Finance Officer - Maiduguri/Bama) - Internal Only
The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, IRC offers life-saving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in more than 40 countries and in 22 U.S. cities, IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted by conflict or disaster. IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization responded to flooding in Kogi state. In February 2014 the IRC moved into Adamawa State in NE Nigeria to provide humanitarian interventions through a multi-sectoral, integrated approach for conflict affected populations. IRC Nigeria now operates a country office in Abuja and field offices in Mubi and Yola of Adamawa State, Maiduguri, Gwoza, Magumeri, Bama and Monguno of Borno state and Damatru of Yobe State. Currently, IRC Nigeria implements programs primary health care, nutrition, environmental health, women’s protection and empowerment, protection, child protection, education, food security & livelihoods
The Finance Officer reports to the Finance Manager in managing all aspects of day-to-day operations of accounting department assisting in the implementation of Finance policies, procedures and systems and ensuring compliance with IRC procedures and guidelines.
- Supporting in managing all aspects of day-to-day operations of accounting department in field office. - Assist in the implementation of Finance policies, procedures and systems. - Ensure compliance with IRC procedures and guidelines. - Supervise the Finance Assistant and ensure copies of all finance documents are properly filed. - Submit expenditure worksheets to the Finance Head Office on or before 3rd of every subsequent month. - Review all payment documents for proper and adequate back up. - Review expenditure worksheets for accuracy and completeness. - Liaison with Logistics, Administration and Program, prepare commitment lists every month for financial obligations already entered into but not captured in financial reports. - Prepare bank reconciliation for field office by 2nd of every month. - Liaison with field office bank on all banking issues. - Ensure that statutory deductions are paid on time to avoid any penalty. - Forward to the payroll Administrator every month, an outstanding personnel advances and charges related to T7 for recovery. Ensure that advances taken in a given month are liquidated appropriately. - Conduct occasional time sheet audits for field office. - Assist Finance Manager with balance sheet reconciliations. - Help in following up advances’ liquidations. - Manage Field Office Daily cash
- Serve as technical resource person for the accounting department.
- Review all POs and PRs for proper coding and budget adequacy before approval. - In liaison with Procurements and Logistics to prepare commitment lists every month for financial obligations already entered into but not captured in financial reports
Finance / Budgeting:
- Act at all times in accordance with local law and standards of accounting practice. - Review with the objective of gaining a clear understanding budget guideline and instructions. - Review funding allocations to enable proper guidance to programs and proper coding. - Provide training to program staff on finance issues. - Produce monthly and quarterly reports.
Security / Communication:
- Communicate with Finance main office on security issues within the office and outside the office. - Report to the Finance Manager/Finance Coordinator any irregularities that occur within the IRC office, staff compound and sites on policy and procedures. - Perform other duties as may be assigned by your supervisor.
Key Working Relationships
Position Reports to: Finance Manager
Indirect/Technical Reporting: Finance Coordinator
Position directly Supervises: None
Key Internal Contacts:
Education: HND or Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting from recognized College/Institutions.
- Minimum of Three (3) years of professional accounting experience. - Computer literate with significant knowledge/experience in excel. - INGO Finance experience is highly desired.
- Able to work in a high-pressure situation, solve problems and resolve conflicts. - Able to independently organize work, prioritize tasks and manage time. - Strong interpersonal skills, able to coach and support others. - Self-motivated, honest, highly responsible, and punctual.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, fluent in written and spoken English. - Fluency in local context language is highly desirable.
Computer/Other Tech Requirements:
Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint. Add position-specific (e.g. accounting software, statistical software, etc.).
Ability to Travel: 100% of time if applicable
Standards of Professional Conduct The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
Gender Equality****: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.