Application deadline in 10 days: Tuesday 18 May 2021
This is a UNV International Specialist contract. This kind of contract is known as International UN Volunteer. It is normally internationally recruited only. More about UNV International Specialist contracts.
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of task
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of GIS, duties of the GIS Specialist will include but are not limited to the following:
- Assist in timely preparation, maintenance and provision of geographic information and maps in support of the mission’s operations;
- Collect, process and evaluate geographic data, including vector, raster and thematic data;
- Compile large-scale operation maps and small-scale briefing/report maps;
- Archive mission geographic data and maintain and update geo-database system;
- Assist in providing geographic information training and education programmes for mission staff;
- Participate in field recognizance survey, road assessment using the Global Position System (GPS), the mobile data collection solutions and preparation of reports;
- Conduct aerial missions using Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs or Drones) to collect aerial photography of the areas of Interest for MONUSCO’s operations.
- When working with (including supervising) national staff or (non-)governmental counterparts, the incumbent is strongly encouraged to set aside dedicated time for capacity development through coaching, mentoring and formal and on-the-job training;
- Performs other related duties as required.
Required degree level:
Bachelor degree or equivalent
Education - Additional Comments:
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in GIS, Surveying, Geography and/or related field
At least 4 years in GIS and geo-spatial related information technology are required;
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- French(Optional), Level - Working Knowledge
Area of expertise:
Geographic information systems (GIS) and remote sensing
Area of expertise details:
Computer and related Skills:
- Experience with database management and geo-database systems is desirable;
- Practical experience in image processing using software ArcGIS and ERDAS software is required;
- Practical experience for conduction air missions using Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs or Drones) is desirable;
- Knowledge and practical experience of using various types of GPS for data collection; Knowledge and practical experience with MS Office, ArcInfo, ArcEditor, ArcView, and its extensions such as 3D analyst or Spatial analyst is desirable;
Client Orientation, Communication, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 18-05-2021