Job Overview****: The Employment Specialist guides, prepares, and empowers newly arrived refugees to achieve financial self-sufficiency through employment. The Employment Specialist is responsible for managing and documenting service provision, working collaboratively with team members, and meeting performance goals. Specifically, the Employment Specialist provides services that include intakes and assessments, employment preparation, job readiness training, placement support, career enhancement services and follow-up services. This position also works within a team to maintain and nurture existing employer relationships. This position reports to the Workforce Development Manager.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
· Providing comprehensive intake, assessment, orientation, and pre-employment/job readiness classes to clients eligible for employment services.
· Providing job counseling and case management support to newly arrived refugees.
· Conducting group and one-on-one job readiness courses that provide clients with the basic skills required to enhance their employability, such as cultural and workplace orientation, mock interviews, creation of resumes, and job skills development sessions.
· Developing engaging, tailored, and comprehensive employment plans for each employable adult.
· Keeping accurate digital and physical attendance, assessment, and, service provision records.
· Developing and cultivating long term relationships with area employers in order to identify appropriate employment opportunities for clients.
· Determining specific employment opportunities appropriate to clients and assisting clients in accessing these opportunities by guiding them through the hiring process.
· Monitoring client job performance, wage level, and employer/employee satisfaction.
· Assisting clients and employers as necessary with post placement issues and continuing employment needs.
· Ensuring timely and accurate compliance to all reporting requirements, including database management, case noting, and file maintenance.
· Developing and coordinating training programs to assist with career development opportunities.
· Supervise and assist program interns and volunteers.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Bachelor’s degree in social work or related field of study; or equivalent work experience.
· Minimum of 2 years relevant work experience in human services field preferred.
· Supervisory or mentoring experience desired.
· Demonstrated experience with the US job search process and the ability to effectively coach clients through the nuanced process of securing employment;
· Familiarity with the Sacramento job market strongly preferred;
· Ability to work as part of a team and to oversee volunteers and interns;
· Proven success achieving goals and working effectively with all levels of staff in a fast-paced, rapidly changing, multi-cultural environment;
· Demonstrated success working and communicating effectively in a multi-cultural environment;
· Proven ability to contribute both independently and as a team member.
· Self-starter with excellent problem solving skills combined with the proven ability to multi-task, prioritize duties, take initiative, and manage time effectively.
· Fluent in English, both spoken and written; bilingual ability in another language is desired.
· Excels in using Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook) and online databases.
· Valid driver’s license, access to a reliable vehicle with current insurance, and the willingness to travel regularly throughout the service delivery area.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Employment Manager Position directly supervises: Volunteers and Interns
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: IRC Employees, clients, interns, volunteers External: Current and potential client employers
· A combination of standard office environment, work-from-home, and ‘field’ time in and around the service delivery area.
· May require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
Benefits: We offer our employees phenomenal benefits such as paid parental leave, generous time off, and excellent medical, dental, and vision options!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.