Immigration Services Navigator
IRC's immigration legal services program serves more than 14,000 individuals in 23 sites throughout the U.S. each year, providing accessible and critical legal representation and advice to immigrants and their families in order to acquire the highest level of immigration status available, keep families together, access their full rights, and successfully integrate in the U.S.
IRC is a lead agency responding to the Afghan evacuation and will be serving thousands of Afghan parolees in the US this year through the Afghan Placement & Assistance (APA) program. Under the APA, the IRC is committed to ensure all Afghan parolees have access to legal services to identify potential legal pathways to remain in the United States lawfully. This position will support access to legal services for Afghan parolees by assisting APA clients to understand their legal status, helping them to navigate administrative processes where appropriate, and ensuring they are able to access a legal consultation.
· Provide orientations to clients on parole and immigration legal status implications
· Respond to appointment requests and coordinate with Immigration staff to facilitate referrals and schedule appointments where appropriate
· Work with the Immigration department to develop or maintain relationships with legal services agencies to organize joint activities, specifically legal orientations, legal screenings/ consultations, and/or pro se workshops
· Collaborate with colleagues to ensure clients receive information about their status and are able to access a legal consultation; conduct outreach to inform clients of any relevant changes in the law
· Answer majority of phone-based client inquiries and serve as the first point of contact for immigration legal services inquiries by clients
· Coordinate a small team of volunteers and interns to assist with activities such as workshops or as otherwise directed by the Immigration team
· Maintain accurate tracking record of all orientation, intake and outreach activities, partner organizations, contacts, etc. according to data collection protocols
· Assist with reminders for USCIS appointments through phone / text messaging, as needed
· Other duties, as assigned
· Bachelor’s degree in relevant field; related work experience will be considered in lieu of a bachelor’s degree.
· Previous experience with refugee / immigrant legal or social services strongly preferred.
· Front desk and/or customer service experience is preferred.
· Community-based outreach and/or work promoting immigrant rights experience is preferred.
· Experience with data entry and management are a plus.
· Demonstrated success working and communicating effectively in a multi-cultural environment and with Limited English Proficient populations.
· Able to work effectively in a team environment, as well as take independent initiative
· Excellent attention to detail and strong organizational skills
· Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook) and comfortable utilizing online software and programs.
· Excellent communication skills with proficiency in written and spoken English is required.
· Proficiency or fluency in Dari, Pashto, and/or Farsi strongly preferred.
· Demonstrated dedication to immigrant rights, social justice, and/or human rights based on work experience, volunteer service, or educational activities.
· Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to prioritize tasks and manage time effectively
· Standard office environment with occasional opportunities to participate in community outreach and legal assistance events.
· May require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement****: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires candidates who are selected for interview to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for this position.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity****: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer****: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.