National Expert – Institution, Governance, Policy and Investment
Application deadline 8 months ago: Tuesday 5 Apr 2022 at 21:59 UTCOpen application form
FAO Representative in Madagascar, to Comoros, Mauritius and Seychelles
The Government of the Republic of Mauritius (GoM) plans to bring the sector back from the brink of collapse and capitalize on its unique island characteristic as well as on the opportunities presented from rising demand for Mauritian tea. It is within this framework that the Ministry of Agro-Industry and Food Security (MAIFS) requested FAO to undertake a study to identify the drivers which led the tea industry into decline and what dynamic transformative actions are needed to reverse this trend. The report recommended a holistic approach from bush to cup for a successful transformation of the tea sector, which includes a range of interventions to address the systemic challenges facing the tea industry and subsequently transform the tea sector. The GoM has requested technical assistance. FAO has responded positively to the request through the provision of a Technical Cooperation Project (TCP) to support local capacity and help the local stakeholders organized themselves to achieve the transformation.
Under the direct managerial and administrative leadership of the FAO Representative in Madagascar as the Budget Holder, technical guidance of the Tea Expert (TCDC), overall guidance of the Lead Technical Officer (LTO) and in close collaboration with the , National Agricultural Product Regulatory Office (NAPRO), the Food and Agricultural Research and Extension Institute (FAREI) and Ministry of Agro-Industry and Food Security (MAIFS).
Policy and Governance
Tasks and responsibilities
The national consultant will undertake the following activities to provide technical and functional support to the project “Transformation of the tea sector – TCP/ TCP/MAR/3804”.
- Develop a work plan for the consultancy including timeframes for regular updates to the project’s LTO and the Tea Expert.
- Conduct field visits and stakeholder consultations to appreciate the extent of the issues
Institution and Governance
- In close collaboration with the NAPRO, the Tea Expert (TCDC) and the national expert (institution and MAIFS, Small Farmers Welfare fund, , Forestry Department and FAREI, undertake a need and gap assessment of relevant tea sector institutions/tea eco-system
- Design an institutional framework with specific mandate for the tea sector (growth and development in the tea sector, regulate the quality control of inputs and made tea and promote, regulate, and support the sustainable management of the tea sector) in collaboration and in consultation with MAIFS, NAPRO and key stakeholders for consideration and approbation by the government
- Assess the organizational human capacity of NAPRO and other tea related institutions and propose organizational human resource capacity needed for effective coordination and support the transformation of the tea sector
- Analyse budgetary implications (if any) of the proposed organizational human resource capacity (structure);
Policy and Strategic Development and Investment Plan
- In consultation with the Government and FAO Mauritius conduct a multi-stakeholders’ consultations in collaboration MAIFS and NAPRO for policy design and strategy tea development plan
- Draft a national tea policy for submission to MAIFS for consideration and approbation
- Design a tea sector transformation and national action plan for scaling up investment in tea production for submission to MAIFS for consideration and approbation
- Develop climate-proof tea production strategy for the tea sector
- Formulate a strategic plan in collaboration of key stakeholders to incentivize youth to join the tea production and submission to government for endorsement
- Formulate an investment plan to develop 600 arpent of land
- Development of the Climate proofing strategy and greening of the production
- Perform other related duties related with the project when required
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in any agricultural related field
- At least 15 years professional experience in agricultural development
- Experiences on developing agriculture Institutional Framework and drafting and implementation of agriculture related sectoral development programs
- Working knowledge of English and French
- Nationality of Mauritius or resident in the country with a regular work permit.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Strong administrative and organisational skills,
- Computer literacy
- Good English technical report writing skills.
- Ability to provide team leadership and motivation
- Ability to work independently, with minimum supervision
- Good analytical and writing skills
- Good understanding of the Mauritian agriculture context