Newcomer Youth Summer Academy Operations Coordinator
Job Overview/Summary: The Newcomer Youth Summer Academy (NYSA) is a five-week program focusing on preparing newly arrived immigrant youth to succeed at their grade level in the New York City public school system. Up to 130 students ages 5 – 21 from over 20 countries will participate in academic, creative arts, physical education, and social emotional learning classes. Field Trips are held on Fridays.
The Operations Coordinator will play a key role in the administration of the Newcomer Youth Summer Academy, overseeing daily operations as well as supervising the Operations Team. The Operations Coordinator will also provide supervision & task management support to Peer Mentors, and will take the lead on logistics before, during, and after the program as it relates to procurement, special events, arrival and dismissal, student transportation, and meals.
Position Term: May 1, 2022-August 31, 2022
· Prior and post Academy: 18 hours/week (days flexible)
· Move-in & Training: July 5 – July 8, 8AM-5PM
· Program: July 11 – August 12, 8AM-4PM
· Participate in NYSA planning meetings May-June, and attend administrative meetings over the course of the Academy
· In coordination with Dean of Student Support, conduct interviews and finalize hiring for Peer Mentors
· Conduct inventory of NYSA supplies, organize & lead procurement of Academy materials pre-program
· Prepare and oversee move-in to Academy location prior to the start of the program
· Along with other administrative staff, plan, prepare, and facilitate NYSA 2022 All Staff trainings
· Plan and lead logistics of Whole School Community Events and field trips; including staff communications, coordination, purchasing and travel
· Facilitate student arrival and dismissal, following policies and procedures
· Maintain supply inventories during the Academy
· Prepare purchase vouchers and process receipts
· Liaise with school staff regarding all student meals & contracts for student breakfast/lunch
· Plan and lead logistics for special events including graduation or donor visits
· Organize Metro Card procurement, distribution, and tracking
· Provide technological support to instructional staff and students, including managing and securing all IRC devices as well as liaising with school staff regarding Department of Education devices (smartboards, projectors, printers, copiers etc.)
· Supervisory Responsibilities
· Oversee and manage the day-to-day roles & responsibilities of Operations Associate & Operations Intern
· In coordination with instructional staff, provide support, guidance, & feedback to Peer Mentors. Organize weekly meetings for Peer Mentors & Operational staff
· Prepare and oversee move out from Academy location to IRC office
· Conduct inventory & organization of supplies for 2022 Fall Programs
· Assist Dean of Student Support with NYC DOE student school enrollments for recently arrived families
· Other related duties as assigned
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Education & Learning Manager Position directly supervises: Operations Associate, Operations Intern, Peer Mentors
Indirect Reporting: N/A Other Internal and/or external contacts: Other Academy Admin Staff (Dean of Student Support, Dean of Instruction)
· Highly organized systems thinker
· Undergraduate degree, preferably with a concentration in Social Work, Sociology, Psychology, Education or Business Operations
· Experience working with youth and/or immigrant populations
· Strong interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills
· Cross-cultural or overseas experience preferred
· High Proficiency with G Suite and Microsoft computer applications and internet research
· Close attention to detail, ability to quickly adapt to new technological systems
· Ability to take initiative and problem-solve effectively in high stress and fast-paced situations
· Ability to work independently and as part of a team
· Fluency in written and spoken English required. Second language proficiency in relevant language highly desirable (including Spanish, French, Pashto, Fulani, Wolof, Dari, Farsi, Arabic, Russian, Ukrainian, Mandingo, Haitian Creole, Nepali, Garifuna, Mam, Tigrinya)
Working Environment: The Academy takes place in a centrally located New York City school (TBD). The Operations Coordinator also accompanies students on weekly field trips within New York City.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires candidates who are selected for interview to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for this position.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.