Food Security and Agriculture Data Analyst
Application deadline 13 days ago: Tuesday 14 Jun 2022 at 21:59 UTCOpen application form
The position is located in Islamabad. Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) in Pakistan focuses its efforts on poverty reduction, food security, sustainable livelihoods and rural development. FAO has partnered with the Government of Pakistan on research and development, training, extension services and strengthening of the staff capacity in planning and policy making. FAO has supported improvements in agricultural policy analysis, strengthened institutions. Enhanced integrated area development and expanded participation of marginalized and vulnerable communities in sustainable development.
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Pakistan, under direct supervision of International Monitoring and Evaluation Officer and technical supervision of Statistician-FAO, the Food Security and Agriculture Data Analyst will undertake his/her duties.
• Strong analytical knowledge of agriculture, food security and livelihoods in the context of Pakistan; • Working knowledge of advanced statistics with ability to use statistical software packages (in particular SPSS , STATA and/or R); • Programming of tools in KOBO/ODK interface
Tasks and responsibilities
• Assist in coordinating the collection and analysis of data to inform the impacts of COVID-19 and other shocks on agriculture, food supply and rural livelihoods • Assist in collecting the baseline and secondary data to enable comparisons and triangulation. Secondary data can refer to food prices monitoring, agricultural inputs prices monitoring, international trade figures, food security outcomes, containment measures, social protection measures, remote-sensing-based seasonal monitoring etc. • Assist in the choice of data collection modalities (Computer-Assisted Telephone Interviews, web surveys, or face-to-face) and interfaces (international service provider, local partner, in-house call centre etc.) • Search for existing sampling frames and consolidate lists of respondents with phone numbers • Assist in the adaptation of generic questionnaires to context-specific circumstances and objectives • Contribute to the programming of tools (take the lead in case of Kobo / ODK interface) • Assist in developing training materials and participate to enumerator training sessions • Communicate with relevant authorities on the implementation of the surveys • Conduct additional semi-structured interviews with key informants in order to dig for specific issues, as needed • Contribute to the analysis and interpretation of collected data • Monitor the publication of studies and data produced by other stakeholders in the country • Help draft and review monitoring reports and visual products (e.g. dashboards), using standard templates • Assist in communicating the assessment findings and reports to other actors, through Food Security Clusters for instance • Contribute to FAO corporate learning processes and documentation about COVID-19 assessments • Perform any other relevant tasks related to data analysis
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in agricultural economics, economics, statistics or other related discipline relevant to the mandate of the Organization; • Minimum of 3 years of proven knowledge and experience in assessments, data analysis, surveillance systems, or monitoring and evaluation in the context of emergencies and food crises; • Working knowledge of English; • National of Pakistan
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus • Teamwork • Communication • Building Effective Relationships • Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Ability to work under pressure and adapt to an evolving and complex humanitarian context and within multidisciplinary and different cultural background teams; • Strong analytical skills and knowledge of agriculture, food security and livelihoods in the context of Pakistan; • Experience or familiarity with food security and livelihoods assessments methodologies, including surveillance or monitoring systems, agricultural production assessment, market analysis etc.; • Experience in survey design, sampling, data collection, data analysis, and interpretation for assessment processes in agriculture and food security; • Expertise in remote data collection including phone or web-based surveys and/or remote-sensing would be a plus; • Proven data visualization and reporting skills; • Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, and strong spirit of teamwork; • Coordination skills with strong individual planning capacity; • Willing to undertake field visits as required; • Having Knowledge of United Nations and International Organizations’ administrative policies and procedures.
Candidates will be assessed against the requirements listed above.
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: [email protected]
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
- For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required. Vaccination status will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.