Application deadline in 3 days: Tuesday 11 May 2021
This is a UNV International Specialist contract. This kind of contract is known as International UN Volunteer. It is normally internationally recruited only. More about UNV International Specialist contracts.
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of task
Within the terms of the organization’s delegated authority, and under the direct supervision of the MINUSCA Medical Officer/Chief Medical Section, the UN Volunteer Medical Doctor will be responsible for:
· Attending the MINUSCA Medical Clinic/satellite clinics on a full time basis;
· Daily medical consultations of MINUSCA personnel (UN civilian personnel, national and international Contractors, uniformed personnel);
· Overseeing the work of all the other staff in the clinic (doctors, nurses and drivers);
· Being on call during and outside office hours, to observe and treat emergencies in the medical clinic or in their accommodation;
· Maintaining the medical preparedness of the clinic to respond to emergency conditions;
· Responding to emergency treatment due to trauma; conducting triage to prioritize emergency treatment;
· Maintaining medication and medical supply stock through timely requests to the mission pharmacist;
· Providing vaccinations for all MINUSCA staff;
· Conducting health education and sensitization on health topics, including HIV/AIDS;
· Arranging consultation with specialists in mission area or outside CAR for UN staff, when required;
· Establishing good relations with reliable hospitals and other private medical facilities;
· Maintaining emergency medical supplies and equipment to be used in case of emergency situations;
· Conducting entry and periodic medical examinations for United Nations staff members;
· Maintaining medical records of all UN personnel served by the clinic; observing medical confidentiality;
· Advising health and hygiene precautionary steps to be undertaken at the duty station;
· Conducting Contingent Owned Equipment (COE) Verification Inspections;
· Performing other related functions, when required by the Chief Medical Officer/Chief Medical Services;
· When working with (including supervising) national staff or (non-)governmental counterparts, the incumbent is strongly encouraged to set aside dedicated time for capacity development through coaching, mentoring and formal and on-the-job training;
Required degree level:
Education - Additional Comments:
Degree level: Doctoral degree
Type of Degree: Graduate of Doctor of Medicine or the equivalent.
At least 3 years of progressively responsible practical experience in the field of Medicine; experience in Emergency Medicine or Internal Medicine an asset; practical experience working in a cross-cultural environment would be an advantage.
- Ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate orally effectively;
- Proficiency in MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint).
- English(Mandatory), Level - Working Knowledge
- French(Mandatory), Level - Working Knowledge
Area of expertise:
General human medicine (with clinical experience), Specialized human medicine (with clinical experience)
Adaptability and Flexibility, Building Trust, Client Orientation, Communication, Judgement and Decision-making, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Self-Management, Technological Awareness, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 11-05-2021