Home-based Consultancy (28.5 days): Photographer - Europe and Central Asia Regional Office (ECARO), Rome, Italy
Application deadline 6 months ago: Tuesday 26 Jul 2022 at 21:55 UTCOpen application form
This is a Consultancy contract. More about Consultancy contracts.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Protection
Scope of Work
1. Specific activities to be completed to achieve the objectives:
Photographer to assist ECARO outposted office in Italy to organize a 5-day photo workshop:
- Liaise with ECARO outposted office ADAP team for guidance on presentation and treatment of the topics.
- Liaise with ECARO outposted office in order to prepare for the workshops.
- Prepare the presentations and activities for a 5-day workshop, including practical exercises.
- Conduct training and lead the methodology for at least 20 participants.
Photographer to lead in the preparation of a Photo exhibition of the materials produced during the workshop to be displayed in Rome and other locations:
- Photo materials designed and edited for the exhibition.
- Photos printed and framed.
- Design and layout of a digital version of the exhibition (example: https://tobianart.com/virtual-tour/).)
Photographer to produce a series of communication materials – highlighting adolescents’ perspective for the future. This includes:
- Design and layout of a set of postcards for use by UNICEF National Response in Italy which the photographer will design and print.
a. Photographer supplies all photographic equipment for workshop participants. b. UNICEF has non-exclusive concomitant world rights in all media in perpetuity.
Photographer will be responsible for the design, layout and printing of the exhibition and communication materials listed above.
Purpose of the Assignment
The consultant is 1) to organize and facilitate a 5-day workshop for adolescent migrants and refugees that will be held at the Accademia Italiana premises in Rome, UNICEF’s partner, with support from the UNICEF ADAP team; and 2) to produce an exhibition featuring adolescent migrants’ and refugees’ photographs on their lives in Italy.
Work Assignment Overview
Tasks / Milestone******Deliverables / Outputs******Timeline / DeadlineOrganization of the workshopProcurement of cameras for workshop participants0.5 working dayPreparation for the workshop in liaison with ECARO outposted office in Rome4 working days5-day workshop implemented in coordination with ECARO outposted office in Rome.5 working daysReport summarizing the highlights of workshop, shared with ECARO outposted office in Rome2 working daysExhibition of adolescent photographyOne exhibition of adolescent photography workshop materials designed, edited, printed and framed (22 photos)12 working days One digital exhibition of adolescent photography (layout)2 working days 1 set of postcards – design & printing3 working daysEstimated Duration of the Contract
28.5 days (August - December 2022)
Individual Contractor's Work Place and Official Travel
The assignment will be home-based in Italy.
The Consultant will will be required to travel to Rome to conduct a workshop. The Consultant will be responsible for organizing their travel. All travel expenses (tickets, accommodation, public transport, meals) will be reimbursed. The maximum amount for travel overall will be EUR 1,200.
- All UNICEF rules and regulations related to travel of Consultants/Individual Contractors apply.
- All travels shall be undertaken only upon the prior written approval by UNICEF.
- The consultant is responsible for his/her for travel arrangements. The most economic and direct route is authorized.
- Travel costs will be reimbursed after the completion of mission upon submission of the invoice together with the supporting documentation.
- The consultant must be fit to travel, be in a possession of the valid UN BSAFE certificate, obligatory inoculation(s) and have a valid own travel/medical insurance and an immunization/vaccination card.
Estimated Cost of the Consultancy & Payment Schedule
Payment will be made on submission of an invoice and satisfactory completion of the above-mentioned deliverables. Please indicate a daily fee based on 28.5 working days to undertake this assignment.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Bachelor's in photo journalism, communication, filmmaking or another relevant field. Years of experience (not less than 8) accompanied by professional certifications may replace the degree.
- At least seven years of professional experience in photography, including post-production, design, processing in graphics programmes.
- Experience in conducting photography workshops to children and adolescents, including photography techniques, group management for idea discussion, editing and captioning.
- Good organizational, analytical, communicational and advocacy skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work in multicultural situations requiring flexibility, imagination and creativity to achieve the project objectives.
- Fluency in English and Italian.
- Interested candidates should share a link to their portfolio.
- Experience working with UNICEF or other UN agencies in participatory communication projects is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA), and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Please include a full CV, a Financial Proposal, and your portfolio in your application. Additionally, indicate your availability and daily rate (in EUR) to undertake the terms of reference above, bearing in mind that the contract includes: a lumpsum for procurement of cameras (EUR 6,000), a lumpsum for printing (EUR 1,500), and a lumpsum for travel (EUR 1,200). Applications submitted without a daily rate will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
It should be noted that selected candidate will be responsible for arranging for their own health and medical insurance. This consultancy does not provide any other benefits other than the consultancy fee and 1.5 days leave entitlement per month and the UN official holidays. Selected consultant will be responsible for complying with local tax requirements and any tax liabilities that may arise as a result of the consultancy with UNICEF.
Individuals engaged under a consultancy or individual contract will not be considered “staff members” under the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and UNICEF’s policies and procedures, and will not be entitled to benefits provided therein (such as leave entitlements and medical insurance coverage). Their conditions of service will be governed by their contract and the General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of Consultants and Individual Contractors. Consultants and individual contractors are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local or other applicable laws.