Application deadline 2 months ago: Tuesday 18 May 2021 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a UNV National Specialist contract. This kind of contract is known as National UN Volunteer. It is normally only for nationals. More about UNV National Specialist contracts.
Minimum age: 22 years old. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
Description of task
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of GIS Technical Officer or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UNV GIS specialist will:
- Prepare the needed GIS templates and thematic maps for map production and cartography
- Develop GIS web applications to automate the map production process to represent diseases’ data such as distribution of cases, attack rates, mortality rates…etc
- Support the team to identify technological applications and GIS applications that are suitable for the nature of the outbreak and the gaps in the member states.
- Support on performing the needed spatial analysis and geoprocessing tools to explore the geodata structure and the geo-relations for decision making support.
- Support on the assessment of national GIS capacity, availability of infrastructure, availability of baseline data. Identify potential use of GIS in the context of the outbreak. Enable training and deployment of relevant GIS products. Conceptualize and develop guidelines/checklist for the use/deployment of GIS in outbreak response
- Support on promoting the use of remote sensing and image analysis to estimate the information in emergency countries with low data reporting.
- Support on building updated geodatabase for EMR countries.
- Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
Required degree level:
Bachelor degree or equivalent
Education - Additional Comments:
Technical diploma in a GIS and Remote Sensing field,
University degree in a GIS-related field such as cartography, geomatics, geography, remote sensing, engineering, surveying, spatial analysis, environmental, urban or regional planning combined and/or computer science or
Bachelor’s degree in a relevant area, e.g. Engineering or area related to Geographic information system;
- At least 2 years of professional work experience at the national and/or international level in Working experience with ESRI tools ( ArcGIS, Spatial and Image analyst extensions ,ArcGIS Online , ArcGIS server , areas of expertise (Development of GIS web applications );
- Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills;
Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing;
Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development;
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment;
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines;
- Sound security awareness.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Arabic(Mandatory), Level - Working Knowledge
Area of expertise:
Development programme management, Geographic information systems (GIS) and remote sensing, Other information and telecommunications technology experience
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Building Trust, Client Orientation, Communication, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Technological Awareness, Vision, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
This is a national UN Volunteer assignment, therefore only nationals of Egypt and legal residents in Egypt with the status of refugee or with the status of being stateless are eligible to apply.
Application deadline: 18-05-2021