Medical Laboratory Technician
Application deadline in 4 days: Wednesday 12 May 2021
This is a UNV International Specialist contract. This kind of contract is known as International UN Volunteer. It is normally internationally recruited only. More about UNV International Specialist contracts.
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of task
Under the overall direction of the MINUSCA Medical Officer/ Chief Medical Officer, the UNV Laboratory Technician will perform the following tasks:
Provide technical support to the Medical Officer:
• Manages the UNOE laboratory to ensure smooth operation of the day-to-day functions.
• Regularly maintains all laboratory equipment following the technical specifications of the manufacturers of the equipment.
• Provides fast and efficient resolution for all problems related to laboratory performance.
• Ensures proper reporting of problems to the manufactures' customer service.
• Ensures effective communication and coordination with maintenance technicians and prompt facilitation of an on-site service if needed.
• Ensures safe handling of bio-hazardous materials in compliance with international standards and practices.
• Draws blood samples applying international sterilization and bio safety standards.
• Conducts various tests.
• Supports Medical Doctors, Nurses and other medical personnel.
• Carries out accurate blood tests for complete blood count – Hematology, clinical chemistry and serology etc. and also handles tests for urinalysis, stool parasitology providing results to the doctor for further action.
• Ensures cleanliness of all glassware, work counters and other apparatus.
• Collects and labels urine, stool and sputum samples for different tests following international bio safety standards.
• Performs all laboratory tests as requested by the Medical Doctor in a prompt and professional manner.
• Autoclaves and sterilizes instruments and containers following international standards of bio safety.
• Assists in organization and implementation of health promotion/monitoring program.
• Performs diagnostic and screening laboratory tests using the available equipment and instruments.
• Releases reports of tests to the Medical Doctor in a timely manner ensuring confidentiality.
• In close coordination with the Medical Doctors, assists with voluntary confidential counselling and testing (VCCT) program, following international standards and guidelines.
• Ensures that results for patients using VCCT services are managed in a confidential and timely manner.
• Ensures appropriate disposal of hazardous material following international bio safety standards in coordination with the Medical Doctor, Nurses and Pharmacist.
Inventory and Administration:
• Maintains records and inventory.
• Ensures proper management of agents’ stock; oversees and ensures an inventory of laboratory supplies are replenished.
• Keeps records of all work done in the laboratory and provides statistical reports in regard to laboratory activities.
• Compiles on a monthly basis a report on all tests done including inventory of laboratory stock, chemical and reagents to ensure adequate supplies at all times.
• Periodically maintains the number of all patients examined.
• Is responsible for organizing and supervising GS staff.
• Prepares laboratory SOPs, contributes to other Medical Service Section SOPs as needed.
• Perform other duties as deemed necessary by the CMO or designated authority.
Required degree level:
Education - Additional Comments:
Degree level: Medical Laboratory Technician Diploma or University degree in the relevant medical area is required. National Registration and License are essential.
Type of Degree: A fully registered Medical Laboratory Technician a Diploma or University degree in the relevant medical area is required.
Years of work experience: At least 5 to 8 years of progressively responsible experience in medical matters. Hands-on experience, particularly in support of peacekeeping or a related field mission is desirable. The minimum years of relevant experience is reduced to 3 to 5 years for candidates who possess a first level university degree.
- Ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate orally effectively;
- Proficiency in MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint);
- Knowledge of electronic medical records is desirable;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team of international and national personnel.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Working Knowledge
- French(Mandatory), Level - Working Knowledge
Area of expertise:
Medical laboratory testing, Healthcare administration, Inventory, asset and warehouse management
Area of expertise details:
Knowledge of electronic medical records is desirable.
Adaptability and Flexibility, Building Trust, Client Orientation, Communication, Judgement and Decision-making, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Self-Management, Technological Awareness, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 12-05-2021