Head of Field Engagement
Application deadline 6 months ago: Tuesday 2 Aug 2022 at 00:59 UTCOpen application form
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance
Head of Field Engagement
WFP Innovation Accelerator, INKA, Munich, Germany
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. We are currently seeking to fill a Head of Field Engagement position in the INKA division, based in Munich, Germany.
Brief description of WFP Innovation Accelerator, INKA:
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the United Nations frontline agency fighting hunger. WFP reaches more than 100 million people every day, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with smallholder farmers, communities, and governments to improve nutrition and build resilience. The WFP Innovation Accelerator was named by Fast Company as Most Innovative Non-Profit Organization 2021 for its work in identifying, nurturing, and scaling disruptive start-ups and innovations to end global hunger. Based in Munich, Germany, the WFP Innovation Accelerator provides WFP employees, entrepreneurs and start-ups with funding, hands-on support, and access to WFP’s global operations. Through the Innovation Accelerator, WFP is leveraging unprecedented advances in digital innovation - such as mobile technology, artificial intelligence and blockchain - and new business models to transform the way it serves vulnerable communities across the world. In 2021, Accelerator supported innovations that positively impacted the lives of 8.6 million people globally. Most recently, the Accelerator runs programmes for external partners such as the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and others. More information here: http://innovation.wfp.org and https://youtu.be/OnKkQlRdh2c.
● Title of Post: Head of Field Engagement ● Unit: Innovation Accelerator, Innovation and Knowledge Management Division (INKA) ● Country: Germany ● Duty Station: Munich ● Initial contract duration: 5 months ● Expected Start Date: 10.08.2022
Duties and responsibilities:
The Head of Field Engagement, reporting to the Head of Accelerator, is expected to:
1. Lead the Field Engagement team, identify and activate innovation network and engage in cultural transformation:
- Gather insights and requirements from different stakeholders within the organization to best design best practice sharing;
- Advice on best practice sharing structure and set up of innovation community within WFP including involvement of Headquarters, Country Offices and Regional Bureaus;
- Support the establishment and set up of regional and local innovation hubs to support innovation coordination, innovation knowledge management and scaling of projects across the region;
- Create awareness on innovation, scale-up enablement by dedicated campaigns and ongoing activities;
- Support Regional Bureaus and Country Offices to integrate innovation into their Country Strategic Plans and activities, as applicable and develop toolkit;
- Establish regular meetups to engage innovation network through newly defined programs;
- Provide guidance and advise on Scale-up related topics.
2. Actively support Accelerator’s development through effective management and act as a member of its management team:
- Lead efforts with the overall goal of making the Accelerator a more effective platform in mind;
- Work across different teams and articulate project manager/venture consultant role effectively within the Accelerator;
- Provide analysis & content preparation for corporate priority topics and executive management meetings.
3. Support Innovation Accelerator managerial and operative tasks:
- Take up lead roles in running workshops and events, core processes of the accelerator;
- Support the Head of the Innovation Accelerator and the Director of Innovation with any other activities and tasks as required.
Required qualifications and experience:
Education: Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree a plus. Experience: At least 8 years of progressively responsible national and/or international experience in a start-up, businesses/corporations or in the humanitarian or development sector. Experience in scale-up of social impact projects, business development and project management is a plus.
Required soft skills/WFP Competencies:
- Experience in project management within a global organization and start-up experience required;
- Demonstrated experience in cultural diversity and how it influences the design needs of the technical solutions to meet local requirements;
- Strong conceptual thinking to develop new business areas, new strategies and support innovative projects;
- Experience in leading teams, incl. work planning, operational management and team development;
- Ability to interact with senior stakeholders, leaders and external audiences with maturity and tact;
- Collaborative spirit able to liaise with a wide range of people at all levels and across different cultures and to act with credibility and diplomacy;
- Excellent communication/presentation skill;
- Strong time management skills with an ability to plan ahead, anticipate requirements, problems and obstacles, and an ability to juggle competing priorities successfully, and to work to tight deadlines;
- Self-motivated and able to work with a high degree of autonomy;
- Sets high-level of ambition for the project and own work to achieve impact for the hungry people we serve;
- Fully committed and motivated to achieve the aims of the UN World Food Programme.
- Fluency in oral and written English is mandatory. Intermediate knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish), Portuguese (one of WFP’s working languages) or German is beneficial.
Terms and Conditions:
WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience. Please visit the following website for detailed information on working with WFP: http://www.wfp.org Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply. WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
Fighting Hunger Worldwide