Front Desk Caseworker
Job Overview: The Front Desk Caseworker provides a broad variety of support services to the Sacramento office, while being responsible for staffing the front desk and overseeing the reception area. The position is also responsible for completing general administrative and client coordination tasks, including overseeing front desk/reception interns and volunteers, providing intake and assistance with clients, and referring clients to appropriate programs and services. The Front Desk Caseworker is responsible for maintaining a welcoming and professional customer service-focused environment, ensuring clients and visitors are directed efficiently to the appropriate programs and staff members, and responding to inquiries about IRC’s services. The Front Desk Caseworker provides support to newly arrived refugees, SIVs, and the immigrant community at large by providing direct service coordination to assist clients in enrolling and accessing public benefits and providing individual intake and assessments for emergency direct assistance needs, as well as coaching to address clients’ long-term barriers, including language access and systems navigation support. This position will work collaboratively across the Sacramento office and reports to the HR and Office Coordinator.
Front Desk Responsibilities:
• Provide support to the Sacramento office by serving as a focal point for day-to-day front office administration;
• Greet clients, visitors, donors, job candidates, and other important IRC stakeholders with a high degree of professionalism;
• Collect payments and assists with appointments for immigration and legal services;
• Oversee operations in both reception offices and copy rooms, including receiving and distributing mail and deliveries, restocking office supplies, and posting office closure signs;
• Assist with overseeing front office interns and volunteers, including arranging full intern coverage of both reception desks;
• Maintain a clean and welcoming waiting room;
• Provide interpretation between clients, and program staff and interns at the front office;
• Assist with processing applications for walk-ins seeking SIV Resettlement services;
• Coordinate with program staff across departments to direct calls and walk-in requests to appropriate programs for pre-assessments;
• Work in collaboration with program staff to create and maintain a regularly updated collection of local client resources and contacts;
• Receive and distribute mail and deliveries;
• Maintain a check-in system for client appointments across departments;
• Regularly update front office memos and announcements board, and inform occasional interns/volunteers of policy changes as necessary;
• Other related activities as assigned.
Client Benefits Assistance:
· Assist newly arrived refugees, SIVs, and parolees to understand the public benefit system and eligibility requirements;
· Provide targeted support to refugees and SIVs for enrolling in and access all forms of eligible benefits;
· Complete emergency direct assistance assessments, intakes, case notes, and financial forms.
· Offer individual coaching and ongoing service coordination to clients on navigating systems including, but not limited to, food stamps, health insurance, unemployment, and cash aid;
- Provide comprehensive language access to clients through bi-lingual and culturally congruent services; - Address barriers faced by refugees in accessing benefits through service coordination and advocacy with administrating agencies;
· Ensure accurate enrollment paperwork, case notes, and tracking of services, referrals, and outcomes;
· Offer clients timely information on and referral to community service providers and resources, as needed;
· Associate’s degree with an emphasis in Social Work, Public Health, International Studies or an equivalent field of study required; Bachelor’s degree preferred;
· 2+ years of related professional experience required. Case management or experience serving refugee populations preferred;
· Ability to speak a refugee language strongly desired.
· Previous multi-cultural experience and demonstrated ability to communicate well with people of varied backgrounds strongly preferred;
· Thorough knowledge and comfort supporting others in navigating the healthcare system a plus;
· Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to make presentations required;
· Strong computer skills, particularly Word and Excel required. Prior experience using data and tracking systems strongly preferred.
· Attention to detail and ability to organize and track large amounts of information efficiently and accurately.
· Commitment to teamwork and collaboration across all of IRC’s programs.
· Highly motivated with an ability to work independently, develop new classes and programming, and be a self-starter, maintaining responsibility for multiple tasks.
· Standard office work environment coupled with regular travel in and around the service delivery area.
· Currently teleworking until further notice due to COVID-19.
· Reoccurring need to provide services outside of traditional work hours (evenings and weekends).
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement****: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires candidates who are selected for interview to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for this position
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity****: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer****: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
US Benefits: We offer a comprehensive and highly competitive set of benefits. In the US, these include: 10 sick days, 10 US holidays, 20-25 paid time off days depending on role and tenure, medical insurance starting at $120 per month, dental starting at $7 per month, and vision starting at $5 per month, FSA for healthcare and commuter costs, a 403b retirement savings plans with immediately vested matching, disability & life insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program which is available to our staff and their families to support counseling and care in times of crisis and mental health struggles.