes supporting its alignment with WFP’s policies and guidelines.
- Liaise with internal counterparts (WFP focal points in the field offices and other units) to support effective collaboration, implementation and monitoring of ongoing project activities
- Collect and analyse data on programme implementation,to identify emerging trends/gaps aimed at improving programme implementation and informing future planning.
- Support head of section in the timely management of programme resources
- Manage programmatic updates through specific databases/ platforms to ensure information is accurate, organised, and available for others to access. Document and report on best practices and lessons learned.
- Support Coordination and communication with cooperating partners, UN agencies, INGOs and government institutions to ensure efficient delivery of school feeding activities.
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff, cooperating partners and national government within the scope of school feeding programme.
- Act as a point of contact for resolution of operational queries and problems related to the different activities of school feeding.
- Perform other tasks and duties as required.
- Support in the development and review of Field Level Agreements for school feeding activities.
- Organise and undertake field missions to view implementation of activities and inspect and ensure compliance with WFP’s quality standards.
- Assist in conducting coordination meetings and programme review meetings.
- Support the monitoring of the programme, in coordination with M&E, to cater to arising findings and required corrective measures, inaddition to acting as a focal point for school feeding data entry within the corporate systems.
- Assist in information management and monthly reporting on programmatic data to adhere to reporting requirements including SPR and sitrep, among others. (Reports may be needed on a weekly or need-basis)
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education and post secondary certificate is required.
Experience: Minimum 5 years of relevant working experience in humanitarian assistance, programming or planning.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in Arabic and in English.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfil the needs of internal and external partners.
Capability Name Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level Programme Lifecycle & Food Assistance Demonstrates ability to identify key variables and contextual factors that affect food assistance problems and programmes throughout the lifecycle to inform quality programme design or re-design. Transfer Modalities (Food, Cash, Vouchers) Demonstrates ability to implement, under guidance, food assistance programmes deploying the full range of transfer modalities with an understanding of basic principles guiding modality selection and implementation. Broad Knowledge of Specialized Areas Understands basic technical concepts and data and their relevance to food assistance programmes. Emergency Programming Displays capacity to provide inputs into the development, implementation and realignment of high quality emergency programmes. Strategic Policy Engagement w/Government Understands and applies basic principles of engagement with government counterparts at the national or local level.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Please upload your professional CV in English in PDF format making sure to include the following in terms of “Experience”:
- Company/Organization name and scope of work of the organization
- Exact Position Title
- Contract type: part-time, full-time, volunteer, consultant, or freelancer
- Start and End date of Employment for each position: From (dd/mm/yyyy) to (dd/mm/yyyy)
- Responsibilities: To mention the main responsibilities that highlight your gained skills and experience
- A proof of your experience will be required in the final stage of recruitment.
Only shortlisted candidates will be invited to the next stage of the selection process. Candidates must get an auto confirmation email once application is submitted.
HOW TO APPLY
If any of the below links do not work by clicking on it, please copy and paste it in the browser address bar:
Qualified female applicants are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.